over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hearts get younger with intense aerobic exercise, but not weight training

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-get-younger-even-at-middle-age-with-exercise

"Participants were randomly assigned to one of two groups. The first group engaged in a program of nonaerobic exercise — basic yoga, balance training and weight training — three times a week. The other group, which Onsry was in, was assigned a trainer and did moderate- to high-intensity aerobic exercise for four or more days a week.
After two years, the group doing the higher-intensity exercise saw dramatic improvements in heart health.
"We took these 50-year-old hearts and turned the clock back to 30- or 35-year-old hearts," says Levine. Their hearts processed oxygen more efficiently and were notably less stiff.
"And the reason they got so much stronger and fitter," he says, "was because their hearts could now fill a lot better and pump a lot more blood during exercise."
The hearts of those engaged in less intense routines didn't change, he says."

That is just a quote from the whole article, which is worth reading as they went into the type of cardio they did.

NOT:

If I may ask, what size was your root when operated on? Recovery time? Restrictions, blood thinners, etc?

PWood

I don't get what's meant by intense cardio? When I do a big set of squats o, deads or even bent rows my heart rate maxes out. Would this be considered intense cardio?

These studies are stupid and often irrelevant. Youre comparing high intensity cardio to low intensity yoga and weights. Of course the high intensity group fared better....the variables aren't the same. But change it to high intensity weight training and then lets see what happens. People design these studies so that they prove the pre conceived notion they already have

People design these studies so that they prove the pre conceived notion they already have

This!!

It is what is called scientific dishonesty, studies not for make discoveries, but to support their preconceived views.

Even if your getting up to 80% max heart rate on your heavy squats, how long are you under that condition? A minute? I see this study does prove higher intensity exercise, for a good duration, at regular intervals increases stroke volume and cellular respiration efficiency. Which leads to better heart, cardiovascular health. Sorry but pounding out 1 rep max, 5 rep max every work out is not gonna have the same positive effect for your heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT:

If I may ask, what size was your root when operated on? Recovery time? Restrictions, blood thinners, etc?

PWood

I prefer the personal questions to be PM'ed to me, but:

5.2cm, 4-6 weeks I felt normal again but still couldn't really lift my arms up fully. Didn't go back to the weights full throttle for 7 months. No restrictions and no blood thinners.

I don't get what's meant by intense cardio? When I do a big set of squats o, deads or even bent rows my heart rate maxes out. Would this be considered intense cardio?

It says what they did in the article

These studies are stupid and often irrelevant. Youre comparing high intensity cardio to low intensity yoga and weights. Of course the high intensity group fared better....the variables aren't the same. But change it to high intensity weight training and then lets see what happens. People design these studies so that they prove the pre conceived notion they already have

I was also wondering what the results of the heart would be from high intensity weight training, but to say this is a stupid study is an extreme overreaction. Sure, most of us aren't surprised that intense aerobic exercise is good for the heart, but that's not the point. The fact they do something that has shown to reverse heart aging back so much is noteworthy. I also have doubts that high intensity weight training would have the same effect (gut feeling).

Last edited:
I was also wondering what the results of the heart would be from high intensity weight training, but to say this is a stupid study is an extreme overreaction. Sure, most of us aren't surprised that intense aerobic exercise is good for the heart, but that's not the point. The fact they do something that has shown to reverse heart aging back so much is noteworthy. I also have doubts that high intensity weight training would have the same effect (gut feeling).

Well yes I guess I agree with that, it is good from that standpoint. But we already knew that cardio was good for the heart. I just hate when they compare apples to potatoes

I’m before this thread turns into a lazy vs not lazy argument thread....

I found it interesting...

My small bit of input, I’ve also heard many fighters say their main cardio and their stamina in a fight comes from sprints... A lot of them swear by it..

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-get-younger-even-at-middle-age-with-exercise

"Participants were randomly assigned to one of two groups. The first group engaged in a program of nonaerobic exercise — basic yoga, balance training and weight training — three times a week. The other group, which Onsry was in, was assigned a trainer and did moderate- to high-intensity aerobic exercise for four or more days a week.
After two years, the group doing the higher-intensity exercise saw dramatic improvements in heart health.
"We took these 50-year-old hearts and turned the clock back to 30- or 35-year-old hearts," says Levine. Their hearts processed oxygen more efficiently and were notably less stiff.
"And the reason they got so much stronger and fitter," he says, "was because their hearts could now fill a lot better and pump a lot more blood during exercise."
The hearts of those engaged in less intense routines didn't change, he says."

That is just a quote from the whole article, which is worth reading as they went into the type of cardio they did.
What about intense weight training where your heart rate is elevated, little to no breaks, while dripping with sweat?

I mean it has to be all about consistent heart rate elevation in a certain range, right?

What about intense weight training where your heart rate is elevated, little to no breaks, while dripping with sweat?

I mean it has to be all about consistent heart rate elevation in a certain range, right?

I’m no expert but I don’t know man..

I still don’t think it does the same thing. Not to mention I think you can be more consistent doing things like sprints and have less chance of injury (although obviously anything high intensity you’re more prone to injury)..

What you’re describing is basically all out DC Style or John Meadows type balls to the wall in “prep” or “goal” mode training...

Let’s be real here.... How many guys here REALLY train like that??? I’d say majority who think they do really don’t... And if they do, for how long can you keep that up? 6-8 weeks? 12 weeks? 16 weeks? You’d have to keep getting stronger and more intense but you still need a break. So the 2-4-6 week break there’s no cardio? All the high intensity weights did the job to balance time off?

I’d love to see the guys who think their “high intensity” weights beats any kind of high intensity cardio posting video blogs to follow to see and prove how they train and how long they can keep it up for...

But no one will ever do that here...

Still interesting if someone would be willing to do a comparison...

Well yes I guess I agree with that, it is good from that standpoint. But we already knew that cardio was good for the heart. I just hate when they compare apples to potatoes

Of course we knew cardio is good for the heart. The point is how much better intense cardio is for the heart compared to weight training, and how many years it reverses heart aging. It may not be interesting to you or a lot of people, but others might find it useful or interesting in some capacity.

I am currently training like this. One minute rest between sets with some supersets, but I am nowhere close to being as gassed doing this as I am doing HIIT. IMO, it's no comparison.

However if you mean like some super long circuit, then maybe. I guess we don't really know.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131