over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hey thigh-guys; need Leg routine advice

tank74

Registered
This winter I am focusing on my legs. The problem is, I am glute dominant. I don't need it to grown anymore, but need to hit my thighs/hams.

Current routine- once a week

Front squats 5x5 after 3 set warm up.
Leg Press (Narrow Stance) 2 warm ups, 4 heavies for 12 reps
One leg extensions x4 sets per side

SDDLs x4
Lying hamstring curls x6

Any more ideas on exercises? maybe the same thing but twice a week?

Again trying to minimize glute growth.

Do you squat low bar or high bar? If you squat low bar, your story makes sense. I feel that high rep leg press with slow negatives or even drop sets makes good quad growth. That along with ridiculously heavy sets of hack squat machines. If you look at every ifbb, they're almost always on the hack squat machine and for good reason.

I never liked front squats really cause biomechanically it makes my arms or shoulders hurt like hell. I do smith squats that jmeadows uses that target your quads.

I know if I begin my workout by working hams when I go to squat I cant sit back into my hams/glutes as much and as a result Im have to lean forward a little more into my quads. Makes it a much more quad dominant exercise.

When I squat first as I said I sit back into my glutes more and stay more upright.

I prefer squats like that than trying to do a front squat to hit quads harder. Front squats feel awkward to me.

Have you tried hack squats. I really believe this is a great quad movement that is often neglected. I feel it deep in my quads more than anything. Slow and deep will fry those quads. Alternate between high and low reps, done after leg extentions, should result in a very satisfying pump. Then proceed with squats and/or leg presses.

Have you tried hack squats. I really believe this is a great quad movement that is often neglected. I feel it deep in my quads more than anything. Slow and deep will fry those quads. Alternate between high and low reps, done after leg extentions, should result in a very satisfying pump. Then proceed with squats and/or leg presses.

I would either follow this guys advice and go for about 3 sets of hacks or if you don't have that option I would add more sets of squats, even up to 8 sets, sounds crazy I know but in trainees that are more advanced , higher sets ( more then 4 ) gains are actually quite high, this wasn't exactly a one sided thing where researchers were "trying" to get there method to work either. The researchers predicted 8 sets would overtrain the trainee while 3-4 sets would maximize hypertrophy, but 8 sets was actually significantly better. I just started throwing this in , I reccomend starting out just adding 1 set per 3-4 weeks, then add another set etc.

You could even make the last few sets a different rep range, maybe your first 4 sets 6-10 reps, and the last 4 sets 12-16

It's not so much as the number of sets of hacks you do, nor the weight, as it is the intensity with which you do them. Get your head into the movement, feel the contraction. You will know when you've had enough. Your legs should scream. This is, in my opinion, the best direct quad movement. As I said, just my opinion.

Just seems like you aren't doing enough movements for legs. I look at it in two ways, quads and hams. I obviously count basically everything that isn't considered a hamstring movement towards quads, even though the hams work in on a lot of movements.

Squat
Leg press
Hack Squat
front squat
leg extensions (just to push as much blood as possible at the end, just a lot of contraction)

leg curls
SDDL
single leg curls

That would be something like mine. Sometimes, unfortunately, when my head isn't in the game I just mentally cannot do all that and it fucking sucks. But usually I do 4 sets and lately I have been going heavier than usual. I think switching it up is key, and incorporating things like drop sets, adding weight before racking then doing another set, rest pause, all that stuff helps.

Just seems like you aren't doing enough movements for legs. I look at it in two ways, quads and hams. I obviously count basically everything that isn't considered a hamstring movement towards quads, even though the hams work in on a lot of movements.

Squat
Leg press
Hack Squat
front squat
leg extensions (just to push as much blood as possible at the end, just a lot of contraction)

leg curls
SDDL
single leg curls

That would be something like mine. Sometimes, unfortunately, when my head isn't in the game I just mentally cannot do all that and it fucking sucks. But usually I do 4 sets and lately I have been going heavier than usual. I think switching it up is key, and incorporating things like drop sets, adding weight before racking then doing another set, rest pause, all that stuff helps.

Are you saying you do all that in one leg day?

I think legs respond best to lighter weight and higher reps 25-30 and high volume with very short rest periods between sets ...around 30 seconds

I would increase frequency.
I like hitting legs 2-3 times a week.

Im doing 4 days a week but lower volume, working on a strength routine.
They are growing let me tell you! I like the frequency.

Lately I've been hitting legs twice weekly and have been gettin good results as well. I have my 1st leg day more quad dominant and 2nd day more hams related but still incorpate both muscle groups alon g with calves each workout. I also believe in switching up stuleonce in awhile too

what really got my legs to grow, was heavy squatting, 5-8 reps to build up strenght so that i would be abel to do reps at a higher weight on the leg press, 20-25 reps on as much weight as possible for 4-5 sets then over to extensions and do 2-3 12 rep sets then a crazy dropweight set with as many reps as possible

Currently in squatting twice a week dc style and legs growing fast. It's fucking hard work and with dead lifting once a week as well it doesn't leave much in the tank for chest work and stuff. I'm just doing some machine work for chest after Squats for now and arm work almost non existent. All my trousers have got tight around the thighs rather quick and I'm growing well all over. Calories and protein high for recovery and growth and pre workout slin and gh helping a lot with recovery too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Do you squat low bar or high bar? If you squat low bar, your story makes sense. I feel that high rep leg press with slow negatives or even drop sets makes good quad growth. That along with ridiculously heavy sets of hack squat machines. If you look at every ifbb, they're almost always on the hack squat machine and for good reason.

I never liked front squats really cause biomechanically it makes my arms or shoulders hurt like hell. I do smith squats that jmeadows uses that target your quads.

I would squat low bar for comfort and balance, and flet like it protected my lower back. Front squats are pretty comfortable for me, but I always go ass to ground. I know this involves glutes more, but I can't bring myself to stop short.

I was thinking of adding box squats later in the routine for quad only without so much glutes.

Squat
Leg press
Hack Squat
front squat

leg curls
SDDL
single leg curls

Thanks Vince

If I can make a Ham only day, I will try this Quad routine.

I do hacks every other week, may do them more often.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys,

Are these all still with the mindset of minimizing Glutes?

I would think more back squats would exacerbate my issue.

Increase your reps and train with lighter weights. If you're after size there is no need to squat with any more than 315-365. Increase your reps and sets and decrease your rest time instead of increasing weight. Do anywhere from 10-50 reps. Stimulate your muscles. Training heavy with low reps if you're a bodybuilder is only training your ego and asking for injuries.

Hey Tank,

As you can see, there are many opinions, and they're all good suggestions.
But the key is change.

My best suggestion would be to hire John Meadows.
He will leave no stone unturned.

Just click his site in my signature.......and you will be well on your way to your goal. Well worth the investment!!!!!!!!

-MT

This winter I am focusing on my legs. The problem is, I am glute dominant. I don't need it to grown anymore, but need to hit my thighs/hams.

Current routine- once a week

Front squats 5x5 after 3 set warm up.
Leg Press (Narrow Stance) 2 warm ups, 4 heavies for 12 reps
One leg extensions x4 sets per side

SDDLs x4
Lying hamstring curls x6

Any more ideas on exercises? maybe the same thing but twice a week?

Again trying to minimize glute growth.

Are these all still with the mindset of minimizing Glutes?

I would think more back squats would exacerbate my issue.

Tank,

Try squatting only in the range of motion that you feel maximum tension in your quads/ minimal in your glutes.

Maybe increase the volume if the ROM is short or restricted.

Staff online

• Bio
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic