over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HELP!!!! I'M A SWEETAHOLIC!!!

tricepfreak

Newbies
I hope you guys can help.

As a recovering alcoholic (over 6 years), I seem to be experiencing one of the "side effects" of alcohol abstinence - which is an incredible craving for sweets...candy, eclairs, and cheesecake are attacking me in the store, and in too many instances, somehow end up in my kitchen...

Understanding that diet is essential to progress in the gym, I have decided to turn myself in to you guys, and admit my guilt - which is no easy task.

When you kind members have a "cheat day" with taboo foods, to what extent do you cheat?

Did your Mother ever catch you with your hands in the cookie jar 30 minutes before supper? This is my similar plight.

Please help me with healthy, low calorie alternatives....point me in the direction of substitutes (maybe recipes) for my sugary addiction.

Thanks much....hey, gotta go - there's a cannoli knocking on my back door.

HELP!!!

...lift heavy...JB:eek:

Sweet addiction

Sugar cravings are not uncommon for people that have had substance abuse problems. Some theories even say that the relationship begins prior to the drug/alcohol problem and that drug/alcohol abuse is partly driven by sugar cravings.

I used to be a guy who would put a whole Plenty Pack of Big Red in my mouth at a time, eat 20-40 popsicles a night - etc. Pretty sick. The new neighbor up the street saw me eating popsicles so often he asked for a bag of weed. I don't have that problem at all anymore. I hardly even want cookies and cakes.

In terms of other recipes - I don't have any. But, 3 days without can break the sugar craving cycle. Also, if you want a supplement, try 5-HTP. Its a serotonin precursor. A whole lot of people have the cravings from chem imbalance. Lotta times 5-HTP will put an end to it.

I tried 5-HTP and it worked great. I don't even take it now, and I still don't want sugar.

Plus, when you get off that shit (sugar) you'll find that after a few
days you feel a lot better. Instead of energy ups and downs that sugar gives, go for the slower energy release of fat and protein.

Good luck bro - CH

Thanks for the reply, and the suggestions...

5-HTP...

I will have to check it all out.

I think the sugar problem is actually an addiction, all kidding aside.

I know others in recovery who could take it or leave it as far as sugar goes, and then when they got sober they could eat an entire pie one sitting.

Thanks again!!!:p

JB:eek:

Hmm

Try to find healthy alternatives to the bad foods you enjoy.

SUgar free jello with sugar free whipped creaM.
low carb protein bars
Fat free pudding,

Just get creative.

What kind of diet do you run, that might help us decide some ok cheats for you.

Dare I say it, get some will power I know you were once addicted but try to cheat once a day. I think one huge cheat meal with a desert will be ok.

WHen you start to get really cut one cheat meal can set you back a bit

Try looking for recipes that use spenda. I had some diet V8 splash that tasted better than any diet drink and it had splenda as the sweetener. Very good stuff. I'd bet that they have a website with some low/fat and low sugar recipes.

Thanks for the great ideas...

I have seen Spleda in the store in the sugar substitute section...I think I will try it.

I am so glad I found this forum...informative, honest - and with some great members.

Thanks again...JB

I have the same problem and ALWAYS had it. I could eat a pie, 1/2 a cake, 1/2 a pan of brownies, package of cookies at ANY given time.

I'm constantly "tell myself" that I want look better rather than eat sweets. It takes sheer guts and determination!

I just walked by a table at work where someone laid out a BUNCH of Girl Scouts cookies - and I just walked away!!

xcel

Use sweetner substitutes that have no carb/simple sugar contents. Splenda is excellent. Protein powders flavored with that (or sweetner substitute of your choice) and tropical orange are made to order by Protein Factory.

This 'addiction' mentality taught by AA is great if you about to die from your addiction. But this is a BB board, we are here strong minded and willing to do what it takes for the most part. AA teaches weakness and constant labeling of yourself as hopelessly weak and powerless. That doesnt apply here. Drop that additute here. Be more positive-people do have the power to make choices and stick with them. Weve all had our problems-I was a drug addict for 8-9 years but all my life situations are no longer dictatated by it, and I dont bring it up anymore unless its absolutely relevant. Allow yourself some credit to make your own decisions with strength-get over the Im so pathetic weak and powerless mystique. Drop all those negative labels too. They suck for building confidence and positive reinforcement.

MikeS said:
Allow yourself some credit to make your own decisions with strength-get over the Im so pathetic weak and powerless mystique. Drop all those negative labels too. They suck for building confidence and positive reinforcement.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! :D

xcel

Thanks Xcel-I was hoping not to come across to harsh. But Im getting the feeling that the bro thinks this is a 12step program-Im new-help me-Im an addict! Here you pay your dues to yourself and others by getting involved, that in turn will help you. The tools are here to learn, use them and help yourself! Not that we wont help with some advice of course. :D

One other thing to add. I've Tony Robbins say it, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" I've been listening to his CD's again lateley so its fresh in the mind. Also consider that eating the sweets might change the way you feel that instant, but it's much more painful to look into the mirror and see that you are not making progrees. So associate more pain having too much bodyfat than to the tempory feeling you get from the sweets.

i can honestly say it gets better with time imo diet drinks help but sooner or later u kinda get over it I know i did

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear