over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Herniated Disk C5-C6

haze324

FOUNDING Member
Registered
Fellas,

About 2 months ago I had this tremendous pain in my neck, traps and shoulder area and thought I had torn some ligaments. I had a pretty bad injury in my shoulder a few years a back, but after some physical therapy I was able to get back in the gym. Never had MRI's done- so can't say exactly what it was. Well when my recent injury happend I was at Pain Level 10. I could not lift my head up without being in tremendous pain, my right shoulder if it wasn't supported would start to sting and eventually fall asleep. When I would stand up the natural stretching of my traps with my shoulders down would kill me as well.

After getting and MRI of my shoulder and C-spine my shoulder MRI says it was consitant with previous dislocations, but that everything is normal. For my neck area it reads:

"Threre is a large disc herniation at C5-C6 producing stenosis i the mild right paracentral and right foraminal region. There is mild desiccation of the other cervical discs."

I'm going to ortho tomorrow and surgery is definetly an option, but what are the chances of recouping with re-hab?? I feel pretty normal now. I still feel somewhat of a tingle in my shoulder if I put my neck in a certain postions. I haven't worked out in a little over 2 months now, but if I try and do push-ups I still feel as if my shoulder isn't firing sometimes. I feel strong when i do, but its not the same - its not painful - just missing some snap to it.

How much working out or physcial activity can I do without messin myself up more or slowing down progress.
What do you guys think??

Last edited:
Had the same thing in C4-5 a couple years ago. The bulging disk was pressing against a nerve and causing a lot of pain. My doc prescribed physical therapy but this only provided temporary relief, so I wouldn't recommend it. All they did was apply heat, then do some stretching, then the therapist would apply pressure on it with his fingertips, supposedly trying to push it back into place. Three times per week for a month cost me $800. I could have done all that myself. The thing receeded on its own after time and now only bothers me occasionally. I'm on the phone a lot at work and have to use a headset or I'll be in a lot of pain at the end of the day. Not much in the gym bothers me at all, though I've been avoiding shrugs. Aspirin works best for pain, but I also have occasional acid reflux, probably caused by the aspirin, so I try not to use it too often. Extra strength Tylenol works too, but I hear now that there are liver toxicity issues. On rare occasions when the pain was too much and keeping me awake, Tylenol 3 and Flexoril (sp?) was a great help.

I considered surgery as well, but I was not in constant pain and the pain I did have was not enough to justify it, in my opinion. I believe that all they can do is cut off the part that is bulging out from between the vertibrea, but if it were to receed naturally, I think it would be better had it not been cut.

Last edited:
Hello, I would really suggest you see a good ortho as you said specially because it says you are developing Stenosis, in the Lumbar area stenosis is not bad but in the cervical area it needs to be checked as soon as possible. Once the nucleous pulposus gets out of the anulus fibrosum in the vertebral disc, it pinches the spinal cord, producing the numbness you described earlier which if untreated can lead to nerve damage and paralysis. This is not to scare you but basically to give you the knowledge to go to a good doc and let him know that what you have is something serious.

In 2000 I was diagoised with c4-c5, c5-c6 and c6-c7 heriation afte an MRI was done. Had loss of feeling in my left thumb and index finger. Numbness in the shoulder and inside of arm. Went and got a Mylagram, which is like an MRI except they insert a 4 inch needle into the spinal cord at the stem ad inject contrast which showes the spinel fuild flow. Between c6 and c7 I had 90 % restriction because the disc was pinching the spinle coard. We elected to fuse 5/6 and 6/7. Only two at a time should be done They were to use bone from my hip to replace discs. When the cut me open they found c6 was actualy fractured so the took it out and replaced with a bone graph from a cadaver. If you elect surgery I would highly recommend seeking the exertise of a Neoro-surgeon. Thats who did mine . Orhos work Knees , elbows, anles etc. And would be ok for Lumbar or even Thorasic problems, but for C Spine problems I woud talk to a Neuro Surgeon. If you are in Florida I can recommed one

Last edited:
yardrock said:
In 2000 I was diagoised with c4-c5, c5-c6 and c6-c7 heriation afte an MRI was done. Had loss of feeling in my left thumb and index finger. Numbness in the shoulder and inside of arm. Went and got a Mylagram, which is like an MRI except they insert a 4 inch needle into the spinal cord at the stem ad inject contrast which showes the spinel fuild flow. Between c6 and c7 I had 90 % restriction because the disc was pinching the spinle coard. We elected to fuse 5/6 and 6/7. Only two at a time should be done They were to use bone from my hip to replace discs. When the cut me open they found c6 was actualy fractured so the took it out and replaced with a bone graph from a cadaver. If you elect surgery I would highly recommend seeking the exertise of a Neoro-surgeon. Thats who did mine . Orhos work Knees , elbows, anles etc. And would be ok for Lumbar or even Thorasic problems, but for C Spine problems I woud talk to a Neuro Surgeon. If you are in Florida I can recommed one

Great advice yardrock, btw how was your recoup after the surgery??

Thanks fellas....yeah I went to ortho today and spoke about my shoulder and previous disslocations, but he recommended someone else for my neck.

Good luck, Haze, and keep us posted. Seems to be a fairly common occurance so your experiences could help others.

Information

Did the MRI report state the measurement of the bulge? Usually the report will say a 5-6 mm or such disc bulge. This can be used to predict whether surgery may be a practical option. As far as paralysis, the pressure has to be so direct on the nerve root for such a long time that degeneration of the myelin sheath occurs and is irreversible. If the pressure was directly on the spinal cord in the cervical area, the symptoms would include those releated to any anterior space occupying lesion. Pain, dysesthesias, etc. in both upper and lower extremities. I agree that the only surgeon that would touch me would be a neurosurgeon. As a last resort before surgery, consult with a good doctor of chiropractic that works closely with other neuoros and orthos. There are chiropractors that are also board certified neurologists and orhtopedists. You have nothing to lose with this conservative method and can still choose surgery if a 6 week trial of chiropractic manipulation does not work. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
rauljimenez said:
Great advice yardrock, btw how was your recoup after the surgery??

12 weeks in a hard neck collar 24/7. No work. No driving. Very restricted activity and very uncomfortable. 4 weeks in soft collar. Pain and numbness gone right away. Still have 2 ore to go.

Tis the season for this stuff, I guess. I was going to start a thread and ask the same question(s) as I have a herniated disk C6-C7. I really dont feel anything while working out, however there is (constant) pain doing the normal things like sitting, standing, laying down, driving to work, etc. Had the MRI last Wednesday and had the results read back to me on Friday morning by me Chiro/Physical Therapy doc. Have to see an ortho surgeon now (what was recommended) and see what he recommends.

Been doing the physical therapy stuff for about 6 weeks and the pain has actually worsened and never seems to go away. As of right now, I am not a big believer in this physical therapy stuff (adjustments, ice/hot, stretching exercises) as it hasn't seemed to do anything thus far. My doc thinks the ortho will recommend to continue therapy (didnt say for how long) and see if this fixes it. My concern is going to therapy 2-3 times per week for the next 6 months (or two months/whatever) and nothing changing--just "wasting" $30 per visit. Im a cheap bastard anyway.

Certainly didnt intend to hijack the thread--just piggyback off of it, hoping to learn from everyone and their experiences. Hope it gets better for you...

-slide

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity