YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help me settle this...working abs makes stomach bigger?

FrancisK

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Alright me and a friend had an discussion today, one of us said they won't do abs/obliques until they are lean because it's just making them looking fatter. The muscles get bigger just pushing the fat out on the stomach and sides.

The other said that doesn't make sense because more muscle is more fat burning, even if it's not localized. You don't stop doing deadlifts because you have lower back fat for example.

What do you guys think from your expierence? Does working abs when you're not lean yet just make your stomach look bigger and worse?

and here I was thinking that I had some stupid conversations :rolleyes:

Alright me and a friend had an discussion today, one of us said they won't do abs/obliques until they are lean because it's just making them looking fatter. The muscles get bigger just pushing the fat out on the stomach and sides.

The other said that doesn't make sense because more muscle is more fat burning, even if it's not localized. You don't stop doing deadlifts because you have lower back fat for example.

What do you guys think from your experience? Does working abs when you're not lean yet just make your stomach look bigger and worse?

Some people have great abs and some don't. I know guys that don't really train them much directly and they still look great when lean. I feel like training abs is necesary though for most to help get them to pop. I generally don't do weighted ab exercises though just body weight stuff or real light weights on machines.

I think the only way working out abs is gonna make your waist bigger is if you really trained them with heavy weight for a long time. I know for me, training them always makes my waist smaller just from getting and keeping the muscles tighter.

What do you guys think from your expierence? Does working abs when you're not lean yet just make your stomach look bigger and worse?
In my experience the bigger they are the easier you see them at a higher bf lot of strong men out there pushing 15-20% bf and there abs are visible

Sent from my SM-G920T using Professional Muscle mobile app

and here I was thinking that I had some stupid conversations :rolleyes:

Still would like your take on it, as much as you're an attention whore cockslut who doesn't change his undies you do have a lot of expierence dropping fat....

Still would like your take on it, as much as you're an attention whore cockslut who doesn't change his undies you do have a lot of expierence dropping fat....

lmao don't hurt him francis he's delicate:cool:

Hmm, little sluts still hormonal even after the dnp abortion?

:action-:m

obvi

but to answer your question.

yes, having bigger ab muscles will make your abdomen larger.

I train my abs really hard, with weights, a few times a week, even though im bulking.

why? because im in a caloric surplus, with all the other factors I need for growth present as well.

my stomach looks big as hell... but that's the price to pay. im not trying to look good at the moment.

trying to build muscle while dieting, or while staying beach-ready... it's just not practical IMO.

lmao don't hurt him francis he's delicate:cool:

Like a hookers ego...

Makes sense thanks lil slut

Me and two of the guys who work for me are all heavy lifters but each of us has a completely different body type so we clash on things related to working out. That and we spend hours a day with each other with nothing to do but banter while we work.

Last edited:
Worked my abs like crazy when I was in middle school/high school. Was one of those kids who would religiously would do sit ups for a half hour every night before bed. Overkill but it made my abs really etched and my waist only got tighter.

Don't do anything like that now but do heavy/low rep cable rope crunches/leg raises/etc and my waist is still one of the better aspects of my physique.

My abs only feel like the sit tighter against my body than anything. Eating large amounts of food and being bloated from too high of cals are what seems to "blow out" my waist.

depends how you "work" them...

:cool:

Some people have great abs and some don't. I know guys that don't really train them much directly and they still look great when lean. I feel like training abs is necesary though for most to help get them to pop. I generally don't do weighted ab exercises though just body weight stuff or real light weights on machines.

I think the only way working out abs is gonna make your waist bigger is if you really trained them with heavy weight for a long time. I know for me, training them always makes my waist smaller just from getting and keeping the muscles tighter.

Exactly.

I believe in a variety of training methods to help them "pop" to begin with. But after that pretty much all bodyweight movements or minimal weight used. Many don't train abs at all (and they look great) but effective training can definitely help tighten your waist.

they should get plenty of work indirectly....BUT....

if you must work them....NO WEIGHT....
twists...static holds (6in leg raises from the floor)...
4 sets of 30sec holds...

I would only do this precontest....

weighted mid-section training.....just like anything else, will
result in growth....

if mid-section growth isn't an issue to you....or you have an unusually
smaller waist and mid-section.....then do it up...probably wont effect you.

now....it will be noticeable enough that you can somewhat CONTROL
this growth.....after you've achieved the musculature you desire in that
area.....back the fuck off....

Personally, I train the same way year round... sets, reps, weights, everything as intense as possible, always... only thing that changes is diet. :)

Which means I'll of course work abs. Training them frequently while trying to "bulk" (stupid word but that's the idea) is definitely helpful to not store as much bf around your waist as you would otherwise from a high kcal diet.

If you don't wanna use weights, at least work them using other methods, as Tenny suggested.

Literally the only direct ab work I've done in years is practicing vacuums and hanging leg raises pre contest.

Otherwise, like you said, they get plenty of work indirectly.

they should get plenty of work indirectly....BUT....

if you must work them....NO WEIGHT....
twists...static holds (6in leg raises from the floor)...
4 sets of 30sec holds...

I would only do this precontest....

weighted mid-section training.....just like anything else, will
result in growth....

if mid-section growth isn't an issue to you....or you have an unusually
smaller waist and mid-section.....then do it up...probably wont effect you.

now....it will be noticeable enough that you can somewhat CONTROL
this growth.....after you've achieved the musculature you desire in that
area.....back the fuck off....

Having a strong core will help your deads, squats, rows, etc...

I do planks twice a week and some ab-roller work once every two weeks or so. That little thing is intense.

If you don't train abs, when you get real lean, you stomach will be kinda flat. If you do, a 6 pack will be noticeable.

Hang from a pull up bar then pull your legs up in front of you....stick them straight out for more leverage/work against your abs....

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws