over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help with sleep.

hoover291

Registered
Looking for any help. My father has not been able to sleep more then a few hours for the past couple of years.

Does anyone have any programs or supplements that help with getting back your sleep cycle?

Not looking for over the counter Nyquil or sleep pills.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

5-HTP
Melatonin
chelated forms of magnesium with zinc
I even like having carbs pre bed meal as carbs help you sleep . I train lat night so I can afford it.

these are main all natural supplements, safe and sound options.

also as u get older your body produces less and less melatonin which affects circadian rhythm. so melatonin might be the first thing I would try as this might alone fix his issue. 5 htp for serotonin and mood enhancement . can be taken through out the day for appetite management and mood enhancement and sleep quality too. Magnesium most people are deficient in and it's need to calm down nervous system and relax along with many many other things . hope it helps your dad. all the best mate.

OP, have you had a chance to read the thread on sleep apnea? I recommend reading that and see whether your dad has the classic symptoms of sleep apnea and go from there.

2 grams of gaba and 3 mgs of melatonin works wonders for me

Seroquel 25 mg. 1/2 hour before sleep...will sleep like a baby and no groginess in the morning.

Any known medical conditions that your father may have? Or any medications that he may be taking, even OTC?

Here are the supplements that help sleep cycle:
1.L-TRYPTOPHAN
Taking 2-5 g one hour before bedtime
2.5-HYDROXYTRYPTOPHAN (5-HTP)
Taking 100-300 mg 30-60 minutes before bedtime
3.MELATONIN
Taking 5-10 mg one hour before bedtime.
4.GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID (GABA)
Taking 5 g 60 minutes before you hit the sheets
5.VALERIAN ROOT
At least 600 mg one hour prior to bedtime

Seroquel 25 mg. 1/2 hour before sleep...will sleep like a baby and no groginess in the morning.
Don't you think an antipsychotic is a little bit of a harsh jump for an undiagnosed sleeping issue?

2 grams of gaba and 3 mgs of melatonin works wonders for me

This combo along with some valerian root keeps me (most the time) asleep throughout the night. Even during a contest prep it more often than not does the trick.

Looking for any help. My father has not been able to sleep more then a few hours for the past couple of years.

Does anyone have any programs or supplements that help with getting back your sleep cycle?

Melatonin for SOME can re- balance sleep patterns.
Its cheap and easy to find,,start with 3mg right before bedtime.

5-HTP
Melatonin
chelated forms of magnesium with zinc
I even like having carbs pre bed meal as carbs help you sleep . I train lat night so I can afford it.

these are main all natural supplements, safe and sound options.

also as u get older your body produces less and less melatonin which affects circadian rhythm. so melatonin might be the first thing I would try as this might alone fix his issue. 5 htp for serotonin and mood enhancement . can be taken through out the day for appetite management and mood enhancement and sleep quality too. Magnesium most people are deficient in and it's need to calm down nervous system and relax along with many many other things . hope it helps your dad. all the best mate.
We have tried melatonin. But I dont think he stuck with it. This is hard to help him because im not always there. I am going to read up on all the help.

Thank you

1.L-TRYPTOPHAN
3.MELATONIN
5.VALERIAN ROOT
Can these be taken together?

1.L-TRYPTOPHAN
3.MELATONIN
5.VALERIAN ROOT

Shiff melatonin + contains all of that and more. Its dirt cheap at Costco and lasts a LONG time.

My father went thru this for a whole year after stopping self prescribed lorazepam cold turkey after 35 years of continuous use.

His shrink started prescribing drug after drug (seroquel included) and after a while he was a mess, sleepy all day, falling constantly, etc.

We finally found a good doctor (neurologist) who started discontinuing all the drugs, one by one and left him only with only a small dose of clonazepam, which was removed after one year.

My advice: look for a good doctor, one who cares and knows what he's doing. For now, only try natural stuff, like passion fruit extract or something like that.

I noticed I don't have problems falling asleep but after about five hours I wake up and find it hard to sleep the remaining 2 to 3 hours I'm always going in and out of sleep during that timeframe. During that timeframe I still can remember my dreams so I am assuming I'm still going into REM during that period.

It's hard to say. Does he have trouble falling asleep, or STAYING asleep?

I'm going to go a different route than some of the other posts, although I agree with some of them. Sleep hygiene should be the first thing addressed, then start adding supplements possibly.

Think about modern life for a moment. Damn near everybody has a smart phone which they use to conveniently browse the internet all the way till bedtime. I used to be guilty of this, even checking up on the forums while laying in bed.

Two problems with that: blue light exposure from the screen (ANY electronic device, including TV) will prevent the mind from winding down, and hampers the body's natural melatonin production.

Also, just the act of web surfing right before bed keeps the mind racing at the time that you don't want it racing.

I don't know if that's relevant to him or not, but it's worth looking into. He needs to make sure lights are dim and he's doing relaxing things like reading a book in the last hour before bedtime.

Failing that, theanine and valerian root would be a couple of incredibly safe and cheap supplements to try. They are subtle; not a drugged feeling. Magnesium is also worth adding no matter what. From what I understand, there aren't very many people who legitimately get enough mag in their diets. It MUST be a quality form like mag glycinate or taurate. Oxide is worthless.

Hope this helps. I never have trouble falling asleep at night anymore. I just have the problem of waking up at 4am when I don't even want to.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc