over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Health insurance issues after telling a doctor about gear usage

NoVaDriver

Registered
So I have a doc now who has agreed to keep my gear usage off the books and out of charts. She's a damn good PCP, having graduated and done her residency at UT Health Sciences Center.

Problem is I got diagnosed with bone spurs in my right elbow from when I played tennis competitively in high school 9 years and 100 pounds ago, so I have to get surgery to have that corrected by an orthopedic surgeon. It has gotten almost unbearable as late, making it hard to write, much less bench.

I plan on going to the head doc for the Houston Texans because I want someone who deals with big guys and knows the strain we put on ourselves. The only snafu is that I'd prefer to disclose my gear usage to him, but I haven't locked down a job after I graduate in May from my MBA program. (I'm not going to say which one, but it's one of the best in the country and I'm in Texas... You can figure it out.)

This means I'll probably need to apply for self-coverage in July if I don't get lucky with an employer. Would I screw myself over for disclosing my gear usage? I know generally insurance doesn't cancel for this reason, but they can deny coverage of you don't already have it.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you need to discuss this with the person doing you elbow surgery. If your primary care knows that's enough.

It has always been in the questions that they ask me before surgery. I would assume it's due to steroids increasing the risks for blood clotting, and probably other things.

And OP, I always tell them no. My primary doc is the only one who knows.

Why would you need to discuss this with the person doing you elbow surgery. If your primary care knows that's enough.

I think the less doctors that know the better. If PCP knows already he wouldn't refer you to another doctor for surgery unless he thought it would safe to do so.

As for your insurance question; not sure they could deny you coverage or give you a higher rate because of AAS use. I got screwed hard because of it when it came to life insurance but it's never effected my health insurance. Point being its on my medical record and didnt change my coverage or cost.

come off everything for surgery and they don`t need to know. You wanna be marked a "steroid user" on your medical profile FOREVER? Good luck getting medical insurance, life insurance, getting covered down the road for something medical after taking "recreational drugs" (yes that`s how they are classified).

If he's a dr for an nfl team, he deals with steroid users. If you're a big enough guy, he'll see that and make the necessary adjustments. You can only hurt yourself by going on record stating you use illegal drugs. Health care is getting more and more monitored by the gov these days.

If he's a dr for an nfl team, he deals with steroid users. If you're a big enough guy, he'll see that and make the necessary adjustments. You can only hurt yourself by going on record stating you use illegal drugs. Health care is getting more and more monitored by the gov these days.

Couldn't have said it any better. I play semi-pro football and a few guys on my team have played in the NFL and all of them have use gear and most still do. I can validate one particular friend that needed surgery during a season and the team DR made the necessary adjustments to cover his ass. My Dad has a favorite saying though "Everything comes out in the long run" to a certain level I believe that to be true.

So I have a doc now who has agreed to keep my gear usage off the books and out of charts. She's a damn good PCP, having graduated and done her residency at UT Health Sciences Center.

Problem is I got diagnosed with bone spurs in my right elbow from when I played tennis competitively in high school 9 years and 100 pounds ago, so I have to get surgery to have that corrected by an orthopedic surgeon. It has gotten almost unbearable as late, making it hard to write, much less bench.

I plan on going to the head doc for the Houston Texans because I want someone who deals with big guys and knows the strain we put on ourselves. The only snafu is that I'd prefer to disclose my gear usage to him, but I haven't locked down a job after I graduate in May from my MBA program. (I'm not going to say which one, but it's one of the best in the country and I'm in Texas... You can figure it out.)

This means I'll probably need to apply for self-coverage in July if I don't get lucky with an employer. Would I screw myself over for disclosing my gear usage? I know generally insurance doesn't cancel for this reason, but they can deny coverage of you don't already have it.

Thoughts?

Hey, I've been a health insurance broker for a few years, so maybe I can give some advice:

- Health insurance only covers medical costs that are MEDICALLY NECESSARY

- Does not cover medical expenses for anything that is the result of illegal drugs or activities. For example, if over-dose on cocaine or get shot robbing a bank... your insurnace will not pay your hospital bills

- Under that ACA, you cannot be denied major medical insurance for ANY health reason. If you've got Stage IV cancer, and you're within the enrollment period, you can get on a plan and no carrier can deny you for major medical

**As a broker, I don't give a FUCK about what the insurance company pays out in claims, I only care about making money-- and keeping clients on the books is how I make money, so I always give advice off the record that is gonna benefit my client more than my carrier.

It ALL comes down to what a doctor does or doesn't put on your medical records. I always advise clients that have a good relationship with their doctor to ask them to keep certain things off the record.

So to answer your question, your coverage won't get CANCELLED... but your carrier may not pay out on claims and medical services for a condition if they find out if you were taking "illegal" drugs, i.e. steroids.

Thoughts?

I would keep it on a strictly need to know basis in this
particular situation. Insurance can get messy especially
in todays environment. If they can find ANY reason not to
cover something,,,they will use it.

but what if they want to get the records from the primary care doc? i dont know if they would want to or why, but u never know.

Not going to get into the dozens of reasons that is a terrible idea as im too tired but DO NOT mention it to any doctor. Not even your PMD. You opened a huge can of worms by doing that and now all you can do is hope.

but what if they want to get the records from the primary care doc? i dont know if they would want to or why, but u never know.

He said the primary care doc has agreed to keep this off the record

He said the primary care doc has agreed to keep this off the record

that doesnt matter. If any labs ever come back abnormal their PMD will have to either explain then. ive seen many physicians also claim they will keep something off the record and only go ahead and dictate it in the record later.

All these labs, records etc will all be made available in the future when applying for disability, life insurance etc etc.

I see. Docs do lie then. So many guys on here swear that their doc is cool...and would never do that. I always figured that docs would cover their asses if they have to.

Last edited:
I see. Docs do lie then. So many guys on here swear that their doc is cool...and would never do that. I always figured that docs would cover their asses if they have to.

Quick scenario. Lets say your HDL was 58 in June and then 4 in october after running winny. That is serious!! In a person not using the physician needs to look at an acute underlying problem. Either they work you up for that severe problem OR they attribute it to your gear usage and put that in the chart to cover their ass.

your prolactin comes back high when your running deca. Either they work you up for a pituatary adenoma or they attribute it to your cycle..

hemaglobin comes back at 58 when your on EQ... you get the point..

The physician is not going to screw up their medical license to cover for someone using AAS

I understand completely. I guess this issue really comes up when you have a health issue while on cycle. No idiot would get blood work done (while on cycle) knowing he has an appointment coming up. I always wait a good 6 weeks or so after cycle. Even then, I get my bloods done privately first.
But if you have issues while on cycle, and have to get bloods done...then the problem arises. Thanks.

Why would you feel the need to disclose AAS use for a surgery to remove bone spurs? I don't see where any info related to that can help with your current issue.

I understand completely. I guess this issue really comes up when you have a health issue while on cycle. No idiot would get blood work done (while on cycle) knowing he has an appointment coming up. I always wait a good 6 weeks or so after cycle. Even then, I get my bloods done privately first.
But if you have issues while on cycle, and have to get bloods done...then the problem arises. Thanks.

Unless your running TRT or something really low dose, I would hope that you get blood work done privately while you're on cycle...How else would you ever really know what's going on? Waiting until you have an issue to get blood work while on defeats the purpose of being proactive with blood work!

Unless your running TRT or something really low dose, I would hope that you get blood work done privately while you're on cycle...How else would you ever really know what's going on? Waiting until you have an issue to get blood work while on defeats the purpose of being proactive with blood work!

Exactly...but I can guarantee you that a lot of guys don't. Or don't get bloods often enough.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131