over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HERNIA IN THE MIDDLE OF CONTEST PREP!

worldspan

NPC Judge
JUDGES
Registered
Just wondering if any others have been thrown the curve ball of finding out they have a hernia, in my case in pelvic area, in the middle of contest prep ?

If so, how did you handle ?

I have only seen my general practicioner and he feels I can postpone surgery until after my contest on November 13th. But I am now being referred on to the surgeon who might not necessarily agree.

No doubt if I am able to continue I will have to modify my training, maybe no deadlifts or squats. Right now there is only occasional pain and not yet experienced such while I train

If this ever happened to you, your input would be most appreciated.

WORLDSPAN

Bump-what kind of hernia?

Have you ever had a doctor tell you to turn your head and cough while he or she shoves their finger up and into your scrotum? What the doctor is doing is checking for a protrusion into the inguinal canal from the intestine. The inguinal canal is where the spermatic cord goes through to the testicle(s). Women have an inguinal canal too but it serves a different purpose.

I developed an inguinal hernia during my prep last year. I ignored it for a while until it started getting painful during lifts. The surgeon recommended surgery. That was 7 weeks out from my show. I agreed under the condition that he could get me back training within 2 weeks.
As it turned out, my tear was worse than he originally thought (due to ignoring it and continuing to lift as usual). He insisted on doing a mesh sewn in from the front (less chance of failure compared to sewing in from behind the muscle arthroscopically). My surgeon knew I was competing so he made the incision low to hide it beneath my posing suit.
I was down for 5 days, then back to doing light lifting and easy cardio at day five, then back to normal lifting by day 12. Doing ab work was the most difficult to get back to. I was able to compete and have had no trouble since.

I believe it is an inguinal hernia. Will know for sure when I meet with surgeon tomorrow Friday. Falls back into place very easily and so far not hindered my training in the gym, even my ab workouts. Just occasional tightness on the left side of the groin for an hour or two once a day

WORLDSPAN

How far away is your contest? If several months, you may want to get it fixed soon. If just a few weeks or less, even if you have to modify your training, it won't make that much difference. Squats, deadlifts, etc. are not THAT critical right now and you can work around them until after the contest.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear