over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help with squat form

NOSUPERMODEL

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was wanting to know if there was anything that could do to help me out with my squat form. I notice when I squat (also in the leg press) my knees go in when I push up. I believe a lot of this is due to the fact that I walk on the inside of my feet. Can't remember what its called, I think pronate. Not sure? But anyway I was wondering if maybe putting a 5lb plate on the inside of my feet and maybe balancing on it would help. Kind of like putting a plate under your heel, but this would be under my instep. I have a feeling that the form is preventing me from developing the outer sweep. I have pretty good muscle definition in the "tear drop" muscle...sorry I don't know the name. But the outer sweep and the top of the quads are behind in development.

Post a video of yourself squatting - get one from the side, and one from the front.

Knees tracking in is often a sign of weak adductors.

When my gym went out of business one of the pieces I kept was my adductor machine. They aren't just for the women. Listen to Shelby.

focus on pushing with your hips and glutes instead of quads. just stand up and perform a body squat but focus on squeezing glutes and you can feel your knees almost lock into position and they almost can't flare in. i'm sure there are better ways but it worked for me and box squats helped too.

Post a video of yourself squatting - get one from the side, and one from the front.

:yeahthat:

You can do side lunges to strengthen your adductors and abductors.

Low bar vs high bar squat.

The lower I could get the bar on my back, the better for me with the hip tightness I've always had. But then your wrists start to take a beating.

When my gym went out of business one of the pieces I kept was my adductor machine. They aren't just for the women. Listen to Shelby.

Doing your squats relatively wide like a duck squat will also focus on the adductors.

Watched the 5 part video. I have the same problems the guy they were teaching has. I need to work on the accessory training he talked about. Got to figure out how to do the glute ham raises at my gym because I know they do not have one of those machines.

i like the form but how do they go slightly below parellel with no rounding at all ?? Olymic lifters even round the back slightly out of the bottom of the movement

adductors

It's probably adductors. I would use louie simmons wide stance box squats. Maybe adductor machine.

I will try and post a video up. But I have a feeling that it is my abductors. I sit behind a desk all day long and I know they are tight. Going to start working them a little before leg days and then also on Saturday when my main goal is just fasted cardio. I could also work on the accessory exercises on Saturday also. Not that I want to squat 1100 pounds like the guy in the video, but being able to squat with good form I believe will help the development of my legs.

Guys if his knees are caving inward as he presses up, its more than likely not weak ADductors its weak ABductors. Do you ever do any glute activation? Your hips aren't firing correctly.

As a warmup do double/single legged hip extensions, monster/mini band side steps, Squats w/ mini band just above the knees (this will make the knees cave inward, automatically making you have to fire your hips to keep them out). If you don't have any form of bands then you can do side lying leg abductions (toe pointed down to the ground, heel up high) and side lying clams.

As far as your actual squat, do you try and "spread the floor" as you are squatting? If not, this is crucial, just like bending/pulling the bar apart on a bench press. Imagine you are on a long strip of paper in your squat stance, attempt to rip the paper in half under your feet. This action will fire the glutes and save your knees.

Edit:

Just read your post above about sitting all day long... thats a common issue causing weak inactive glutes. If I had to guess your hip flexors, primarily rectus femoris, are tight which will contribute to your glute weakness and inactivity. Foam roll or do some soft tissue work on your rectus femoris, then stretch it, then activate the glutes. For stretching it I would recommend a simple split stance hip flexor stretch (focus on squeezing the glute on the same side you are stretching, the knee thats on the floor) if thats not a strong enough stretch then elevate your rear foot either against the wall or on a bench and treat the stretch the same. Again in this stretch focus on squeezing the glute on the side you are stretching.

Last edited:
Wow!!! I have a lot of searching to do. I do not what half of those exercises and stretches are you just mentioned Janitor.

youtube them, there should be tons of videos

People often focus on adductors and forget to strengthen external rotators. Side lying clam will help fix that.

also sometimes its not even a weakness thing. Sure it could be weak adductors or abductors or hamstring or glutes... sometimes you just need to work on your form and get the right motor pattern. Go light and force correct form.

also sometimes its not even a weakness thing. Sure it could be weak adductors or abductors or hamstring or glutes... sometimes you just need to work on your form and get the right motor pattern. Go light and force correct form.

To me this is the answer. Use a weight that you can do proper form with and then slowly add weight over the course of months, its almost like starting from scratch again. I think its more coordination.

I do think that doing the squats with a wider stance will make it less likely to bow the knees in.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws