over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help designing a routine

SlickNYC

Registered
Looking for some help designing a routine for a client of mine. Yeah I can do it on my own but there are a lot of guys who are very knowledgable on this board and Id love some input. the guy is in his early 30s and approx. 6ft2 and 175lbs- very lanky and looking to just add some quality muscle. Nothing drastic. Even if he gains about 10lbs and gets some tone by next year he will be very happy. He has a gym in his building which is decent but limited. The leg press blows and there is no squat rack only a smith machine- so legs is a challenge. Im very apprehensive about having him use the smith for squats since he injured his back pretty badly a few years back. He's looking to train 3 days/ week for about 90 minutes each session. I was thinking something like

chest/bis/tris day 1

legs- day 2

shoulders/back day 3

Was considering just basic shit like day 1

incline press on smith- 3 sets x 8 reps
flat bench dumbbells- 3 sets x 8
flat flys- 4 sets 8

lying tri extension with ez curl- 3 sets
seated dips- 3 sets

standing dumbbell curls- 3 sets
incline curls 3 sets

light ab work

My main concern is the legs. I want to be very careful with him and he is also terrified of squats. If he had any barbell at all Id have him just try really light squats but I don't like the way the smith doesn't give you a natural feel on the squat. was thinking light dumbbell squats, lunges, extensions or even goblet squats with dumbells

You guys get the idea..any thoughts comments suggestions?? Ive been training myself for 25 years and sometimes you get stuck in your ways which is why Im just looking for input. Remember the goal- this guy doesn't want to get huge but right now is very skinny and lanky and just wants a nice shape and some tone so that he's not ashamed to walk shirtless at a pool or beach.

a few other splits Im also considering

day 1 chest/back

day 2 legs

day 3 shoulders/tris/bis

or I do kinda like the above and below but hate having just 1 day with arms. especially with a beginner just psychological

chest/shoulders

back/hamstrings

quads/bis/tris

or

chest/shoulders/tris

back/hams

quads/biceps

Put him on a simple ABA...something like Dorian Yates beginner routine IMO.
If he's scared of squats, have him do smith or hack squats?

DAY 1: Chest/Back/Delts
Flat Bench 2x8
Incline Bench 2x10
Incline Flye 2x12
Lat Pulldown 2x12
Barbell Row 2x8
Cable Row 2x10
Shoulder Press 2x8
Side Lateral 2x10
Rear Lateral 2x12

DAY 2: Arms/Legs
Dumbbell Curl 2x10
Preacher Curl 2x12
Lying Extension 2x10
Tricep Pushdown 2x15
Leg Extension 2x15
Leg Press 2x12
Back Squat 2x10
Lying Curl 2x12
Standing Calf 2x12
Seated Calf 2x15

Something like that....

Do a few sets of abs on either day...

MON/WED/FRI alternating workouts

Last edited:
I actually like that...

I like that routine but Im looking for a 3 day split as he wants to train 3x per week..but something like that is cool..and the smith machine is the WORST for squats IMHO it just locks you into a motion that is not natural and just feels wrong. Maybe its just me but I don't wanna rush it Id rather do step ups with dumbbells or lunges than risk injury. Hacks on machine would be PERFECT but its not an option no machine. thanks trinity

I like that routine but Im looking for a 3 day split as he wants to train 3x per week..but something like that is cool.and the smith machine is the WORST for squats IMHO it just locks you into a motion that is not natural and just feels wrong. Maybe its just me but I don't wanna rush it Id rather do step ups with dumbbells or lunges than risk injury. Hacks on machine would be PERFECT but its not an option no machine. thanks trinity

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/1158-growth-principles-beginners.html

Saw that..

I was checking that out before I posted this thread and I like the split and excecises but am not a fan of low volume- especially for beginners. Ive never been a fan of low volume period but I can see how it can be effective when using HIT. someone who is fairly new at weight training would be using such intensity.. Just my opinion. Was thinking of using something very similar though and just adding volume.

Dude, the routine I posted is 3 days a week.

I told you it's Monday , Wednesday , Friday.

You alternate the 2 workouts .

=o

Put him on a simple ABA...something like Dorian Yates beginner routine IMO.
If he's scared of squats, have him do smith or hack squats?

DAY 1: Chest/Back/Delts
Flat Bench 2x8
Incline Bench 2x10
Incline Flye 2x12
Lat Pulldown 2x12
Barbell Row 2x8
Cable Row 2x10
Shoulder Press 2x8
Side Lateral 2x10
Rear Lateral 2x12

DAY 2: Arms/Legs
Dumbbell Curl 2x10
Preacher Curl 2x12
Lying Extension 2x10
Tricep Pushdown 2x15
Leg Extension 2x15
Leg Press 2x12
Back Squat 2x10
Lying Curl 2x12
Standing Calf 2x12
Seated Calf 2x15

Something like that....

Do a few sets of abs on either day...

MON/WED/FRI alternating workouts

X2 for this routine. You could also have him do Romanian split squats with dumbbells if he can't squat. John Meadows posted a video on here a little while ago where he was doing drop sets on this exercise, looked like pure punishment.

NYC whoop whoop
I personally would stick to compound major movements at first since he is so lanky and could benefit from the systemic affect.
Low bar squats, front squats over head press, weighted dips/ bench, Deads and pull ups.

I like that routine but Im looking for a 3 day split as he wants to train 3x per week..but something like that is cool..and the smith machine is the WORST for squats IMHO it just locks you into a motion that is not natural and just feels wrong. Maybe its just me but I don't wanna rush it Id rather do step ups with dumbbells or lunges than risk injury. Hacks on machine would be PERFECT but its not an option no machine. thanks trinity

Dude, the routine I posted is 3 days a week.

I told you it's Monday , Wednesday , Friday.

You alternate the 2 workouts .

=o

I would suggest something like trinity posted, however, instead of alternating workouts, use the same bodyparts/order but different exercises the second time you hit the same bodyparts.

For example, instead of flat BB bench, do Db bench... instead of BB rows, DB rows.

I would also toss in some machine work if machines are of decent quality...

maybe im stuck in the dark ages, but im not a fan of working your chest and back on the same day, then dedicating another day to working those smaller group of arm muscles... biceps and triceps.
back and bi work together, work them out together. on their own day
chest and tri work together, work them out together. on their own day
have a leg day just for legs. perhaps you would work in shoulders on leg day if time or days are limited.
when I do 3 a week workouts, which isnt often, I add shoulders into my leg day.
i like shoulders to have their own day so that gives me a reason to get to the gym an additional day.
abs get a daily workout.

maybe im stuck in the dark ages, but im not a fan of working your chest and back on the same day, then dedicating another day to working those smaller group of arm muscles... biceps and triceps.
have a leg day just for legs. perhaps you would work in shoulders on leg day if time or days are limited.
i like shoulders to have their own day so that gives me a reason to get to the gym an additional day.
abs get a daily workout.

The thing I've seen in folks new to training is that training a muscle 2 times a week seems to benefit them more... they are able to develop neurological efficiencies as their body gets used to the movements and contracting the muscle.

Including a blend of DB, Bb and machine work fits well, for example, one day use primarily free weight movements and the next time you hit those bodyparts use machines and cables. This allows for not too much joint stress right of the bat and being they are new to lifting, including a day with just machines allows them to focus solely on feeling the contraction without worrying about stabilizing the weight.

That is just one of many options....

abs get a daily workout.

What are you talking about?

The second day is training your entire lower body which is incredibly taxing. It is very feasible and makes sense to only add something non-taxing like arms

Advise your friend to seek a sports rehab Orthopeadic to rehab his back. I say that specifically because I had undergone major spine surgery in 1995. It took 6 places before finding one that was able to create a routine for us bodybuilder types as we require a very unique form. Most PT geared to average person . No 2lb dumbells for us. I shattered my spine , had surgery . Intensive rehab utilizing weights emphasizing my erectors not at all like most . The experience is what made me go get my masters degree and include my CsCs cert and PT rehab assistant cert. Although my major was Social work - I train with no belt , no limits at 50 train heavy deads ,squats etc and those who know me past 20 years daily bujutsu training where being violently thrown on my back is part of dAily practice . Depending on issue with spine most can be corrected by exercise . I still incorporate my 1995 rehab in my workout example 3 sets weighted 90 degree hypers hold contraction 3 secs, 3 sets stiff deads 25 Reps, 3 sets nautilus lower back or reverse hyper machine 200 pounds 25 reps. Core of my routine

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

What kind of back injury was it? What is the strength base now? Ie can client actually DO pushups, situps, at least do a static hold if not pullups? Also if the clent is terrified of squats, what is their rom now? Like several have said, db work, split squats, goblet squats are awesome....little extra equipment like kettlebells help alot specifically with back rehab/posterior chain strength building. The client is lanky and tall and would like the most workout for 3 days out of the week so focusing on tempo, increased time under tension sounds like it would help them reach their goals

Thanks guys.

His back isn't that bad and his range of motion is fine. I think its more fear than anything. He doesn't want to be a bodybuilder type and just wants to tone up so Im the type who tries to focus more on what the client enjoys than shoving a routine down his throat. I did legs with him the other day and we went pretty light going with goblet squats, step ups on to a step lower than a bench, leg presses, leg extension, stiff leg reads with dumbbells (light) and leg curls. He actually enjoyed it. I really wish they had a hack squat machine in the gym. I just think we need to get some core work inane at the same time make it enjoyable for him and minimize risk for injury.

What are you talking about?

The second day is training your entire lower body which is incredibly taxing. It is very feasible and makes sense to only add something non-taxing like arms

hush stick leg boy

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner