over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

herniated disks

kaoz

Registered
i have 2 herniated disk lower back ive been hurt a little over 2 months ive got alot better since then i do spinal decompression therapy i still get a little numbness in my leg from the disk bulging on my nerves have u guys went through this before i want to start to work out again its killing me i started gh 2 ius a day will this help what else can i do will i be able to squat again

kaoz said:
i have 2 herniated disk lower back ive been hurt a little over 2 months ive got alot better since then i do spinal decompression therapy i still get a little numbness in my leg from the disk bulging on my nerves have u guys went through this before i want to start to work out again its killing me i started gh 2 ius a day will this help what else can i do will i be able to squat again
Hello,

I have had ONE disc herniated in the past. It was bad enough that my reputable orthopaedic surgeon told me that I would end up in a wheelchair if I ever lifted weights again.

After a while of not training though, I was feeling rotten and the pain was still nagging at my lower back. So I decided to go to the gym and do some stretching, maybe some chest and some pulldowns. I figured doing some flat DB pressing and some pulldowns couldn't hurt. Well the pain gradually diminished to nothingness. I was very careful to go VERY easy on the overhead pressing movements, and it took months before I even squatted or deadlifted 135. A few times I took breaks from training and the pain returned. I got back into it and the pain went away.

A couple years later, I was deadlifting 405 with a belt. How's that for a guy headed for a wheelchair? :D

In the process, I developed an exercise, which stretches the lower spine and reinforces the lumbar erectors at the same time:

Attachments

• Ball Hyper.gif
    Ball Hyper.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 167
Grunt76 said:
Hello,

I have had ONE disc herniated in the past. It was bad enough that my reputable orthopaedic surgeon told me that I would end up in a wheelchair if I ever lifted weights again.

After a while of not training though, I was feeling rotten and the pain was still nagging at my lower back. So I decided to go to the gym and do some stretching, maybe some chest and some pulldowns. I figured doing some flat DB pressing and some pulldowns couldn't hurt. Well the pain gradually diminished to nothingness. I was very careful to go VERY easy on the overhead pressing movements, and it took months before I even squatted or deadlifted 135. A few times I took breaks from training and the pain returned. I got back into it and the pain went away.

A couple years later, I was deadlifting 405 with a belt. How's that for a guy headed for a wheelchair? :D

In the process, I developed an exercise, which stretches the lower spine and reinforces the lumbar erectors at the same time:

that exercise is pretty much a reverse hyper. some gyms dont have an actual reverse hyper machine but they are very helpful for lower back problems and they strengthen it as well. its a powerlifters exercise used to increase your squat and deadlift, but louie simmons from westside barbell swears its a miracle for back pain and back problems.

kaoz said:

I have a herniated disk in the L5 its a bitch! to say the least, I have had MRI's done numerous times and the docs told me the same as above, i would end up in emergency surgery if I tryied to squat or deadlift or lift pretty much anything for that matter. I was unable to squat for a yr. but am now back in the groove and can squat just fine. when th mri's were done the doc told me they have never seen such muscle mass around the lumbar spine area befor(made me feel pretty good!) i think the exersize above is good, I bought an inversion tablew also and has helped me dramatically there about 300 bucks but worth every penny. i can tell when it is going to flare up though(the nerve on the disk) and just have to back off what I'm doing, train smart!

Yes I have had the L-5 herniated to the point my toes on the right side were numb...no sneezing, coughing, driving, sitting, sleeping, and just about anything...

I stretched and stretched again....tons of self rehab and got to 100%

PM I will give you all the details.

ironfreak83 said:
that exercise is pretty much a reverse hyper. some gyms dont have an actual reverse hyper machine but they are very helpful for lower back problems and they strengthen it as well. its a powerlifters exercise used to increase your squat and deadlift, but louie simmons from westside barbell swears its a miracle for back pain and back problems.
True, but a reverse hyper on an exercise ball is IMO even better for back problems. You can really stretch the lower back area like nothing else will let you, because of the shape of the ball. The stretch is on a wide curve and not at a sharp angle like the reverse hyper. And you can easily roll on the ball to change the apex of the stretch. Try it man you will see a very nice positive difference from the normal reverse hyper. You can do the stretch even when in pain and it will help tremendously.

l-5 is the one thats bulging against the nerves i will try that exercise

herniated discs

If there is something I can give some advice/info on it is this. I'm in my 20's and have had two surgeries and may be looking at a third for herniated discs. My first one got so bad I couldnt barely walk, thats when I went through with surgery(at one of the top 10 hospitals in the country according to US news). It worked great, was almost back to normal after about 6 monthes, you will more frequently have muscle injuries in the back after surgery, spasms, pulls, things like that, but it was worth it. The second surgery I had at a different hospital didnt work out as great, the herniated disc cause my left leg to have about half the strength of my right and my left foot was completely numb as when your foot falls asleep. It also tingled and felt like someone was electrocuting it. That surgery did not help one bit. I see a doctor this week to see what else can be done.

Let me fist say that about 80% of the population at one point in their life will have buling or herniated disk. I forgot what % of those dont experince any pain, but it was about half. IMO surgery is only warranted if your back problem is causing problems such as Encopresis/Enuresis or permananet nerve damage and muscle detetioration. I di the research when I was told I needed sugery and outcome was not good. Within 5 years after surgery a high % of patienets had reoccuring severe back pain scar tissue damage and recoomendations for additional surgery.

I had a cracked vertebre L4-5 and 2 herniated disk L4-L5, L5-S1 and a bulging disk also L4-L3. Was sceduled for surgery twice and cancelled. I suffered back pain,Leg numbess for 3 years and even had to take a leave of school and work for 6 months it became so severe. I di every therapy imagainable. It finally resolved on its own. Ther are studies out that these things resolve on their own , but may take a few years. Most people cannot tolerate this and want a quick fix which in the long run can cause further damage and a continuing pain cycle that is life long.

Stick with the strengthing exercises and lots of stretches everyday (Hams, psoas,glute) stretching very importnat. Make it part of a daily routine. The reverse hyper is an great exercise along with the pelvic tilt and plenty of stretching hould be part of everyones routine to prevent injury.

I was told I should not lift more that 20 pounds and built my way up to squats and deads close to 500 pouds with no problems.I am not saying doing this as I am more conservative with my lifts now because heavy wieght can parcipitate and injury, due to different factors.

Good luck and do lots of research before ever making any decisions that can have permanent outcomes.

kaoz said:
l-5 is the one thats bulging against the nerves i will try that exercise
Good stuff bro, come back with some feedback.

dragonfire101 said:
Let me fist say that about 80% of the population at one point in their life will have buling or herniated disk. I forgot what % of those dont experince any pain, but it was about half. IMO surgery is only warranted if your back problem is causing problems such as Encopresis/Enuresis or permananet nerve damage and muscle detetioration. I di the research when I was told I needed sugery and outcome was not good. Within 5 years after surgery a high % of patienets had reoccuring severe back pain scar tissue damage and recoomendations for additional surgery.

I had a cracked vertebre L4-5 and 2 herniated disk L4-L5, L5-S1 and a bulging disk also L4-L3. Was sceduled for surgery twice and cancelled. I suffered back pain,Leg numbess for 3 years and even had to take a leave of school and work for 6 months it became so severe. I di every therapy imagainable. It finally resolved on its own. Ther are studies out that these things resolve on their own , but may take a few years. Most people cannot tolerate this and want a quick fix which in the long run can cause further damage and a continuing pain cycle that is life long.

Stick with the strengthing exercises and lots of stretches everyday (Hams, psoas,glute) stretching very importnat. Make it part of a daily routine. The reverse hyper is an great exercise along with the pelvic tilt and plenty of stretching hould be part of everyones routine to prevent injury.

I was told I should not lift more that 20 pounds and built my way up to squats and deads close to 500 pouds with no problems.I am not saying doing this as I am more conservative with my lifts now because heavy wieght can parcipitate and injury, due to different factors.

Good luck and do lots of research before ever making any decisions that can have permanent outcomes.
I *ABSOLUTELY* agree bro.

Docs are only too happy to charge you zillions for repeated surgeries. That is how they pay for their Bentleys.

Discs can repair themselves. IGF-1 and pegylated MGF are growth factors that can GREATLY speed up this process, so long as well thought-out mobilization and stretching are also undertaken.

Surgery to remove discs is IMO one of the worst surgeries one can undergo. Sometimes it is the only option, but those cases are MUCH less frequent than the doc will tell you.

AVOID SURGERY at all costs

Back sugery sucks ass...I spoke with many people that had herniated disc surgery and all of them regret it. Not one person was happy in the long run. They were happy for the first 2 months, then the pain came back.

Think of your disc as a marshmellow with jelly in the center...well that jelly gets push to one edge of the mellow and causes the edge of that mellow to press against the spinal cord.

I rehabed myself from a L-5...my toes were numb and I could not do anything.

My QUICKIE advice...STRETCH as much as you can(hammies mucho importante), lay on your back with your knees bent or up on something with your knees bent...even if you are just watching TV...anytime you can get that pressure off your back you will be happier for it. INFOMERCIALS....CORE CORE CORE strength...get those core muscles strong and flexible.

Holly Shit I have a herniated disk on my lower left side, my chiro took some x-rays which stated there is a break in Georgia’s line what ever that means. He wants me to get my spine stretched using some machine for 6 weeks 3 times per week. All I can say is this is very painful the worst is when I have to go from a lying position to standing. The worst part is that I have no idea how this happened to me. All I know is that I did 30min of treadmill and when I went to walk off I was hunched over in major pain.

It has been 2 weeks and things are not getting much better every morning I wake up wondering if it is still going to hurt and it does, about the only thing that has changed is that I can stand up straight. Any recomendations other than taking pain meds all day?

Last edited:
Big Ed said:
Holly Shit I have a herniated disk on my lower left side, my chiro took some x-rays which stated there is a break in Georgia’s line what ever that means. He wants me to get my spine stretched using some machine for 6 weeks 3 times per week. All I can say is this is very painful the worst is when I have to go from a lying position to standing. The worst part is that I have no idea how this happened to me. All I know is that I did 30min of treadmill and when I went to walk off I was hunched over in major pain.

It has been 2 weeks and things are not getting much better every morning I wake up wondering if it is still going to hurt and it does, about the only thing that has changed is that I can stand up straight. Any recomendations other than taking pain meds all day?
Yes, I have a suggestion: read this thread.

My post did not come out right. My question was asking what can be done about the pain other than lay down? Stretching is alot to ask for considering the fact that I can hardly stand without being in pain. Chiro said to ice area 25min on 40 off. Any other suggestions to help with pain?

Big Ed said:
My post did not come out right. My question was asking what can be done about the pain other than lay down? Stretching is alot to ask for considering the fact that I can hardly stand without being in pain. Chiro said to ice area 25min on 40 off. Any other suggestions to help with pain?
Oh... I get it. Taking devil's claw root and painkillers would be the only thing. Problem is, that pain is telling you something important: DON'T FUCKING MOVE. Now that message is mostly right, except if you only move to go stretch on a ball as I have indicated above. Taking the painkillers to do that would IMO get you fixed quicker than staying put.

But take it slow. When I herniated my disc, it took me 3 weeks before I could bend down enough to tie my shoes. Luckily I was married at the time.

i took vicodine for 2 weeks just to be able to move around every time i sat up lots of pain i also do the spinal decompression 3 times a week i dont know if i should stop that and get massages plus do my stretches

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member