over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Heavy Bag Training

Johnny Ringo

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
I'm planning on changing my training in 2013 going for the leaner lighter look. I plan on adding heavy bag training into my cardio, Any suggestions on handgear to use. I've used the cloth wraps in the past. Any beginner routine would also be appreciate

Heavybag is one of my favorite cardio tools...

Invest in nice pair of wraps, get tha 180"... I personally like tha Grant brand

Find someone that knows how to really wrap hands to teach you... Miswrapping your hands is pointless and will actually cause problems.. Practice practice

Buy a pair of heavybag specific gloves... There are different gloves for sparring(that are abit softer foam and leather, and theyr are harder padded ones that hold up better for heavybag) again, my fovorites are Grant super bag gloves for heavy bag( hope they still make them lol)... My 2nd choice for a lil tighter budget are ringside's IMFtech bag gloves.... Get 16oz whatever u choose...

Routine? Well do you want to learn to box/standing strike? Or do you just want a cardio routine? If you want to learn to be a decent striker, the tips will 1st start at how to stand in fight stance, move all directions in stance, and where to put hands...

If you want just a little cardio routine, try this to start as no real "technique" is needed- just a cardio hit drill I have a few of my fighters do- square up to tha bag... Ur going to throw straight left rights as FAST as you can hitting tha bag as many times as possible in 15 seconds... Rest 15 seconds... Hit again 15seconds... Rest 15sec... Repeat this 6x if you can, equals one 3min rnd.... As u progress, try to extend tha hit time by 5seconds so 20sec hit,15 rest... Then minus the rest by 5secs so 20hit, 10rest... Then try to repeat it 7x, 8x, however many u can...

Make sure you wrap your wrists also. The heavy bag will destroy them. You will find that your elbows will begin to hurt also. I grew up with a heavy bag in the basement. Ours was I forget what weight.... but super heavy filled with sand and that mother wreaked havok on joints.

Heavybag is one of my favorite cardio tools...

Invest in nice pair of wraps, get tha 180"... I personally like tha Grant brand

Find someone that knows how to really wrap hands to teach you... Miswrapping your hands is pointless and will actually cause problems.. Practice practice

Buy a pair of heavybag specific gloves... There are different gloves for sparring(that are abit softer foam and leather, and theyr are harder padded ones that hold up better for heavybag) again, my fovorites are Grant super bag gloves for heavy bag( hope they still make them lol)... My 2nd choice for a lil tighter budget are ringside's IMFtech bag gloves.... Get 16oz whatever u choose...

Routine? Well do you want to learn to box/standing strike? Or do you just want a cardio routine? If you want to learn to be a decent striker, the tips will 1st start at how to stand in fight stance, move all directions in stance, and where to put hands...

If you want just a little cardio routine, try this to start as no real "technique" is needed- just a cardio hit drill I have a few of my fighters do- square up to tha bag... Ur going to throw straight left rights as FAST as you can hitting tha bag as many times as possible in 15 seconds... Rest 15 seconds... Hit again 15seconds... Rest 15sec... Repeat this 6x if you can, equals one 3min rnd.... As u progress, try to extend tha hit time by 5seconds so 20sec hit,15 rest... Then minus the rest by 5secs so 20hit, 10rest... Then try to repeat it 7x, 8x, however many u can...

:yeahthat: Good info here

I second making sure that your hands are wrapped correctly or everything from your wrists to fingers can get destroyed.

If you're just looking for cardio the simple intermittant workout PB described will be good. I would just stretch out the work periods and don't go into it trying to hit the bag as many times as possible, thats going to gas you out.

You'd really benefit from some striking training (boxing, Muay Thai) prior to using this as a workout. You don't want to be using bad form or you're asking for a tendon/soft tissue injury, especially if you're on any gear. Make sure you're doing it right before you go hard.

...and throw in some kicks and elbows for a good time

Try to save your joints by focusing on speed and technique, not power. Being overzealous early on will only lead to tendonitis in your elbows that will cripple your weighlifting routine.

Besides, there are few things less embarrassing to our type than a completely uncoordinated meathead slugging the bag as hard as he can. Not to say that you are/would be...but just in case.

Shadowboxing is also AWESOME... Just have to do it seriously w intensity.... Bfore you hit tha bag... I'd recommend that you do sum hard shadowboxing first... Try 3 or 4, 2min rounds to start...u should be moving, striking, or defense moves every second of these rnds... Pretend you are fighting sum1 with skills lol....no slack time during tha rnds :)

The first thing I'd work on, is your stance n footwork... For boxing- a simple piece of tape on the floor is all that's really needed... You want to be "heel toe" on tha line... Your front foots toe should be on tha line and your rear heal should be hovered over tha line(in boxing your rear heal doesn't really ever touch down)....feet are at about 45* to line...knees bent... It will feel funny to stand like this, but it is basic boxing stance... Would be a lot easier to put you in stance In person lol...

I would go watch a TON of teddy atlas training vids on youtube... Practice it at home over n over... I was gonna try to explain foot movement in boxing, but its gonna take a whole page lmao

Great info. Very much appreciated Def gonna ease into this and leave my ego at home. I do have a small amount of martial arts training and have used the heavy bad in limited amounts in the past. Never took a focused dedicated approach. My weight training is priority. Just feel this added to other cardio can only help if done properly. I'm 52 years young. 6'2" my goals is a leaner fitter 225 this summer. I've ordered some mid level $80 Title 12oz heavy bag gloves to start off with along w a good jump rope.

New adventures for 2013.

i would advise against a "heavy" bag .. definatly not a low impact form of training get a bag around 35 pounds ..your wrists wll thank you

Double end bag

I use both a heavy bag and a double end bag. I really like the double end bag better for two reasons, (1) It moves and keeps things more interesting, (2) alot easier on my elbows. But they both have pros and cons.

Ur going to throw straight left rights as FAST as you can hitting tha bag as many times as possible in 15 seconds... Rest 15 seconds... Hit again 15seconds... Rest 15sec... Repeat this 6x if you can, equals one 3min rnd.... As u progress, try to extend tha hit time by 5seconds so 20sec hit,15 rest... Then minus the rest by 5secs so 20hit, 10rest... Then try to repeat it 7x, 8x, however many u can...

Good Lord... That would put my old ass in Cardiac Arrest!
good info Bro :headbang:

I like what pitbull said. Shit it's hard to just hold your hands up for 3 minutes. Try it sometime, put your gloves on and get in a stance and hold your hands up for 3 min. lol.

I used to just set a timer for 3 min. and try to hit the bag as much as I could. If I got gassed I would keep my hands up and move around the bag, bob and weave a litte and then start hitting again. I wasn't much of a boxer though, just a puncher who could take one on the chin.

Naaah - get yourself some 16oz gloves, and do three minute rounds no rest....until you fail. It will blow you apart. Better yet, go to a boxing gym and spar with 16oz gloves. The lord will talk to you.

In boxing there is a number system. 1 for jab 2 jab cross 3 jab cross hook 4 jab cross hook cross. To improve my striking I do each number 10 times as many times as it takes to get me really winded. Look up the correct form if u don't know already. Also for some serious cardio I do 30 secs of straight FAST punches. Then 30 secs of pushups or sprawls or burpies and do this for 3 to 5 mins. They make interval timers specifically for such and I would suggest one

Forgot to mention I wear a gas mask while doing this which decreases total bag time to around 20 mins which makes it a lot less damaging to my hands. If you want really good lungs you might wanna invest in one

round 1: jab cross
round 2: jab cross hook
round 3: cross hook cross
round 4: hook cross hook
round 5: jab cross hook cross

when you get your combos down, add in circling the bag after throwing.

Great Variety of info. Much appreciated. I ordered a pair of 12 oz Title mid level heavy bag gloves with Velcro wrist wraps. Along with cloth wraps and nice jump rope. This should get me started. Again Tks for all the Great info.

my FAVORITE form of cardio.

I do it in HIIT Fashion

Right now it is 30 seconds all out followed by 60 seconds walking around, jumping rope.

Make sure you wrap your wrists

I'm planning on changing my training in 2013 going for the leaner lighter look. I plan on adding heavy bag training into my cardio, Any suggestions on handgear to use. I've used the cloth wraps in the past. Any beginner routine would also be appreciate

I am making the same commitment. Tonight I did a set of 40 reps on the squat. It wasn't easy. Eh-hm. Below is a picture of my heavy bag - just a water bladder, very easy on the wrists and hands. I hang it from my back deck. I would get the heaviest gloves you can find. Slow down those hands.

I would also hire a coach for a session or two, or find an experienced friend to teach you how to wrap your hands and punch. YOUTUBE? You can hurt yourself. My best friend is 54 years old and for the past ten years he goes into the Bronx from his fancy suburb and is the only SWB in the gym. He is 6 foot, 195lbs and cut. He takes 175mg of T a week. And he looks great.

I'm doing high rep squats, BP, kettle bells (PHOTO), heavy bag and jump rope. That's it for 2013. And I will remain a very beautiful man. XO JR!

I use an Everlast round timer that are available in most sporting good stores for about $10. They set the round length and the rest periods.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 151
  • photo 4 (2).jpg
    photo 4 (2).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Great Tips Coach.. Can't imagine you any prettier than you already are!:love:

I like the water bladder bang and have used one in the past.. Think that is the route I will take. Looking forward to your progress in 2013 Stay safe Jedi

JR

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting