advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

heartburn meds may increase Heart attack risk?

JustWannaBeHuge

FOUNDING Member / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Has anyone else seen similar reports? I know on my past tren cycles, I would take these daily along with ACV.

Common heartburn drugs including Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid may raise heart attack risk - CBS News

This is a quote from the article:

""If you are taking these medications, I wouldn't panic," Dr. Arun Swaminath of Lenox Hill Hospital told CBS News. "But I would reassess whether you really need to be on it or if you can taper off or have it replace with a different type of drug."

Researchers noted that the study -- which was funded by The National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association, in conjunction with Stanford University -- does not prove that the drugs cause heart attacks. There may be other factors involved in the health conditions of patients that increase their risk.

However, they said the evidence so far is substantial enough to be concerned about the wide use of PPIs and the common practice of continuing prescriptions longer than necessary."

Oh man. Thanks for posting, this is not good. I take heart burn meds daily. Now i use nexium, but i have used all of them at one point or another. Started drinking coffee daily as a kid and messed up my stomach, now im hooked on the shit and cant stop.

When i diet if i take 2 nexium in the morning im good all day. If i eat like shit and eat spicy food ill need 2 zantac 150's in the evening.

I have been switching back and forth between Prevacid and Nexium the past couple years, and when they dont work because i eat shitty i add in Zantac.

Needless to say if this study is true its not good. I also take a lot of NSAID's for my back....

I've been on heart burn meds for 8 years now. My heart is fine. I was on protonix for 2 years, then prevacid and now I'm taking zantac ed. In my case I have to take these meds because my immunos are known to cause wicked acid reflux.

I've been on heart burn meds for 8 years now. My heart is fine. I was on protonix for 2 years, then prevacid and now I'm taking zantac ed. In my case I have to take these meds because my immunos are known to cause wicked acid reflux.

Wicked, now we know where you are from lol

Very interesting study. People should read the article (i.e., what was posted), there is no way to know at this point whether this is causal evidence; however, it doesn't look good.

One thing I thought was interesting is that the author mentioned another reason for this link is that people who take these antacids may already be sick to begin with.

However, they said the evidence so far is substantial enough to be concerned about the wide use of PPIs and the common practice of continuing prescriptions longer than necessary."

I think this is pretty key here. You'd be surprised how many doctors I see in the hospital who liberally place patients on all different kinds of meds. Patient education and prophylactic measures can easily be disregarded and the patient ends up with a long list of meds they may or may not be needed over an extended period of time. I feel the article is more of an awareness issue (question your healthcare provided if you really need to be on a certain med) rather than a cause for concern.

AAS steroids will kill faster than any PPI. :rolleyes:

Until there is more evidence, I don't think there is any need to panic if you are on PPI. PPI not only prevents discomfort, but also lowers risk of throat cancer from GERD and ulcerations of the stomach and duodenum. Got to weigh the good and bad.

I'm taking protonix now, I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been recent articles linking the extended use of PPIs with the occurrence of brain plaque as in Alzheimers Disease. Don't know how strong the evidence is, but I don't think they are saying its causal, at least not yet.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member