YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Health Insurance Questions (deductible, etc)

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone ever not taken employer coverage and purchased your own>? I assume it is always more expensive? I started a few threads about my recent job change, better $, but kinda pissed when I see the health plan.

PPO
basically 100 every other week with a 2500 deducatable
40 copay

High Deductible plan
65 every other week, with a 3500 deductable
It says copay is $100 percent after deductible is met so I guess I pay for any doctor visit for a whlile.

I am assuming that any private plan I purchase will cost more? I thought about taking a contract position with no health insurance for big bucks, a 1099, but never bought my own insurance before.

It seems like most here make the big bucks, own businesses, and have no issues with health insurance but any advice? Do you guys use the high deductible plan, the standard plan? I thought my last employer it was only a 1k deductible so I guess in what I make in more salary some of that will be going to health care.

Anyone ever take a contract gig and buy private health insurance? Im sure its a ripoff!

Those are pretty standard costs bro… The high deductible plan will work if you RARELY visit the doctor. Generally the HDP is paired with an opening of either HSA or FSA account. These are beneficial come income tax time since the amounts you put into the accounts is all pre-tax. If you have a really good employer they’d contribute $1500-$2000 into your HDP. Mine contributed $2000. And my deductible was $2500. So all I had to contribute was $500 to meet my deductible. Then after that I didn’t pay for anything. It was nice, but only lasted 2 years.

If it were me I’d choose the PPO. It’s better than my current PPO plan! I pay $500/month, $2500 deductible, $40 co-pay. That’s for the family plan.

It’s gonna be expensive shopping around for private insurance and most likely more expensive. The US healthcare system sucks ass plain an simple. Too many big money lobbyists paying big bucks to politicians to keep it this way! It’s a win-win for them!

Cage

Anyone ever not taken employer coverage and purchased your own>? I assume it is always more expensive? I started a few threads about my recent job change, better $, but kinda pissed when I see the health plan.

PPO
basically 100 every other week with a 2500 deducatable
40 copay

High Deductible plan
65 every other week, with a 3500 deductable
It says copay is $100 percent after deductible is met so I guess I pay for any doctor visit for a whlile.

I am assuming that any private plan I purchase will cost more? I thought about taking a contract position with no health insurance for big bucks, a 1099, but never bought my own insurance before.

It seems like most here make the big bucks, own businesses, and have no issues with health insurance but any advice? Do you guys use the high deductible plan, the standard plan? I thought my last employer it was only a 1k deductible so I guess in what I make in more salary some of that will be going to health care.

Anyone ever take a contract gig and buy private health insurance? Im sure its a ripoff!

It varies and it's a hard question to answer because it depends on your needs. If you are single I'd think of it like this...

First pass is you need to make sure you have coverage for a catastrophic illness or injury. If that is all you are worried about a higher deductible plan may not be a bad idea and looking around on your own may work fine you could probably find a cheap plan.

2nd pass or level is how often you use or need routine medical service. If you are a single individual and get a physical once a year it may be worth a high deductible plan with your employer or looking around.

If you are a diabetic with various medical issues and you are at the docs office every 1-3 months and have a variety of medications and medical needs I'd probably opt for a lower deductible plan.

It's really individual.

I never go to the doctor, but I've also torn shit off the bone before randomly and have a few 'scripts, so I usually go the highest option just in case. Doesn't even look like you have a high option.

Thanks for the advice. Keep in mind the monthly costs and deductable are just for me. This is the first time I've had a deductable over 1 k.

When comparing plans also look at what sort of things the plans cover. Dollar amount is only 1 aspect.

All my experience really is with a family plan. Our deductible is $3500 for the family and we pay about $700 a month in premiums I think. Another big thing, look at your out of pocket max. That's the most you can pay in 1 year. I think ours is only $5000. So that big surgery I just had that's probably going to bill over $100,000 will be "free" for us.

Back in 08 my wife lost her job and we had to go on cobra for a month or two. I think it was about $3500 a month. That was 13 years ago. It would be much more now. The cobra plan was basically our old plan but we had to pay 100% of the premium. Your employer is going to pay thousands of dollars for your premium while you pay a few hundred.

Private insurance now has got to be insane. If you're taking the job, you'd be a fool not to take the insurance. If you want better, I think you might be able to buy other insurance to go along with it. Never did that. Folks on Medicare do it all the time.

When comparing plans also look at what sort of things the plans cover. Dollar amount is only 1 aspect.
In network vs out of network. Hospitals in the area in network.

All my experience really is with a family plan. Our deductible is $3500 for the family and we pay about $700 a month in premiums I think. Another big thing, look at your out of pocket max. That's the most you can pay in 1 year. I think ours is only $5000. So that big surgery I just had that's probably going to bill over $100,000 will be "free" for us.

Back in 08 my wife lost her job and we had to go on cobra for a month or two. I think it was about $3500 a month. That was 13 years ago. It would be much more now. The cobra plan was basically our old plan but we had to pay 100% of the premium. Your employer is going to pay thousands of dollars for your premium while you pay a few hundred.

Private insurance now has got to be insane. If you're taking the job, you'd be a fool not to take the insurance. If you want better, I think you might be able to buy other insurance to go along with it. Never did that. Folks on Medicare do it all the time.
This seems like a very logical suggestion, though I have no knowledge on supplemental plans in regards to cost or what they cover. I would think that it would be something to at least look in to. I have always taken employer provided health care, but always took the lowest cost one because I didn't use it that much. I am fortunate to have great insurance now (zero premiums, 1K max per year out of pocket, major insurance group) so supplementing or private insurance isn't necessary. I wish you the best of luck, qbkilla. Hope that you find the answers that you are looking for.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear