over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help: Need to get fastest PT cert

Big Dave Smith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Okay, pulled out my PT cert from AFAA and it's expired (Sept). My boss hasn't figured this out or checked... but I need to get certified by something that looks legitimate. I'm not worried about it being one of the big ones like ACE or NASM because my reputation here is pretty set.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Most trainers at most gyms don't have current certs. Trainers without current certs (or even without certs at all) are still covered under the gym's insurance policy, even if they are independent contractors.

ISSA order it and take a few quizzess and they let you take the test right away, no waiting period.

Multiple choice, t/f, 2 case studies, and 8 essays. Can be done in a few days

The ISSA thing might have to suffice.

I don't want to take the AFAA test again, mostly due to it being an AFAA trivia test rather than actual knowledge test. It seems like most certifications have different opinions topics. I'd have to read the most up to date info (but the expensive book) and wait for a test to come in my area.

I'm at work now, but I'm going to try searching for an online cert. I did that years ago with a company. It was enough to show two gyms and get my clients started.

I hate this because certifications are nonsense. 95% of personal trainers have ZERO right to train people. It's scary.

ACE is very easy. I skimmed through the book and took the test, passed with no issues whatsoever. The nice thing is that it is pretty highly regarded in a lot of clubs for some reason even though it is so easy to obtain.

ACE is very easy. I skimmed through the book and took the test, passed with no issues whatsoever. The nice thing is that it is pretty highly regarded in a lot of clubs for some reason even though it is so easy to obtain.

Gotta agree with that. I originally set out for the nasm but then realized how most gyms don't really care how prestigious your cert is long as you present yourself well enough as a trainer.

Went with ACE and studied about a week in advance and rocked it. Sure you could take it without even looking at the book and do fine. I was almost disappointed I spent a week of studying for it lol.

Gotta agree with that. I originally set out for the nasm but then realized how most gyms don't really care how prestigious your cert is long as you present yourself well enough as a trainer.

Went with ACE and studied about a week in advance and rocked it. Sure you could take it without even looking at the book and do fine. I was almost disappointed I spent a week of studying for it lol.

is this true?

is this true?

Which part? The part about people hiring trainers based more off their looks and how they present themselves and interact with clients or how prestigious they are, or the part about the test being a joke?

I've been pt'ing for a little while now and have talked to others in this business. Know a few guys that have a bunch of certs, but don't have a ton of clients because they don't have great bodies and don't converse with strangers well. At the same time I have a friend from college who dropped out got his ace and is now making six figures. But the key was, he had a great body and he was a natural salesman who networked himself as well as anybody could.

I firmly believe that the key to succeeding in training is not what certification you have or even what you necessarily know, but how easily you can convince people that they need you to get in better shape/add muscle/improve performance etc. Not saying that's the best way to shape lives as a trainer, but think that's what employers care about the most.

Of course this is a bit of a generalization, but it's meant in regards to trainers who train the general public. Gyms that specialize in sport specific training for high level athletes or injury prevention will look for more than just any basic certification. But then again, those gyms like seeing trainers who have a b.s. in kinesiology or exercise science.

And yes, the ace is very easy.

Dave,

I think you'll just have to choose one and sign up for the next closest test. I did that with ACE. Literally skimmed the book, found a test the next week...passed it with flying colors and was training clients later that week.

I'm workin on my CSCS right now and I told myself I'd spend a little more time on the material just because of the price tag.

Find the cheapest test and kill that shit :headbang:

From my experiences a cert doesn't matter as much as personality. I have a CSCS from NSCA and didn't want to keep up with the continuing education cost when at normal gyms they don't really care. As long as you comunicate well with clients and get results and make it fun, then you're good to go. If you owned a gym and made money from good trainers, would you care if they passed a stupid test. I never got asked what cert I have by potential clients but I have gotten the respect because my shirt says trainer on the back. Haha.

I agree that the certification itself really doesn't matter as long as the club recognizes it. I work in a state where certification is not required and worked for years as a trainer without one. I got certified through ACE because it allowed me to make more money, but it has not changed anything about the way I train people. Experience and knowledge are what make a good trainer, not a piece of paper.

AMFPT, American Muscle and Fitness. By Greg Ladd, former North American champion.

Sorry, not a fan of Ace or issa, I dont give a shit about osmosis and how cells divide(those arent quick certs to get)

AMFPT, American Muscle and Fitness. By Greg Ladd, former North American champion.

Sorry, not a fan of Ace or issa, I dont give a shit about osmosis and how cells divide(those arent quick certs to get)

I was just gonna say that

AMFPT

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner