over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

heavy vs light weight to faliure

fitnessmuscle

Registered
ok guys lets say your lifting 3 sets of 5 reps and you fail at 5 each time ,now lets say you do 3 sets of 15 reps and fail at 15 each time, just using lighter weight with more reps, but always going to faliure, which is gonna produce better results, or will results be the same, thats very confusing to me, will both cause muscle gains at same rate ,explain this to me guys its very confusing, remember each is to physical faliure, i wanna say the heavier weight lower reps, but your still failing at 15 reps instead of just 5, will the body notice any difference, im not talking about just maintaining or cutting, im talking gaining muscle, would it benefit to switch up at times :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Both!
Say your doing chest and back - do heavy bench, superset with bent over rows, then do cable flys with low weight and superset that with low weight pulldowns or seated cable rows.

Then go back to a heavier weight for incline DB press superset with 1arm DB rows.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The key for me is to just constantly shock the Muscle. Whether that is changing lifts, timing, rep ranges, etc. I switch thing up every 4 weeks and usually change Grip or vary stances on the exercises during those 4 weeks.

Do a combo of both, and constantly be changing it up.

In theory, for building muscle size, the higher rep to failure would be more ideal and the lower rep to failure would be better for building strength.

But the stronger you get the heavier weight you can use to go to 15 to failure, so both should be incorporated.

Sets using 30% of 1rm taken to failure elicit just as much of an anabolic response as sets using loads of 70-85%

Key here is failure

ok guys lets say your lifting 3 sets of 5 reps and you fail at 5 each time ,now lets say you do 3 sets of 15 reps and fail at 15 each time, just using lighter weight with more reps, but always going to faliure, which is gonna produce better results, or will results be the same, thats very confusing to me, will both cause muscle gains at same rate ,explain this to me guys its very confusing, remember each is to physical faliure, i wanna say the heavier weight lower reps, but your still failing at 15 reps instead of just 5, will the body notice any difference, im not talking about just maintaining or cutting, im talking gaining muscle, would it benefit to switch up at times :confused::confused:
You always need to switch things up. The key to building muscle is hypertrophy. Sets of 12 to failure will usually produce great hypertrophy

I hate when people say "shock your body" or "shock your muscles".... I mean I get what they are saying, just sounds dumb.... Three things you always have to keep in mind, intensity, Volume and frequency. Keep track of your workouts, take notes so you don't have to guess at what you're doing or what is and isn't working. You'll see a lot of people use "training blocks" or "phases".. simply put they are talking about specified areas that are adjusted toward certain goals.... So for example if you always did 3 sets of 5 on bench press every week for 3 years straight, you'd make gains of course but at one point you somewhat "stall" or "plateau". Well in that instance maybe we'd lower the weight and increase the volume, or we would do our full 3 sets and add in one more fourth set and go to failure then have a training partner strip your weights off the side and do dropsets until you can barely move the bar.... The fun thing about working out is there are so many different ways to torture yourself and push your progress.... Some that are genetically gifted can just do the same thing for 15 years straight and get better and better..... I don't think saying this set reps will produce hypertrophy, or this amount of rreps for this many sets will work.... Kinda bullshit and have to adjust and see how you respond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Professional Muscle mobile app

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner