advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help! Hematocrit keeps increasing and I'm only on TRT!

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have used multiple AAS, including tren, and hgh for long periods of time. I've been on nothing but doctor prescribed test cyp for exactly 3 months, yet my hematocrit has never been this high in my life. It just keeps increasing. I went to donate blood for the third time today (since I came off everything) and they told me my hematocrit is 59 before I gave blood!

I should mention these physicians were clueless. One guy said "you're totally fine brotha, it just can't be over 60 to donate", which the woman taking my blood kept saying "it's probably all those protein shakes." Irrelevant, but it's crazy how they can go around saying things they are clueless about.

Anyways, I'm about to schedule an appt with a hematologist.

Can anyone pinpoint why my hematocrit is constantly elevating, despite blood donations? I just take TRT and I started taking caffeine supplements again about a month ago or so. Could it be all the vitamins I take?? (curcumin, ubiquinol, fish oil, multi, nac, vitamin c, vitamin d, probiotic)

im kind of in same boat.. I went to donate yesterday, and my hemoglobin was 20.5.. so they took blood, but had to destroy it instead of donating.. until I go to the doc and get labs done anyways..

Stewie who is extremely knowledgeable has always stated this could be due to sleep apnea and to have a study done. It might be worth a shot.

Also, Emeric is huge on administering TRT doses subcutaneously at 20mg ed or eod. One thing he mentioned is that this helps with hematocrit not going as high.

Hope this helps.

Stewie who is extremely knowledgeable has always stated this could be due to sleep apnea and to have a study done. It might be worth a shot.

Also, Emeric is huge on administering TRT doses subcutaneously at 20mg ed or eod. One thing he mentioned is that this helps with hematocrit not going as high.

Hope this helps.

I don't think I have sleep apnea. Although sometimes it's hard to sleep, I still usually get 8 hours.

Emeric's idea might be worth it for me to consider.

I also have alcohol a few nights a week. It's hard to find information on how much this would raise hematocrit and hemoglobin.

Are you taking an iron supplement? Blood work gonna be the only way to really know brotha. I know you've heard it before but still it's the truth

I also have alcohol a few nights a week. It's hard to find information on how much this would raise hematocrit and hemoglobin.

Taking any Stimulants? Ephedrine raises it and dehydration.

I've seen Naringin (half a grapefruit daily), hydration and cardio suggested to lower it.

Cardio and Naringin seems to work for me.

Are you taking an iron supplement? Blood work gonna be the only way to really know brotha. I know you've heard it before but still it's the truth

I've had plenty of bloodwork lately. Nothing is out of the normal range other than hematocrit and hemoglobin. And no, I do not take an iron supplement. Blood pressure was 122/78 today, so that part is good.

Taking any Stimulants? Ephedrine raises it and dehydration.

I've seen Naringin (half a grapefruit daily), hydration and cardio suggested to lower it.

Cardio and Naringin seems to work for me.

I am aware of the use of ephedrine's boost on hematocrit levels so I don't take it.

I did, however, start taking a fat burning stimulant called Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix about a week ago. If something in that is causing this increase, I'd like to know what ingredient it is.

Cardio I do tons of right now. 4-5 days a week pretty intense too.

Never heard of Naringin. Does this really help? It looks dirt cheap online so I guess I have nothing to lose by taking it.

Last edited:
Why was this moved to the beginners section? This is very much an advanced thread.

Your hematocrit shouldn't be getting that high, 55 maybe, not definitely not where near 60, that is my opinion. Do you make SURE you always drink enough water? That is no small task, and makes a huge difference. The more protein you eat, the more water you should drink.

The Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix probably contains herbal diuretics and would definitely increase hematocrit. Any diuretic, included a component of many high blood pressure medications, could increase hematocrit.

Donating blood may cause a "rebound" that increases hematocrit in some people. I seemed to notice that with me. I tried so hard to get my hematocrit to 50 and it just kept going up, but if I don't donate, I am stable at 53-55.

SOME people are known to have increasing hematocrit that doesn't seem to stabilize and keeps increasing, I have talked to doctors that feel that only choice is discontinue TRT for some people (no idea how common it is, sounds rare).

DO CARDIO! Cardio increases blood VOLUME and thus decreases hematocrit. But doesn't cardio increase hematocrit also? Yes, but only if your hematocrit isn't already maxed out from VO2max training (aka weightlifting), which does NOT also increase blood volume like extended cardio does.

The increase in blood volume from cardio is so dramatic, that there is even a condition called exercise induced anemia that can be caused from the increase in blood volume.

FINALLY, and this one got me, are you taking your Vitamin C with meals high in iron rich foods? This will greatly increase iron absorption. The fact that you have normal iron plasma levels is moot.

Your hematocrit shouldn't be getting that high, 55 maybe, not definitely not where near 60, that is my opinion. Do you make SURE you always drink enough water? That is no small task, and makes a huge difference. The more protein you eat, the more water you should drink.

The Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix probably contains herbal diuretics and would definitely increase hematocrit. Any diuretic, included a component of many high blood pressure medications, could increase hematocrit.

Donating blood may cause a "rebound" that increases hematocrit in some people. I seemed to notice that with me. I tried so hard to get my hematocrit to 50 and it just kept going up, but if I don't donate, I am stable at 53-55.

SOME people are known to have increasing hematocrit that doesn't seem to stabilize and keeps increasing, I have talked to doctors that feel that only choice is discontinue TRT for some people (no idea how common it is, sounds rare).

DO CARDIO! Cardio increases blood VOLUME and thus decreases hematocrit. But doesn't cardio increase hematocrit also? Yes, but only if your hematocrit isn't already maxed out from VO2max training (aka weightlifting), which does NOT also increase blood volume like extended cardio does.

The increase in blood volume from cardio is so dramatic, that there is even a condition called exercise induced anemia that can be caused from the increase in blood volume.

FINALLY, and this one got me, are you taking your Vitamin C with meals high in iron rich foods? This will greatly increase iron absorption. The fact that you have normal iron plasma levels is moot.
what is your testosterone dose? TRT means a whole range of things on the boards these days.

Based on everything you said, the only thing I can really pinpoint is the Shred Matrix fat burner I've been taking for a week. That, and the fact I've been drinking alcohol 4-5x per week the past 3 weeks (which I found can increase hematocrit).

I drink about 3 gallons water a day, do cardio 4-5 days a week, and don't eat iron rich foods alongside vitamin C. Well, my diet did slip up a bit until the past week so I don't even know what foods contain iron in them to be totally honest.

As for the guy who asked about TRT, my prescription is for 150mg per week, but I take 165mg.

Oh wow, I failed to mention I started eating lots of veggies over the last month and a half for the first time. I didn't use to. Saw this online

"The following foods are relatively high in iron: red meat, chicken, pork, fortified breakfast cereal, bran, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molasses, soybean nuts, spinach, red kidney beans, lima beans, prune juice, pretzels, rice, raisins, and prunes. Green leafy vegetables (brussel sprouts, broccoli) will help the body absorb iron."

Is it possible that vegetables like broccoli and spinach are killing me?!

Oh wow, I failed to mention I started eating lots of veggies over the last month and a half for the first time. I didn't use to. Saw this online

"The following foods are relatively high in iron: red meat, chicken, pork, fortified breakfast cereal, bran, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molasses, soybean nuts, spinach, red kidney beans, lima beans, prune juice, pretzels, rice, raisins, and prunes. Green leafy vegetables (brussel sprouts, broccoli) will help the body absorb iron."

Is it possible that vegetables like broccoli and spinach are killing me?!

Unlikely unless you are eating a lot of them. 3 gallons of water per day is an insane amount, an unhealthy amount in most cases imo. You must either sweat all day or pee all day.

If you are drinking that frequently, and it's 2-3+ drinks, I'd say that could easily throw anything off. Your liver won't last long under those conditions, especially with added stress from other sources.

Have a sleep study done. Regardless if you don't think you have sleep apnea, you'd be surprised how many people that don't think they have OSA, have moderate to severe OSA. AAS exacerbates mild OSA→mod/severe. As well can induce OSA.

Refer to the member here thebigone. He flat denounced the notion he had OSA, until he finally wisened up and found out he had severe OSA. This is one, there's many more.

I had my follow-up on my lab's yesterday. After speaking with my physician, he stated this month alone, six patients were diagnosed with OSA. All six were coming in monthly for therapeutic phelbotomies. All middle-aged non-obese men, otherwise in good health. He's implemented a new policy: if any patient has a continuous elevated HH on a therapeutic dose of TRT. They are now referred to a pulmonolgist for a sleep study.

Non-heme iron from the foods you listed are not going to raise your HH off the charts. FYI: some of those listed actually inhibit iron absorption.

Last edited:
^^^^ bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bout forgot that you had the same issue. Although, you went under the knife too address your OSA. That's something most people wouldn't do. Including me! Ouch!

I remember seeing your pictures after your surgery :(

^^^^ bingo!

It's pretty amazing the physicians that don't link this to OSA. Sometimes you can get some good guidance from members of this board and get yourself the proper treatment.

You have to weed through the morons but there are some top notch members who have been there and done that.

Get in. Look for the obvious. Get out. Testosterone being the obvious (not necessarily) will primarily be the focus by a majority of physician's.

Sad :(

It's pretty amazing the physicians that don't link this to OSA. Sometimes you can get some good guidance from members of this board and get yourself the proper treatment.

You have to weed through the morons but there are some top notch members who have been there and done that.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I went to the hematologist three days after donating blood and my hematocrit came back at 54. Not good, but much better than 59. She wants me to stop taking the thermogenic fat burner (Shred Matrix from Muscle Pharm), but I haven't yet. It's just suppressing my appetite so effectively and enabling me to eat clean. She didn't prescribe me a phlebotomy because it wasn't above 55. I wish she did though so I could get it down to 45 and stop worrying about it. She was a good doctor, I was honest about everything.

Unlikely unless you are eating a lot of them. 3 gallons of water per day is an insane amount, an unhealthy amount in most cases imo. You must either sweat all day or pee all day.

If you are drinking that frequently, and it's 2-3+ drinks, I'd say that could easily throw anything off. Your liver won't last long under those conditions, especially with added stress from other sources.

You mention sweating...I have been profusely sweating like crazy for a long time. I thought drinking water helped with the sweating? And yes, I do drink that much water usually. Maybe a little less.

Have a sleep study done. Regardless if you don't think you have sleep apnea, you'd be surprised how many people that don't think they have OSA, have moderate to severe OSA. AAS exacerbates mild OSA→mod/severe. As well can induce OSA.

Refer to the member here thebigone. He flat denounced the notion he had OSA, until he finally wisened up and found out he had severe OSA. This is one, there's many more.

I had my follow-up on my lab's yesterday. After speaking with my physician, he stated this month alone, six patients were diagnosed with OSA. All six were coming in monthly for therapeutic phelbotomies. All middle-aged non-obese men, otherwise in good health. He's implemented a new policy: if any patient has a continuous elevated HH on a therapeutic dose of TRT. They are now referred to a pulmonolgist for a sleep study.

Non-heme iron from the foods you listed are not going to raise your HH off the charts. FYI: some of those listed actually inhibit iron absorption.

That's quite interesting. You make a great case. I think I'll go have that study done. I'm on a much better insurance plan this year than usual so I'm not reluctant to visit doctor's offices anymore. If I am diagnosed with it, do they give me a prescription for something like xanax?

Get in. Look for the obvious. Get out. Testosterone being the obvious (not necessarily) will primarily be the focus by a majority of physician's.

Sad :(

Luckily, my hematologist didn't try to pinpoint that as the only thing. I explained my past use and mentioned it should have been higher before, but wasn't. She listed a myriad of things it could be.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear