over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help starting back lifting after a partial knee replacemnet

geoff68

Newbies
I am starting to lift again after having a partial knee replacement back in 06. I have been check my the doc and he said don't go super heavy. The problem is I LOVE squats. Call me crazy but was and still is my fav lift. Just wanted to see what y'alls thought were on different lifts with this injury. Thanks

I had a total kneee replacement in May of last year. It got infected, had to run antibiotics. Develoed a bunch of scar tissue that was blocking ROM, so they went back in August with the arthroscope and got that out. Recovery has been slow but steady since.
I thought I would maintain my upper body no problem, but having your leg cut off and reattached isn't that minor of a procedure. I just really started training upper body effectively in January. Coming along OK with that.
As for the leg itself, some days it feels a lot stronger than others. I can do a variety of squats, with very little weight. I do hacks with one plate per side, free squats with 135, smith machine with a plate plus a 25 per side, and DB squats with 50's. I use a low bench for a depth guage,(except hacks) and I can get deep enough, barely below parallel. I shoot for a minimum of 12 reps on all sets.
I do leg press for higher reps, 20+, using partials in the bottom part of the move to warm up.
The trick on squats and leg press is to keep focused on the replaced knee/leg to do its share of the work. Takes some focus once the set starts getting difficult.
Hardest thing for the replacement knee is extensions. Some days I feel I'm getting stronger with them, some not.
I've had major surgery on both shoulders and one elbow before the knee. Took at least a year after each to get back training like I want. This isn't going to be any different.

Thanks

Hey thanks for the insight mnb. going to apply some of those techniques next lift day.

tnr 2 yrs ago

I am starting to lift again after having a partial knee replacement back in 06. I have been check my the doc and he said don't go super heavy. The problem is I LOVE squats. Call me crazy but was and still is my fav lift. Just wanted to see what y'alls thought were on different lifts with this injury. Thanks
I am 50 yrs old and had a tnr done 2 yrs ago they used a stryker III tnr on my R knee, it was the best thing I could have ever done ,I wish I had it done 5 yrs ago instead of putting it off, the first week was tough I could only get 15deg flexion but with the help of hgh and doing all the P/T as told I was at 134 deg flexion in 4 months, being a massage therapist and having a lot of knowledge with the surgery I had my recovery was fast and I can now do things that I never thought I would do and the gh does wonders make sure you push it but not to the point of pain but the P/T is the most important part of any surgery.. Don't just lie around doing nothing you have a new knee now get some use from it

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws