over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help with nutrition, how to adjust for best weight loss

bigal2

Registered
Down 62 lbs so far, basically eating something similar to whats below everyday.

Weight has been slowing down to only 2-3 lbs a week, instead of the 5-6 the first 2 1/2 months.

Anything you guys would adjust? I was thinking of maybe lowering my carbs a bit more.

If I ever get a craving, I'll usually just grab another quest bar (those things are delicious). So that may be added some days, not many.

I know this is lower calories than most of you would ever imagine. But I've mainly had one goal, and thats to lose a lot of weight. Strength hasnt went down either. So If I'm losing some muscle size thats ok. As I want to get to about 240 before I start worrying about that.

Times are:
Breakfast : 8
Snack: 10:30
Lunch: 12:00
Snack: 4:00
Dinner: 8:00

Attachments

• daily totals.JPG
    daily totals.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 194
I don't see how a guy would function off 1000 calories. You DIET could be a lot better and then you could eat more calories. You are going to starve yourself and the first thing that will go with protien that low is muscle. That DIET is not good, IMO.

Last edited:
That diet is horrible...its all processed or canned...way too much sodium as well...your body is in starvation mode at that calorie deficit.

Can you afford to hire one of the trainers on here?

That diet is horrible...its all processed or canned...way too much sodium as well...your body is in starvation mode at that calorie deficit.

Can you afford to hire one of the trainers on here?

Not right now. Any small recommendations?

Why dont you start with your stats...height, weight, training schedule, supplements etc...

Why dont you start with your stats...height, weight, training schedule, supplements etc...

5'11"
288lbs (355 about 3 1/2 months ago)
trying to hit the gym 3-4 days a week. Cardio at least twice. Every 3rd week I'm on call for work. So it can be iffy that week.

Supps:
3 fish oil caps a day
3 Glucosamine & Chondroitin
3-4mg of l-arginine
500mg l-citrulline
400mg EGCg
One a day vitamin
3 500mg l-carnitine

I just seem to be the type that can put on muscle pretty easy when I train, but then if I quite I get soft pretty quickly.

Eating less was just my first thought, as I was eating pretty bad before hand.

Just trying to figure out how to do it right.

Last edited:
If its working for you stick with it!

My only suggest is to add in one high carb day a week. Shoot for 300-500g. Keep fats low and keep your protein the same. This will help boost metabolism and restore/increase leptin levels.

Down 62 lbs so far, basically eating something similar to whats below everyday.

Weight has been slowing down to only 2-3 lbs a week, instead of the 5-6 the first 2 1/2 months.

Anything you guys would adjust? I was thinking of maybe lowering my carbs a bit more.

If I ever get a craving, I'll usually just grab another quest bar (those things are delicious). So that may be added some days, not many.

I know this is lower calories than most of you would ever imagine. But I've mainly had one goal, and thats to lose a lot of weight. Strength hasnt went down either. So If I'm losing some muscle size thats ok. As I want to get to about 240 before I start worrying about that.

Times are:
Breakfast : 8
Snack: 10:30
Lunch: 12:00
Snack: 4:00
Dinner: 8:00

Try to get your carb as close to zero as you can and use those extra calories you save to increase protein (should be aprox 60g on top of what your already eating). Then have at LEAST one high carb meal a week.

Just FYI, it takes about 500 calories per day just to supply enough energy for your brain to function. At 1000 calories that only leaves 500 for the rest of your body for the whole day! Way too low.

Just FYI, it takes about 500 calories per day just to supply enough energy for your brain to function. At 1000 calories that only leaves 500 for the rest of your body for the whole day! Way too low.

That's what body fat is for.

Although, I think these calories are very low for this guy stats, he is constantly losing weigh at a steady healthy rate and his strength is maintaining. If his fat loss had completely stall or if he was feeling very weak and lethargic then he might need to bring his calories up, but this doesn't seem to be the case for him.

That's what body fat is for.

Although, I think these calories are very low for this guy stats, he is constantly losing weigh at a steady healthy rate and his strength is maintaining. If his fat loss had completely stall or if he was feeling very weak and lethargic then he might need to bring his calories up, but this doesn't seem to be the case for him.

Absolutely, to a certain extent. Unless you're eating so little your body thinks it's starving and doesn't want to let go of body fat.

The other problem with calories that low is when fat loss does stall, where do you go? You can't eat much less than that. It should be a gradual decline in food IMHO. He probably could have had the same fat loss eating twice that much if he were eating nutritious, wholesome foods. And that would have left him somewhere to go.

Absolutely, to a certain extent. Unless you're eating so little your body thinks it's starving and doesn't want to let go of body fat.

This is why its important with a drastic calorie reduction like this to incorporate carb refeed days 1-2 times per week. This will increase t4 to t3 output aka increase metabolism and also increase letin leptin levels which plummet with hard dieting. Also weigh lifting is very important as well as it help to maintain what muscle he has plus increase his sensitivity to letin.

The other problem with calories that low is when fat loss does stall, where do you go? You can't eat much less than that. It should be a gradual decline in food IMHO. He probably could have had the same fat loss eating twice that much if he were eating nutritious, wholesome foods. And that would have left him somewhere to go.

I do agree that this would of been a better option, but its too late now. If he introduces 1000 calories everyday to his diet he is just going to regain weigh. I guarantee it. Imo, its best for him to keep trucking along as he has been doing and when he reaches his goal of 240 then he can scale up a little bit on the calories and try to add some muscle.

Thanks for the input guys.

If I was to do the 1 day of carbs. I'd probably do Saturday. As this would be my most intense workout day. Better to get those carbs in before that workout or after? (for fat/weight loss) And best way to get these carbs?

I was probably a little crazy on lowering the calories that low, but I had to do something. And that just made sense in my head, mathematically, eat fewer calories than I use and you lose weight.

Like I said I can gain muscle pretty easily. So I'd rather get down to the goal weight and worry about that then, instead of gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time and not seeing the scale change (just a mental thing for me)

As far as the food choices go, what would be some good substitutions for someone that cant prepare their meals ahead of time. Hence the lunches (subway, chick fil a, mcalisters)

Speaking of trainers from the board, I would love to be able to hire Shelby, Id imagine he could work some magic. Love the results people get from using him.

Thanks for the input guys.

If I was to do the 1 day of carbs. I'd probably do Saturday. As this would be my most intense workout day. Better to get those carbs in before that workout or after? (for fat/weight loss) And best way to get these carbs?

I was probably a little crazy on lowering the calories that low, but I had to do something. And that just made sense in my head, mathematically, eat fewer calories than I use and you lose weight.

Like I said I can gain muscle pretty easily. So I'd rather get down to the goal weight and worry about that then, instead of gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time and not seeing the scale change (just a mental thing for me)

As far as the food choices go, what would be some good substitutions for someone that cant prepare their meals ahead of time. Hence the lunches (subway, chick fil a, mcalisters)

Speaking of trainers from the board, I would love to be able to hire Shelby, Id imagine he could work some magic. Love the results people get from using him.

Both. You should be eating carbs around the clock all day. If you like subway then get the leanest choices and munch on that all day. If you don't like eating around workout times both before or after, drink a sugar beverage or eat some candy low in fat. With those any of those carbs try to limit the fructose and high fructose corn syrup and shoot for foods higher in pure starch (bread, rice, potatoes), glucose, dextrose or corn syrup (candies and some drink beverages). The whole idea behind this is to jack up your insulin and keep it elevated for the majority of the day and also refuel muscle glycogen. This will help reset some of the damaging effects of the hard dieting. Don't freak out if you gain a few pounds. Its mostly going to be water and glycogen. 2-3 days in you will be back were you were or even leaner/lighter.

Wow, some of this advice here is downright horrible. Bro, you are well below your BMR, really unhealthy. I agree, hire Shelby. Hell if you did 30 to 45 minutes of cardio 5 times a week, you could drop weight and increase calories. Guys really need to study more on how to make the body a fat burning furnace, with foods. I think your training needs a close look at too. On a good note, you did drop some good weight and congrats. Now you need a balance DIET that will make you healthy and drop BF. That is long term too, not a quick fix. ;)

Wow, some of this advice here is downright horrible. Bro, you are well below your BMR, really unhealthy. I agree, hire Shelby. Hell if you did 30 to 45 minutes of cardio 5 times a week, you could drop weight and increase calories. Guys really need to study more on how to make the body a fat burning furnace, with foods. I think your training needs a close look at too. On a good note, you did drop some good weight and congrats. Now you need a balance DIET that will make you healthy and drop BF. That is long term too, not a quick fix. ;)

The only horrible advice is the those telling him he has a horrible diet and to hire a trainer. The advice is lazy and vague. Its obvious that he doesn't want to change his diet or make the time to prep his own foods. Its obvious he doesn't want to hire a trainer. He is dropping weight at a constant rate of 2lb a week with little to no loss in strength. And as far as I know he feels good/normal. What if his calories are low? You see doctors all the time recommend these extreme lower calorie diets to obese patients. Imo, if he is happy with his results to keep going until he either hits his goal or hits a plateau where he can't loss anymore with out some paid advice.

In all honesty though, trainers are a waste of money. You can DIY.

Calculate your bmr and activity level here Estimated Calorie Requirements or here Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs (advance tab allows you to plug in your bf % fo rmore accurate calorie reading)

Then shave off 500-1000 calories either through more activity or calorie reduction. Keep protein at least 1g per pound of lean muscle mass, not including fat weight. You will have to get a aprox bf % and deduct it from your body weight. When you hit plateaus you, may have to cut a little more calories,increase activity level, decrease carbs and fat and replace them with protein and/or include refeed days. Its really that simple. Its not rocket science.

Last edited:
The only horrible advice is the those telling him he has a horrible diet and to hire a trainer. The advice is lazy and vague. Its obvious that he doesn't want to change his diet or make the time to prep his own foods. Its obvious he doesn't want to hire a trainer. He is dropping weight at a constant rate of 2lb a week with little to no loss in strength. And as far as I know he feels good/normal. What if his calories are low? You see doctors all the time recommend these extreme lower calorie diets to obese patients. Imo, if he is happy with his results to keep going until he either hits his goal or hits a plateau where he can't loss anymore with out some paid advice.

Calculate your bmr and activity level here Estimated Calorie Requirements or here Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs (advance tab allows you to plug in your bf % fo rmore accurate calorie reading)

Then shave off 500-1000 calories either through more activity or calorie reduction. Keep protein at least 1g per pound of lean muscle mass, not including fat weight. You will have to get a aprox bf % and deduct it from your body weight. When you hit plateaus you, may have to cut a little more calories,increase activity level, decrease carbs and fat and replace them with protein and/or include refeed days. Its really that simple. Its not rocket science.

Thats what I did at first. But calculated it for my target weight, and then just took even more calories off that.

I understand that what I did isnt the best idea. and I do appreciate all the replies so far.

Still remains from the original post, that the diet probably isnt best, but what would help make it better.

If i add more calories to it, what would you guys suggest they be from? along with carb/fat/protein ratios.

Thanks a lot guys!

Oh, and I am drinking right at 1 1/2 Gallons of water everyday consistently. I know thats got to be right.

His diet is horrible...its all canned and processed food...the only reason hes losing weight is because hes only taking in 1000 cals a day...you could eat canned dog food and lose weight on that many calories a day. As far as the trainer it just seemed to me that the op could use some nutritional advice from one the guys on here at very low price...thats all

He hadnt even posted up his stats or what his w/o's were-nothing except his processed food fest...

While i respect your opinion the fact of the matter is I didnt have much to work with and was waiting to hear from the op with his reply...youre advice is on point wrt the bmr and the other info you have given him so maybe he will listen and follow! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to give him some idea of what to do...

Last edited:
OK, I'll preface this by saying that I'm NOT knowledgeable at this and only going by my own personal experience.

I started at about the same (335) although am quite a bit taller.

My diet at times was similar calories to you, with more training and clenbuterol / t3 added. Did a similar cut of 50-60 lbs very quickly (3ish months). From there (i.e. now), I added more calories from protein and a few little "bad" foods to keep me on it.

My average day is:

Breakfast: 250ml egg whites w/ two eggs on a ww hamburger bun with about 40g of cheese

Lunch: (sometimes skipped for time, like you I'm not always home, and don't pre-plan meals) otherwise typically chicken burger, hamburger, chicken breast.

Dinner: A variation of Chicken Breast, Chicken burger, Hamburger, meatballs, "meat muffins", or steak with a small likely carb side (sweet potato fries, noodles, burger bun, etc)

Snack: Protein shake w/ banana

One of the keys to making things work that I found was making all my own food - I make all my own hamburgers using only XL ground beef, make my own spaghetti sauce / pizza sauce, my own guac, etc. That will help you to control what you're eating in your main meals and limit the sodium if it's going to be high on other things.

I also find eating generally the same thing makes it easier, as I only buy exactly what I'm going to use / eat.

My only real difference between when I was eating 1200ish calories a day to now is that now I'll eat way more of the protein - a couple chicken breasts with a meal, or close to a lb of lean ground beef
/ chicken. That way I get my calories up and add more protein.

Again I have no idea if my way is good, but it helped me greatly to see those initial results, which pushed me even further in the gym. I don't blame you at all for going that route - totally understand where it comes from. Eventually your fat loss will stall and go slower, that's just a fact. Perhaps now would be a time to introduce clen if you can handle it, or to throw more cardio in the mix.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws