over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Herniated disc

knucklehed

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I am suffering with various symptoms, and recently had a MRI that revealed a herniated disc at C7. The estimate is a 6-8mm protrusion, which is pressing on the nerve root causing pain and numbness in my right arm. Even worse my right triceps strength is at about 50% of normal. I am waiting to see a neurologist appt still 2.5 weeks out. I hope to be treated with epidural injections to shrink the disc, but have been told the protrusion is very large and may not be treatable this way.
Anyone with experience please share
thanks

Sorry to hear this.... If the protrusion is hitting the nerves this means that the disc is placing presure into the spine not pushing outside the spine. That is why it's hard to get help with in injection because it difficult to hit the exact spot with the needle. Dont worry about the epidural my wife does them all the time.... It will be painless.
I had a similar problem in y neck cant remember the # and they used cortizone inj and the pain was temorarily controlled but what has help me the most was physical therapy, where they used a table to stretch out the spine and neck. I am ok now but my neck alway's feels stiff.
Good luck.

I have never had this happen. :( I hope you can get it figured out and get it fixed.

Whatever you do..Do not let a Dr. talk you into a fusion or other types of invasive surgery. Try the ESI's and give it some time...Most Bulging/herniated discs treat themselves in less then 3 months.

I also suffered a similar injury recently ( C-5, C-6 ) my neck has been bad for years and finally went. I had the same symptoms. My right tricep, front delt, pec and right forearm were all affected. Mine happened about 4 weeks ago. The nerve symptoms subsided after the second week. I just went back to the gym this week to start my rehab. The right arm is extremley weak on pushing movements, pulling movements seem to be ok but still a little shakey.

I went to my chiro the first week twice a day which helped me alot. I also iced it several times a day for 20 minutes a shot, Ibuprofen ( 800 mg every 4-5 hours ) will help with the swelling. I also started some mild neck exercises and strtching which seems to help.

My chiro and all the stuff I 've researched said that it usually takes 2-3 months to heal and hopefully get back to full strength ( or close to it anyway )

Pars

Best of luck with that, Knucklehead.

I hope it gets better soon.

Whatever you do..Do not let a Dr. talk you into a fusion or other types of invasive surgery. Try the ESI's and give it some time...Most Bulging/herniated discs treat themselves in less then 3 months.

i agree with not getting surgery right away.... but do you honestly think a herniated disk will treat itself? i have had one for 9 years....

i have never heard of a herniated disk treating itself... maybe a bulged disk but not a herniation.....

google "IDET"

wake
Looks interesting..

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies. I turned forty this year and I am suddenly falling apart LOL... Seriously after so many years of perfect health, and only minor pulls and tears etc, it is difficult coming to the realization that I am not bullet proof...
After just rehabing the ruptured pec and now this fun little problem: My advice: Listen to Phil
Make your health a top priority, and train safely... Don't take your bodies for granted. Living in pain and loosing physical functionality is no picnic.

You better talk to TRAPZ about this one, he has quite a different opinion of the painless comment

Sorry to hear this.... Dont worry about the epidural my wife does them all the time.... It will be painless.
Good luck.

i had 6 epidurals before i got my procedure '' IDET '' done . the first 2 were ok because of the anesthetics (spell ? ) , but the rest were straight without anything and i have to admid that i felt like crying . these are not just a friggn shot with a 1 inch needle , these are shots that you will always remember , LOL :D . i am done with that shit . thank God , i am able to lift again . i had my disc ruptured when i was 23 - 7 years ago .

wake

I had a herniated disc (L5) and man it was the worse thing ever...I rehabed myself to 100% within 5 to 6 months...the first 80% took only 3 months...

STRETCH, MASSAGE, and STRETCH again.

Last edited:
Hey Knucklehead, Best of luck and I hope this gets fixed quickly for you. I hate to hear about this sort of thing. My back hurts just reading this thread. All the best bro!!

You need to go to a physical therapist and get cervical traction. This will open up the space between vertebrae sothat the disc can perhaps move back into position. I am a physical therapist and I have had fairly good results with patients with same diagnosis. Surgery should be last option.
Good Luck

thanks man

You need to go to a physical therapist and get cervical traction. This will open up the space between vertebrae sothat the disc can perhaps move back into position. I am a physical therapist and I have had fairly good results with patients with same diagnosis. Surgery should be last option.
Good Luck

been doing traction 4 times daily 20 minutes and 35Lbs for nearly 4 weeks.
I am improving and will be back onstage regardless how pathetic it may be. I will compete as a mster fail or prevail no matter.

Last edited:
Ive had this where my left leg is numb i did spinal decompression therapy.It took 6 weeks then i was better.All from squats they told me to never do them again.

bulged disc

I had a bulged disk at the l-5 pushing on my s-1 nerve. The pain went away after I first did it, so I kept lifting on it. A year later, I had constant nerve pain. Sometimes they will heal on their own but lay off anything that compresses the spine. Get it checked before you go back to squats of deads with a mri to make sure it's healed. I didn't and opted for the surgery after 3 years of pain. Did the epidurals (mine hurt like hell, felt like molten lava being put in my spine)and the first one did relieve about 50% of my pain. Second one did nothing; I think they missed the area. I got 25% of my disc cut out and layed off squats for a few years. I was told I would never squat again but after learning correct form I hit my best ever on squats this year. I was lucky and learned from my past errors. Good luck, give it time

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear