over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Heading to Egypt in Oct - Suggestions on gyms, hotels, personal experiences

Pheedno

Registered
My wife "lets" me go on a solo trip every year so I tuck cash away for those adventures. 2020 left me with nowhere to go but I still put away for the trip so I have a little more to spend and a little longer than I'd normally go.
Head out early-mid Oct to Dahab for some diving and then to hike up Mt Sinai. Planned a few-four days in Luxor. Don't think I'll head to Aswan, unless I'm compelled in some way.
I wanted to go to Alexandria but will save that for a time when Siwa Oasis is open(I almost aways travel back to those destinations at some point with my wife after I've walked about).
Solo entire time, packing light(40L pack). 13 full days to explore. 4 days in Dahab, 3-4 Luxor, 3-4 in Cairo
1. Can anyone recommend decent gyms in Dahab, Luxor, and Cairo
2. Suggestions on hotels in Cairo and Luxor? I got a place in Dahab to secure my visa
3. Any particular spots/cities that you've enjoyed that I might fit into the travel time I have?
4. Restaurants of note?
5. Any other tidbits, warnings, criticisms, recommendations?

What pack are you using ? I’m an avid explorer and gear junkie.

sounds like an amazing trip. Be safe!

My sister has visited with my mom and aunts, I’ll tell you this which she always reminds me of when I ask of her travels…..Montezumas revenge has nothing on the pharaohs curse.

My sister has visited with my mom and aunts, I’ll tell you this which she always reminds me of when I ask of her travels…..Montezumas revenge has nothing on the pharaohs curse.
I´ve suffered both and would put them at the same level = two weeks of sitting on the throne without having been crowned :) and 3.5kg / 8lbs lost, a peristalsis extravaganza.

I did a four day cruise of the Nile and three days in Cairo, the Pyramids / Sphinx and the Egyptian museum are mandatory in Cairo, I would not miss Luxor, Karnak, the Valley of the Kings, Thebes Necropoli, Hatchepsut Temple, Memnon Colossi, Kom Ombo and the Sobek temple, the Philae Temple and last but not least Abu Simbel, I had the fortune of seing the sun rise there and I´ll never forget it. Yes it was an organized trip but it makes life a lot easier and you get to see a lot more places, make sure the Hotels and cruise are five star but even then Sphinx-ter safety is not guaranteed.

What pack are you using ? I’m an avid explorer and gear junkie.

sounds like an amazing trip. Be safe!
I usually use an Osprey FarPoint 55, which I've had great luck getting it on as just a carry on, even though it's officially oversized. It's an awesome piece.....

I read about another pack on a couple of nomad sites and have decided to give it a shot.....
I like the Farpoint feature of having a smaller, day pack to carry btu I found a 25l portable that fold up into a small pouch that I'll toss in with this one. The organization of this one appealed to me and it's material is more water resistant than the Farpoint. We'll see. It's hard for me to go elsewhere than Osprey. Their products have been absolutely stellar. This one is pretty much a guarantee to not have to be checked, which is big when I travel solo

I´ve suffered both and would put them at the same level = two weeks of sitting on the throne without having been crowned :) and 3.5kg / 8lbs lost, a peristalsis extravaganza.

I did a four day cruise of the Nile and three days in Cairo, the Pyramids / Sphinx and the Egyptian museum are mandatory in Cairo, I would not miss Luxor, Karnak, the Valley of the Kings, Thebes Necropoli, Hatchepsut Temple, Memnon Colossi, Kom Ombo and the Sobek temple, the Philae Temple and last but not least Abu Simbel, I had the fortune of seing the sun rise there and I´ll never forget it. Yes it was an organized trip but it makes life a lot easier and you get to see a lot more places, make sure the Hotels and cruise are five star but even then Sphinx-ter safety is not guaranteed.
Hmm, Abu is down in Aswan. I've been on the fence.
Only because when I went through Cambodia I got "templed out" at Angkor Wat and I was worried about using up an appendage of the trip and that happening, as it would happen right after Luxor and the Valley. Additionally, since the Abu sites have all been broken down and reconstructed on different areas when they built the Nile Dam.

Do you remember any other parts of Aswan attractions that stood out?

Hmm, Abu is down in Aswan. I've been on the fence.
Only because when I went through Cambodia I got "templed out" at Angkor Wat and I was worried about using up an appendage of the trip and that happening, as it would happen right after Luxor and the Valley. Additionally, since the Abu sites have all been broken down and reconstructed on different areas when they built the Nile Dam.

Do you remember any other parts of Aswan attractions that stood out?
Aswan has Abu Simbel, the Philae Temple, Kom Ombo which are all very much worth seing, we also saw the Aga Khan mausoleum from the river on a Felucca (sailing boat) and visited a Nubian village, those last two weren´t particularly memorable, I insist on Abu Simbel and yes I got hyerogliphic / templed out at the end too, but it´s a trip I would recommend to everyone.

Are there a lot of pick pockets there? I was told Italy was bad, but we had no trouble and saw none. I guess that doesnt mean much. I wore one of those pouches that fits down inside your pants and is attached to your belt. No traditional wallet.

I usually use an Osprey FarPoint 55, which I've had great luck getting it on as just a carry on, even though it's officially oversized. It's an awesome piece.....

I read about another pack on a couple of nomad sites and have decided to give it a shot.....
I like the Farpoint feature of having a smaller, day pack to carry btu I found a 25l portable that fold up into a small pouch that I'll toss in with this one. The organization of this one appealed to me and it's material is more water resistant than the Farpoint. We'll see. It's hard for me to go elsewhere than Osprey. Their products have been absolutely stellar. This one is pretty much a guarantee to not have to be checked, which is big when I travel solo
I guess the thing thieves are doing now is carrying a knife and they cut the back pack strap and pull it right off your back. One guy I know uses a pack that has thick leather straps that cant be easily cut.

Are there a lot of pick pockets there? I was told Italy was bad, but we had no trouble and saw none. I guess that doesnt mean much. I wore one of those pouches that fits down inside your pants and is attached to your belt. No traditional wallet.
We weren´t warned against them, there were kids asking for money or candy, I gave one of them one of those marketing / advert wrist watches pharmaceutical companies gave my dad and that I was wearing (he´s a doctor) in exchange for a scarab beetle pendant and you should have seen the look on his face, like he just won the lottery. Regarding safety, in the main attractions I saw the odd armoured vehicle, jeeps with machine guns and guys walking around with semi concealed Heckler & Koch MP5K´s, the Coptic christian neighbourhood in Cairo was also heavily guarded. The only incident we had was when our group stopped at a market (can´t remember where now) and whilst trying out clothes for that night´s "dress like an Egyptian" party on the boat, many of the women were fondled, amongst them one of my sisters: "this dude just touched my tit" I was going to rip his head off, the guy wasn´t expecting it and he had fear in his eyes when he saw me walking towards him, luckily for me and him my dad got in the way and with an energetic "get back to the boat you asshole, you don´t know if he´s got weapons plus there´s plenty of other sellers that might defend him, It´s not worth it" the incident was settled.

From all the travelling I´ve done, Italy and Egypt have been my favourite trips. I´ve lived in Prague and that is also a must visit city and country, beautiful women and the best beer I´ve personally tasted.

We weren´t warned against them, there were kids asking for money or candy, I gave one of them one of those marketing / advert wrist watches pharmaceutical companies gave my dad and that I was wearing (he´s a doctor) in exchange for a scarab beetle pendant and you should have seen the look on his face, like he just won the lottery. Regarding safety, in the main attractions I saw the odd armoured vehicle, jeeps with machine guns and guys walking around with semi concealed Heckler & Koch MP5K´s, the Coptic christian neighbourhood in Cairo was also heavily guarded. The only incident we had was when our group stopped at a market (can´t remember where now) and whilst trying out clothes for that night´s "dress like an Egyptian" party on the boat, many of the women were fondled, amongst them one of my sisters: "this dude just touched my tit" I was going to rip his head off, the guy wasn´t expecting it and he had fear in his eyes when he saw me walking towards him, luckily for me and him my dad got in the way and with an energetic "get back to the boat you asshole, you don´t know if he´s got weapons plus there´s plenty of other sellers that might defend him, It´s not worth it" the incident was settled.

From all the travelling I´ve done, Italy and Egypt have been my favourite trips. I´ve lived in Prague and that is also a must visit city and country, beautiful women and the best beer I´ve personally tasted.
One of the first things I saw when we arrived in Italy was an armored vehicle and soldiers when we came into Venice on a boat. There were so.e in other cities too. Great trip though!

Osprey is hard to beat. I use them for non ultralight expeditions.

I do own a Hyperlight mountain gear pack. For when the base weight needs to be under 10lbs and I’m pushing for 20ish miles of trail per day.

Again, have fun, sounds like a trip of a lifetime

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity