over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HELP: problems making HUGE omlet?

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Ok, im finally gonna ask. I cant seem to make an omlet with 8-10 whites and 3 whole eggs. Its just too much volume. Less eggs i can do fine, but when it gets to this much..how the heck do you make it? I feel like i almost HAVE to scramble them for it to be thoroughly cooked. Otherwise it is never fully cooked (in different spots or on top, or middle when you fold it), or it falls apart when i try to fold and flip it. Anyone else have this problem?

Ok, im finally gonna ask. I cant seem to make an omlet with 8-10 whites and 3 whole eggs. Its just too much volume. Less eggs i can do fine, but when it gets to this much..how the heck do you make it? I feel like i almost HAVE to scramble them for it to be thoroughly cooked. Otherwise it is never fully cooked (in different spots or on top, or middle when you fold it), or it falls apart when i try to fold and flip it. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you have a LARGE pan?!?! The larger the pan, the more it can spread out to cook evenly. Now as far as flipping it goes, a large spatula along with a pan tilting move should work :)
I can't say i have experience with that many eggs...my largest has been 6 whites and 3 whole eggs, but it's worked.

Good luck! :)

countrychic is an expert...I have trouble as well, mostly due to my impatience, i use 10 or so whites and a few whole eggs with veggies etc, then i cook and burn or cook and raw in the middle...
CC cooks th same amnt for me and cooks them on low heat and covers them also to stem heat the top partially... She also puts them in a fairly large nonstick pan and voila, awhile later im eating a great omelette....I think the low heat and larger pan non stick helps....She will set it straight if i missed something im sure...
good luck...:D

For the flip

2 spatulas, I know many that try it with one and it always tears, the secret: use two large ones, makes it a world easier.

i make 12 egg omlette's all the time, well when i have more time in the mornings i do the omlette, when im running short after the gym and have to rush off to work, i just scramble.

Anyway, make sure you wisk your eggs for 2-3 min, get them nice and fluffy, lots of bubbles. Big pan works best, make sure you pam it up really good. Let that cook on low heat for a while until the top starts to become a solid. Take that pan and pop it in your oven broiler for a minute or 2 (depending on the oven) that will cook the top for you so you dont have to flip the sucker.
When you pull it out, take a knife and cut just a tiny bit down the middle of the omlette, helps you fold it without tearing it.

Don't forget about poached

Poached eggs
1 medium sized skillet 3 inches of water, covered, and the stove top on high heat.
while the water is heating up add the egg whites to a large bowl and then add the whole eggs to the bowl. Put the whole eggs/whites mixture near the stove (so you can reach them).
When the water boils remove the lid and add 2 tablespoons vinegar and a couple of pinches of salt.
Then take you're egg mixture bowl sideways like you are going to pour and actually dip the edge under the water and let the egg mixture run out into the boiling water.
Turn the stove off and cover the skillet again. Wait 4 to 6 minutes depending on how you like you're eggs and then remove from the water with a large straining device.

I just watched a show on the food network, where the chef made a 12 egg omelet. He basically just had a large griddle to cook on. Served the monster on a pizza pan! Did i mention the mountain of hash browns he added to the side:D

You must master the air flip: Flipping the whole thing at once. This is also useful with monster pancakes...

-R

easiest way to do it is to get a frying pan that has a metal handle. preheat your oven to 350. start the omlet as usual then when you need to cook off the top just pop it in the oven for 5 min. this is how they make TAMAGO, its a japenese omlet used to test the skill of a new sushi chef.

LOL - soon to make their re-entry into my dietary selections...

-R

I got a cheat meal one time ( feels like 10 months ago...lol) and went and had my favorite meal in the world:

Egg white omlet with grilled ckicken cheese, and veggies topped with two slices of avacado and 2 HUGE granola pancakes...They are honestly and you can ask Natalie too the best pancakes I have ever ate...

OMG I am hungry....LOL...

easiest way to do it is to get a frying pan that has a metal handle. preheat your oven to 350. start the omlet as usual then when you need to cook off the top just pop it in the oven for 5 min. this is how they make TAMAGO, its a japenese omlet used to test the skill of a new sushi chef.

heh maybe they will listen to you since you are well known for your cooking :)
I said that about the oven about 6 posts ago
no reason to flip, thats where you are all messing up.

I'm a new guy on here, glad to see a post i can help with. If you want to cook a large omelet, you need very low heat and if you add a little water and cover it, the steam will help to cook the top of the omelet as well. Then when it looks pretty sturdy, give the pan a tilt and use one of those rubber things you scrape cake batter with to get under the omelet (other utensils will tend to destroy the omelet) and flop it over and sort of catch it with the pan.

You must master the air flip: Flipping the whole thing at once. This is also useful with monster pancakes...

-R

Yup, that's what I do. It takes just a little bit of practice. Start out with crepes or something easy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqTmm8NwsRg
look at this omlet...they been doing this since Napoleon was alive.

I been down there twice for that...many people from around the world attend this event...? got me?...never would eat it though...birds...lol

Last edited:
an omelette gets folded, that's what he's talking about, stricking it in the oven, actually the broiler, is a frittata. To fold it, I have an 8" plastic spackle knife that I use that I got from Home Depot, works good.

For large omelettes depending on the size of your pan, you cook the bottom side until its halfway done then use a spatula lifting the omelette letting the uncooked egg on the top run under the bottom of the cooking omelette. When the bottom is done cooking you can then flip your omelette like a pancake without splattering egg everywhere. Once you flip your egg you can either roll/fold it with whatever goodies you want inside, making it a true omelette. Or keep it open faced and place your goodies on top and place it in the broiler making a frittata. The trick to flipping omeletts is using the right sized spatula and a no stick pan.

I'm a frittata making machine. My girls have me make them frittatas almost every morning. I chop tomatoes, green peppers, onions, grade a little cheese, and might have one or two other toppings they can choose. I usually only use egg whites and low fat cheese in addition to the other toppings.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131