over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hernons calf tip...wow

Stayinfit

Registered
So last night I went through alot of his threads and found the calf tip one where he says to get into a smith machine and load it up and just go. No block or anything to get that stretch. Uhhhhh, you guys have got to do this!!! I could not believe what I did to my calves today!!! Jeeez!!! Now I see why he says you do not need to get the stretch...no way!!! Talk about overload!!!

I did seated calves in the smith machine the same way. From the floor up, no stretch.

Found my new calf routine!!

Do you put the bar on your shoulders or hold it in front like shrug position?

Something else to try lol!!!

how did you do seated calves in the smith machine? did you put the bar on your knees? Curious, never heard of this before.

Can you elaborate on this a little more?

Been doing this for years now, love it

On the smith machine:

Standing calf, bar on the shoulders,
seated, yes, bar across the knees. I'd use one of the sissy pads....

Im going to try this as my calves are just baby's and need them to grow to cow status

Wow, never thought I'd be bothered that our gym had no Smith machine :mad:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

the one thing i hate about doing unconventional exercises like these or some of the mountain dog exercises i utilize is people see you doing them and ask you about them... I feel like I have to explain each one atleast 5 different times to different people. Then they want me to watch them do it to see if they are doing them right, when im not even 100% sure I am doing them right haha

Calves are one of my best parts and I built mine largely by focusing on the peak contraction [top half] of a calf raise [or press] not the bottom/stretch half.
As always prove is in the pudding
**broken link removed**

I've been doing these for over a year now, I like them a lot, also got them from Phil. I just use the squat rack though, I think having to stay balanced adds to it.

I've been doing these for over a year now, I like them a lot, also got them from Phil. I just use the squat rack though, I think having to stay balanced adds to it.

Yes very much so. My main exercise for calves is one legged calf raises. This increases the balance aspect compared to two legged. It also allows for some serious overload

Best to do these before back squats, really preps the CNS for squats

My calves are a weak point, but have been making progress doing high reps from the floor and then just doing a long stretch after, and ditching the stretch position of the calf raises as well.

the only thing i do that actualy has a focus on squats is when I do lunges , when I stand up I do a one legged calf raise , the calf is under tension for a good part of the lunge so why not give it a good squeeze at the top

I do think big calves is largly genetic , I only do lunges 2 times a month and have only focused of actualy working the calf for the last 3 years and they are one of my most noticed body parts

Been doing calf raises with no block or stretch for years. Just felt more natural.

Either barbell behind neck like a squat or dead hang like a deadlift. Easier to balance with dead hang and man does it do a number on the forearms. Wrist wraps are always necessary on the final set.

Calves are my best body part. They are currently 17 1/2 inches around and have been as big as 19 1/2. Size and shape are mostly genetic for sure. I do the basics for them. Barbell calf raises, seat raises, machine raises, db raises. One leg, both legs. As for reps, I vary them from 8-30 reps, but I find higher reps work better for growth. My theory is that calves may have more fast twitch fibers. I will have to try the seat calf raises on the smith.

Last edited:
Calves are my best body part. They are currently 17 1/2 inches around and have been as big as 19 1/2. Size and shape are mostly genetic for sure. I do the basics for them. Barbell calf raises, seat raises, machine raises, db raises. One leg, both legs. As for reps, I vary them from 8-30 reps, but I find higher reps work better for growth. My theory is that calves may have more fast twitch fibers. I will have to try the seat calf raises on the smith.

the gastroc, yes
the soleus, no

for most...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88