advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Have you noticed once you go past a specific training volume you develop tendonitus?

headtrainer

Registered
I’m 55 years old and every time I exceed around 10-12 “work sets” per body part once a week—I gradually develop tendinitis ( specifically in the shoulders, elbows, biceps, and knees) Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've noticed this as I get older. Since I'm doing less volume I group more bodyparts together (like one day entire upper body, another day entire lower and core). This leaves more days of from lifting for active recovery things like yoga.

I did have that issue as I train very high volume with little rest. I found my tendonitis was more due to the movements I was doing and the limited range of motion I was using. This was especially true for my shoulders.

Always had tight rear Delts and regularly heard popping when I rotated my shoulders. I started doing lateral raises with cables (which started painful). Chest fly's and butterfly's with increased ROM ,and behind the head lat pulldown.

Sounds ridiculous but I kept logs and that is the only change I have made in the gym.
Reducing inflammatory foods has helped also.

Stretching has never worked for me but increase ROM while under weight has worked. I hate missing days at the gym, and taking rest days is like pulling teeth.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

i ve more tendonitis when i train heavy

Yeah, I've noticed this as I get older. Since I'm doing less volume I group more bodyparts together (like one day entire upper body, another day entire lower and core). This leaves more days of from lifting for active recovery things like yoga.

I've been getting interested in yoga. Can you recommend a link or such for someone that has never done it? A starting point to get into it?

I did have that issue as I train very high volume with little rest. I found my tendonitis was more due to the movements I was doing and the limited range of motion I was using. This was especially true for my shoulders.

Always had tight rear Delts and regularly heard popping when I rotated my shoulders. I started doing lateral raises with cables (which started painful). Chest fly's and butterfly's with increased ROM ,and behind the head lat pulldown.

Sounds ridiculous but I kept logs and that is the only change I have made in the gym.
Reducing inflammatory foods has helped also.

Stretching has never worked for me but increase ROM while under weight has worked. I hate missing days at the gym, and taking rest days is like pulling teeth.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

What are the "inflammatory foods" that you have reduced your intake of?

I remember the worst case of tendonitis I ever had was from firing a bow for hours on end over a weekend, and it was my first time ever using one. My biceps tendon was extremely painful for days. I think the volume is something you have to build up to slowly over time. So if you go from doing 6 sets of chest to 10 for chest in one big jump that is going to cause problems.

Heavy training, not staying hydrated properly, a lot of volume, not warming up, and not getting enough rest for recovery I notice it flares up more.

drugs that can increase those symptoms are mast and winny for me.

as long as I keep everything in check I’m good!

Went a step further. Tendonosis. Heavy training for long periods without a break bought this on. Damaged tendons. In some cases beyond repair.

Heavy training, not staying hydrated properly, a lot of volume, not warming up, and not getting enough rest for recovery I notice it flares up more.

drugs that can increase those symptoms are mast and winny for me.

as long as I keep everything in check I’m good!

Yes winstrol is a tendon killer !

I've been getting interested in yoga. Can you recommend a link or such for someone that has never done it? A starting point to get into it?
I've tried all the different styles, and think that standard 90 minute Bikram (26+2) might be the best starting point. You take time in the poses and there are no down dogs and chaterungas that mess with your shoulders. You also get some cardio benefit due to the heat. I would do it on days you don't lift.

I'm in the "only if I go heavy" camp.

Went a step further. Tendonosis. Heavy training for long periods without a break bought this on. Damaged tendons. In some cases beyond repair.

Exactly. This is not fun and why you want to deload the tendinitis before tendonosis happens and then you need to use slow eccentrics until the tendon remodels. Ive had this in my patellar tendon and long head of my bicep.

Anytime I increase a pulling exercise, I get tendonitis in my forearm. Anytime I increase a pushing exercise, my shoulder starts hurting. It takes usually 2 weeks for the pain to appear after increasing it. If I keep volume the same which for me is between 20 and 24 for big bodyparts and 8 and 12 for small ones, I'm pain free.

I’m 55 years old and every time I exceed around 10-12 “work sets” per body part once a week—I gradually develop tendinitis ( specifically in the shoulders, elbows, biceps, and knees) Anyone else experiencing this same problem?
At my age of 51 I absolutely agree with you. My elbows swell up if I do too many sets for arms or chest. 12-15 sets for chest is good. Some days I can tell not to go past that 13th set. For arms 10-12 sets for each bicep and tricep. When I do more I pay the price with my elbows.

Going too heavy for too long gives it too me. Once I start feeling it coming on I just lighten up for a week or so until it goes away

Yep. That's why recently I've just been sticking to Volume Tier 1 of Fortitude Training - whereas I used to pyramid up to Volume Tier II. Best my joints have felt in a long time after several months at lower volume.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws