over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HCG for fat loss?

pesty4077

Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Staff member
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Can someone enlighten me on this new diet fad, HCG (23 or 43 day) for fat loss? This info commercial guy, Kevin Trudeau is promoting it.

Do a Youtube search, there are tons of women using it. I haven't seen too many guys. Small does of HCG daily for weight loss. DR. Simeons.

**broken link removed**

is a web site that promotes the supplies.

Sounds like Hocus Pocus, though.

Last edited:
Can someone enlighten me on this new diet fad, HCG (23 or 43 day) for fat loss? This info commercial guy, Kevin Trudeau is promoting it.

It's BS. Search on "HCG and fat loss" chances are you'll find the only positive feedback is by websites offering the treatment. Some "clinics" have gotten in trouble with the FDA over this as well.

HCG in higher doses used to be used in the 1970-80's in for contest prep..not sure if it is used anymore...but 75-125 mgs a day ain't gonna do jack...I tried it on 2004 with B-12 and the low doses didn't do jack but create needless pinholes.

Very popular...

with the women. It is basically a starvation diet. It is only like 500 cals a day of specific foods. My understanding of it is the body is technically starving, but the hcg does something with the hormones to trick the body into thinking it is not starving. At least that has been my understanding. Check it out below.

HCG daily 125IUs
23 HCG injections
26 days of 500 cal/day diet (3 days past last injection)

10000 IUs HCG 2000 20ml Bac.Water
125 IUs HCG 25 0.25ml or 25IUs

Diet starts after third injection or on the 3rd day of treatment - best time to inject first thing in the morning.

Breakfast: Tea/Coffee - no milk or sugar (stevia might be used)

Lunch: 100 grams (veal,chicken breast,white fish,shrimp) All visible fat removed prior to
cooking and food weight raw. Grilled or boiled without additional fat.

1 type veggie (spinach,green salad,tomatoes,celery,red radishes,cucumbers,asparagus,
cabbage) - raw or steamed.

1 breadstick (grissino) or one Melba toast.

1 fruit (apple,handful of strawberries,1/2 grapefruit)

Dinner: Same as Lunch

The juice of one lemon daily is allowed. Best to drink in the morning with warm water.

Salt,pepper,vinegar,mustard powder,garlic,sweet basil,parlsey,thyme,etc may be used for seasoning,
but no oil,butter or dressing.

Tea,coffee,plain water, or mineral water are the only drinks allowed, but they may be taken in any
quantity and at all times. Good to drink 2L of water daily.

The fruit or the breadstick may be eaten between meals instead of with lunch or dinner, but not more
than the four items listed for lunch and dinner may be eaten at one meal.

No medicines or cosmetics other than lipstick,eyebrow pencil and powder may be used.
(no lotions, conditioners, and fat-containing cosmetics and shampoos)

Vitamin C can be used, if cold or anything

The diet continues for 3 days after the last injection

The subject can resume normal eating after, except sugars and starches (sugar, rice, bread, potatoes,
pastries, etc.).
The weight should stabilize within 3 weeks. Every day weighing in the morning is recommended.
After 3 weeks, very gradually add starch in small quantities, always controlled by morning weighting.

Don't combine fats and carbs. Do fats and protein or protein and carbs - this is especially important during the
first three weeks after ceasation of the treatment.

If the weight goes over 2 lbs of post treatment weight, the patient should skip breakfast and lunch and drink
plenty of water instead. In the evening they must eat a huge steak with only an apple or a raw tomato.

An ex-patient should never gain more than two poiunds without immediately correcting this, but it is equally
undersirable that more than two lbs. be lost after treatment, because a greater loss is always achieved at the
expense of normal fat. Any normal fat that is lost is invariably regained as soon as more food is taken, and
it often happens that this rebound overshoots the upper two lbs. limit.

If no immunity present, can continue up to 40 injections. Will stop during period and resume right after. Diet
continues throughout the period.
Second course can be started after 6 weeks.

Thanks alot, I ran into a guy at Vitamin Shoppe that said he was on it. This guy weighed at least 225 at 5'9" around 30% BF. When he told me he was only eating 600-800 calories a day, taking HCG shots, I basically told him that can't be healthy. You are robbing your body of not only your basic calorie intake and nutrients, but they are probally losing muscle. Never seems to amazed me, how stupidity will rule out reason.

It works - as per Gordo's post.

Not sure how good it is on preserving muscle - it's supposed to.

You have to run it in cycles, if I recall correctly no longer than 23 days and some will lose 15lbs or more during that cycle. Results vary of course.

Thanks alot, I ran into a guy at Vitamin Shoppe that said he was on it. This guy weighed at least 225 at 5'9" around 30% BF. When he told me he was only eating 600-800 calories a day, taking HCG shots, I basically told him that can't be healthy. You are robbing your body of not only your basic calorie intake and nutrients, but they are probally losing muscle. Never seems to amazed me, how stupidity will rule out reason.

I read quiet a bit on the subject before. Your body is supposed to get nutrients from existing fat stores or something similar - there is some mechanism that involves HCG. Not sure if any of these claims have been supported though.

In N.America, people can get on it through a hospital or through their GP I believe or you do your own admin.

It works - as per Gordo's post.

Not sure how good it is on preserving muscle - it's supposed to.

You have to run it in cycles, if I recall correctly no longer than 23 days and some will lose 15lbs or more during that cycle. Results vary of course.

Finny, I understands it works, if I starve myself, I am sure I can lose weight without HCG shots. I see you got to basically keep on staving yourself for a while, I am just questioning the health risks, like lowering your immune system. To me, it just can't be healthy. I do appreciate your responses, I am just trying to learn more.

Finny, I understands it works, if I starve myself, I am sure I can lose weight without HCG shots. I see you got to basically keep on staving yourself for a while, I am just questioning the health risks, like lowering your immune system. To me, it just can't be healthy. I do appreciate your responses, I am just trying to learn more.

That's the point there is no magical mechanism to HCG, 500 blooming calories a day and you'll be like a dead zombie. Not practical at all for bb'ers OK for lard buckets though. Only way to learn is to ask questions though as I see a lot of confusion out there when people post HCG and fat loss. It's like what came first the HCG or the starvation diet.

Agreed, 500cal will give you weight loss no matter what.

Here is a difference though. Try to go on a 500cal diet without using HCG. You will be 'wasting' away and you will go mad from hunger. Most people report that they are not hungry, just empty.

As far as health risks, as mentioned, there might be some mechanism that 'utilizes' existing stores???

Not saying I agree or disagree with the diet, but some people might be too quick to disregard it. As I said, not enough studies or medical backing on the method.

Pesty, I don't think you will find any studies on the method - mostly personal accounts or beliefs.

This HCG fat los method should never be posted on a bb'ing board-who here can eat 500 calories a day and train?
There is plenty of stuff out there that discounts it as quackery.

HCG Worthless as Weight-Loss Aid
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. More than 50 years ago, Dr. Albert T. Simeons, a British-born physician, contended that HCG injections would enable dieters to subsist comfortably on a 500-calorie-a-day diet. He claimed that HCG would mobilize stored fat; suppress appetite; and redistribute fat from the waist, hips, and thighs [1]. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims [2-13]. Moreover, a 500-calorie (semi-starvation) diet is likely to result in loss of protein from vital organs, and HCG can cause other adverse effects. Gabe Mirkin, M.D., has noted:

At one time, HCG was the most widespread obesity medication administered in the United States. Some doctors liked it because it assured them of a steady clientele. Patients had to come in once a week for an injection [14].

Government Regulation
In 1976, the FTC ordered the Simeon Management Corporation, Simeon Weight Clinics Foundation, Bariatrics Management Corporation, C.M. Norcal, Inc., and HCG Weight Clinics Foundation and their officers to stop claiming that their HCG-based programs were safe, effective, and/or approved by the FDA for weight-control. Although the order did not stop the clinics from using HCG, it required that patients who contract for the treatment be informed in writing that:

THESE WEIGHT REDUCTION TREATMENTS INCLUDE THE INJECTION OF HCG, A DRUG WHICH HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE IN THE TREATMENT OF OBSITY OR WEIGHT CONTROL. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT HCG INCEASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR "NORMAL" DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIE-RESTRICTIVE DIETS [15].

Since 1975, the FDA has required labeling and advertising of HCG to state:

HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.

Promotion By Kevin Trudeau
Negative studies and government action reduced the use of HGC injections for weight control close to zero. However, their promotion by infomercial king Kevin Trudeau may cause their use to increase. His 2007 book, The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About, claims that "an absolute cure for obesity was discovered almost fifty years ago" but was "suppressed" by the AMA, the FDA, and "other medical establishments throughout the world." Trudeau further claims that until now, "this miracle weight loss breakthrough has been hidden from the public so that drug companies can make billions of dollars selling their expensive drug treatments and surgical procedures for obesity." The alleged cure consists of HCG injections plus 50 to 60 required and recommended do's and don'ts [16].

In September 2007, the FTC charged Kevin Trudeau with violating a court order by misrepresenting the contents of the book. In infomercials, Trudeau falsely claimed that the book's weight-loss plan is easy to do, can be done at home, and ultimately allows readers to eat whatever they want. Previous FTC action had led to a court order banning from using infomercials to sell any product, service, or program except for books and other publications The order specified that he not misrepresent the content of the books. The FTC is now charging that he violated that narrow exemption [17].

References
Simeons ATW. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:946-947, 1954.
Asher WL, Harper HW. Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on weight loss, hunger and feeling of well-being. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 26:211–218, 1973.
Bosch B and others. Human chorionic gonadotrophin and weight loss. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. South African Medical Journal 77:185–189, 1990.
Carne S. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:1282–1284, 1961.

Craig LS and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in the treatment of obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963.
Frank BW. The use of chorionic gonadotrophin hormone in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 14:133–136, 1964.
Greenway FL, Bray GA. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity: a critical assessment of the Simeons method. West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977.
Shetty KR, Kalkhoff RK. Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) treatment of obesity. Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977.
Lebon P. Treatment of overweight patients with chorionic gonadotrophin: follow-up study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 14:116–125, 1966.
Lijesen GK and others. The effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 49:237–243, 1995.
Miller R, Schneiderman LJ. A clinical study of the use of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction. Journal of Family Practice 4:445–448, 1977.
Stein MR and others. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976.
Young RL and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study. JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976.
Mirkin G. Getting Thin. Boston: Little Brown & Co., 1983.
In the matter of Simeon Management Corporation et al. Order, opinion etc., in regard to alleged violation of Secs. 5 and 12 of the Federal Trade Commission Act. Docket 8996. Complaint, Oct 15, 1974. Final Order April 29, 1976.
Trudeau K. The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About. Alliance Publishing, 2007.
FTC: Marketer Kevin Trudeau violated prior court order. FTC news release, Sept 14, 2007.
This article was revised on September 18, 2007.

Scam.

I knew a guy that tried that diet about a year ago.He was actually a personal trainer at my gym and really wasnt that over weight ,but any way
he wanted to lean out for summer.He did lose weight but i looked more like he lost muscle rather than fat.Besides that I would not put much confidence in
Kevin Trudeau's credibility.In my opion overweight people are the most taken advantage people in our country.Seems like there's a new pill or new diet or new ab machine everytime you turn on the tv.

I think.....

from what i have seen or heard. It is a diet that has been shown to work well in middle aged women that are not concerned with muscle mass, just scale weight, fat reduction and quick results. It is not intended to be used by a 220 pound body builder.

This HCG fat los method should never be posted on a bb'ing board-who here can eat 500 calories a day and train?
There is plenty of stuff out there that discounts it as quackery.

HCG Worthless as Weight-Loss Aid
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) is a hormone found in the urine of pregnant women. More than 50 years ago, Dr. Albert T. Simeons, a British-born physician, contended that HCG injections would enable dieters to subsist comfortably on a 500-calorie-a-day diet. He claimed that HCG would mobilize stored fat; suppress appetite; and redistribute fat from the waist, hips, and thighs [1]. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims [2-13]. Moreover, a 500-calorie (semi-starvation) diet is likely to result in loss of protein from vital organs, and HCG can cause other adverse effects. Gabe Mirkin, M.D., has noted:

At one time, HCG was the most widespread obesity medication administered in the United States. Some doctors liked it because it assured them of a steady clientele. Patients had to come in once a week for an injection [14].

Government Regulation
In 1976, the FTC ordered the Simeon Management Corporation, Simeon Weight Clinics Foundation, Bariatrics Management Corporation, C.M. Norcal, Inc., and HCG Weight Clinics Foundation and their officers to stop claiming that their HCG-based programs were safe, effective, and/or approved by the FDA for weight-control. Although the order did not stop the clinics from using HCG, it required that patients who contract for the treatment be informed in writing that:

THESE WEIGHT REDUCTION TREATMENTS INCLUDE THE INJECTION OF HCG, A DRUG WHICH HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE IN THE TREATMENT OF OBSITY OR WEIGHT CONTROL. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT HCG INCEASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR "NORMAL" DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIE-RESTRICTIVE DIETS [15].

Since 1975, the FDA has required labeling and advertising of HCG to state:

HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.

Promotion By Kevin Trudeau
Negative studies and government action reduced the use of HGC injections for weight control close to zero. However, their promotion by infomercial king Kevin Trudeau may cause their use to increase. His 2007 book, The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About, claims that "an absolute cure for obesity was discovered almost fifty years ago" but was "suppressed" by the AMA, the FDA, and "other medical establishments throughout the world." Trudeau further claims that until now, "this miracle weight loss breakthrough has been hidden from the public so that drug companies can make billions of dollars selling their expensive drug treatments and surgical procedures for obesity." The alleged cure consists of HCG injections plus 50 to 60 required and recommended do's and don'ts [16].

In September 2007, the FTC charged Kevin Trudeau with violating a court order by misrepresenting the contents of the book. In infomercials, Trudeau falsely claimed that the book's weight-loss plan is easy to do, can be done at home, and ultimately allows readers to eat whatever they want. Previous FTC action had led to a court order banning from using infomercials to sell any product, service, or program except for books and other publications The order specified that he not misrepresent the content of the books. The FTC is now charging that he violated that narrow exemption [17].

References
Simeons ATW. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:946-947, 1954.
Asher WL, Harper HW. Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on weight loss, hunger and feeling of well-being. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 26:211–218, 1973.
Bosch B and others. Human chorionic gonadotrophin and weight loss. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. South African Medical Journal 77:185–189, 1990.
Carne S. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:1282–1284, 1961.

Craig LS and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in the treatment of obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963.
Frank BW. The use of chorionic gonadotrophin hormone in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 14:133–136, 1964.
Greenway FL, Bray GA. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity: a critical assessment of the Simeons method. West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977.
Shetty KR, Kalkhoff RK. Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) treatment of obesity. Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977.
Lebon P. Treatment of overweight patients with chorionic gonadotrophin: follow-up study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 14:116–125, 1966.
Lijesen GK and others. The effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 49:237–243, 1995.
Miller R, Schneiderman LJ. A clinical study of the use of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction. Journal of Family Practice 4:445–448, 1977.
Stein MR and others. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976.
Young RL and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study. JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976.
Mirkin G. Getting Thin. Boston: Little Brown & Co., 1983.
In the matter of Simeon Management Corporation et al. Order, opinion etc., in regard to alleged violation of Secs. 5 and 12 of the Federal Trade Commission Act. Docket 8996. Complaint, Oct 15, 1974. Final Order April 29, 1976.
Trudeau K. The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About. Alliance Publishing, 2007.
FTC: Marketer Kevin Trudeau violated prior court order. FTC news release, Sept 14, 2007.
This article was revised on September 18, 2007.

Good Post! I saw that on the internet, the only ones who were saying something positive were the ones making profit. Even the original Dr. Simeon, dismissed it in 1976.:rolleyes: This Kevin Trudeau, to me is a scammer, using Dr. Simeon's name now to make money off people.;)

Its BS. A few women a my job tried it and they actually gained weight and ended up bloated. Lucky they didn't end up pregnant also.

Here is a study that shows it does not improve fat loss. Its actually a Meta-Analysis, which means it is a review of several studies to draw its conclusion and results.

: Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1995 Sep;40(3):237-43.Click here to read Links
The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis.
Lijesen GK, Theeuwen I, Assendelft WJ, Van Der Wal G.

Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

1. A meta-analysis was conducted to assess if there is scientific ground for the use of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. 2. Published papers relating to eight controlled and 16 uncontrolled trials that measured the effect of HCG in the treatment of obesity were traced by computer-aided search and citation tracking. 3. The trials were scored for the quality of the methods (based on four main categories: study population, interventions, measurement of effect, and data presentation and analysis) and the main conclusion of author(s) with regard to weight-loss, fat-redistribution, hunger, and feeling of well-being. 4. Methodological scores ranged from 16 to 73 points (maximum score 100), suggesting that most studies were of poor methodological quality. Of the 12 studies scoring 50 or more points, one reported that HCG was a useful adjunct. The studies scoring 50 or more points were all controlled. 5. We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being.

Last edited:
I really hope we don't get some people saying, "Hey man! This works!"

Just please study hCG in men and women and see what it does. Fortunately, it's relatively harmless in those amounts. Anyone eats 500 calories a day is going to lose weight. That's 1 sandwich. And not even a big sandwich.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear