over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Healthy Dietary Fats/Oils

Mini Truck

Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Found this interesting.
Hope you find it helpful.

When it comes to choosing the right cooking oil, the variety of products on the market can be confusing. Selecting the right types of fats and oils to cook with can not only change the flavor profile of your meal, but can also make a difference in how healthy it is. It’s also important to not just choose the healthiest oils and fats – but to consider how you will use these products when you cook.

Different oils have different chemical make-ups, which make some of them better suited for higher-heat cooking than others. It’s important to know which oils can tolerate high heat, and which ones can't, because heating oils above their smoke point can produce harmful free radicals that can hurt your health. Here are some healthy oils that can easily be incorporated into any diet.

Grass-Fed Ghee (clarified butter)
Ghee is made by boiling off the water and milk proteins of butter, leaving a rich butterfat, which is free of casein and usually tolerated by people who can’t typically tolerate butter. It is traditionally used in Indian cooking and has wonderful health benefits. Grass-fed ghee is rich in the fat soluble vitamins A, D and K2 as well as CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center may play a role in reducing tumors in certain cancers. Its high smoke point makes it ideal for searing, sautéing and even deep-frying.

Coconut Oil
This versatile oil goes well with both sweet and savory dishes and boasts many health benefits. Made up of medium-chain fatty acids, this oil is good for those trying to lose weight because the body can easily use this healthy fat for energy.

A large portion of the fatty acids found in coconut oil are made of lauric acid, which can serve as an antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial, helping to combat viruses and boost the immune system. Raw, virgin coconut oil can be used in low-temperature cooking or as a substitute for any fat in baking.

While refined coconut oil has less health benefits than raw unrefined, it has a higher smoke point and can be used in higher-temperature cooking, such as frying. Look for coconut oil that is not hydrogenated and has not been treated with hexane.

Sesame Oil
This oil also contains antibacterial properties, which may help protect against abnormal bacteria growth. According to the National Institutes of Health, regular consumption of sesame oil can help lower blood pressure, making it a good choice for those with hypertension.

The fat-soluble lignin, known as sesamin, found in sesame oil has also been found to inhibit the proliferation of a wide range of cancer cells including prostate, breast, colon and lung. Light sesame oil has a high smoke point and can be used for frying while dark sesame oil from roasted sesame seeds has a lower smoking point making it a tasty option for stir frying or making sauces.

Walnut Oil
This healthy little nut produces an oil containing a variety of minerals including selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium, which help stabilize hormones. It also provides cardio-protective benefits thanks to its high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids.

Walnuts are also one of the best sources of antioxidants amongst tree nuts. Antioxidents can help counteract the effects of free radicals which are known to accelerate aging and cause cell damage. Its low smoking point means that walnut oil is best uncooked, and can add a distinctively rich flavor to dressings and sauces.

Different oils can provide different flavor profiles and change the entire taste of a meal. Rotating your oils can also keep your taste buds entertained even when you’re watching what you eat. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind when deciding how to use a new oil is that generally the less refined the oil, the lower its smoke point. In other words, raw, unrefined oils should be kept away from high heat.

-MT

Great post but they left out Macadamia Nut Oil!

Also, though I agree Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be used mostly as a dressing and occasionally on low-medium low heat.....you'll find many different smoke points out there on the net...some which indicate it's perfectly fine to cook in.

I agree Knight.

I like Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
You can buy it 78 fl oz online for just $38.99 with free shipping.

Kerrigold Grass Fed Butter is another one of my favs.
If I remember correctly, you're from FL.
Publix carries it.

-MT

Great post but they left out Macadamia Nut Oil!

Also, though I agree Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be used mostly as a dressing and occasionally on low-medium low heat.....you'll find many different smoke points out there on the net...some which indicate it's perfectly fine to cook in.

I agree Knight.

Publix carries it.

-MT

Yes sir...not from here but I reside here currently in FL. Where are you from in FL? It's also sold in Walmart! However, I did hear on a super human radio podcast several months ago that Kerrygold is going to 90% grassfed instead of 100% which pissed off the people who are anal about that aspect. Thanks for the Nutiva suggestion.

Yes, I heard the same about Kerrigold, but I don't think it's changed yet.

Fort Myers, Bro, since 2001. Love it here.

-MT

Yes sir...not from here but I reside here currently in FL. Where are you from in FL? It's also sold in Walmart! However, I did hear on a super human radio podcast several months ago that Kerrygold is going to 90% grassfed instead of 100% which pissed off the people who are anal about that aspect. Thanks for the Nutiva suggestion.

I agree Knight.

Publix carries it.

-MT

You can get the 78 ouncer from costco for like 24. I would also throw red palm oil in there.

This depends on the time of year. technically, their cows eat grass year round. but in the winter they supplement them with silage(which is a form of dried grass and is not hay) because of the shortage of grass

organic valley pasture butter is delicious too. it is a grass fed cultured butter. it is only produced for like 3 months out of the year. but when it;s available i highly suggest trying to find some

I agree Knight.

Publix carries it.

-MT

Just so you know, Costco( at my place at least) sells that 78fl oz nutiva for $22

Thanks for the lead Gizmo.

I know many of you guys are fans of Trader Joe's.
Personally, I don't shop there. Everything is way overpriced.
You can make all nut butters for so much less money.

I plan on trying some Walnut Oil, which I've yet to use.
Although they're not my favorite tasting nut, I toss some in with some Kale and they have improved my HDL more than any other fat source I've experimented with.

Any specific brand of Walnut Oil anyone recommend?

Thanks,

-MT

Just so you know, Costco( at my place at least) sells that 78fl oz nutiva for $22

Great post. I use all the mentioned oils. I am gonna start using more. Walnut oil is my fav and adds a nice taste to a chocolate protein shake.

I don't mean any of you guys specifically. But it does amuse me when guys are so anal they will flip over the likes of kerrygold going from 100% to 90% grass fed butter. They do that whilst they use 2gs test or so and most likely from Chinese powder. To me the butter makes next to no difference from most butters. But I understand how it is easy to become so anal with these things over time... I used to be that way with my 'health' supplements.

Thanks for the lead Gizmo.

I know many of you guys are fans of Trader Joe's.
Personally, I don't shop there. Everything is way overpriced.
You can make all nut butters for so much less money.

I plan on trying some Walnut Oil, which I've yet to use.
Although they're not my favorite tasting nut, I toss some in with some Kale and they have improved my HDL more than any other fat source I've experimented with.

Any specific brand of Walnut Oil anyone recommend?

Thanks,

-MT

I like spectrum brand walnut oil

Great post. I use all the mentioned oils. I am gonna start using more. Walnut oil is my fav and adds a nice taste to a chocolate protein shake.

I don't mean any of you guys specifically. But it does amuse me when guys are so anal they will flip over the likes of kerrygold going from 100% to 90% grass fed butter. They do that whilst they use 2gs test or so and most likely from Chinese powder. To me the butter makes next to no difference from most butters. But I understand how it is easy to become so anal with these things over time... I used to be that way with my 'health' supplements.

Hey Elvia, I hear what you mean. But for me I guess it's kind of like I know all the gear is bad for me. So when it comes to diet and supplements I try to get it as healthy as possible to mitigate the effects of the gear. Seems a little backwards I know but this is just my thinking

Staff online

• Bio
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar