over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High androgen levels linked to severity of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2020

Newbies
Interesting research suggests high androgen levels, or more accurately high levels of DHT, appear to boost the virus' ability to get inside cells. They further hypothesize that DHT blockers like finasteride and dutasteride may play a part in inhibiting infection.

"Two small studies have reported that men with male pattern baldness are overrepresented among hospitalized COVID-19 patients. This type of baldness is associated with high levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a key metabolite of testosterone, in the scalp."

It's probably too late now, but they should pull bloods on these folks and test their DHT levels. MPD has more to do with DHT receptors on the scalp than sheerly high DHT, and it's not smart to make that kind of stretch as most men succumbing to COVID are older, and (MPD >) in older men.

Men also suffer greater degrees of Htn, diabetes, HF/atheroscleroris; all co-morbidities that create complications with covid 19 cases. Hope they get some concrete data on this stuff, very interesting nonetheless.

This amongst reports that show men with low testosterone have higher infection rates which is counter to this article as low TEST = LOW DHT

Seems like everyday the research contradicts itself.

Yes, it seems like every day a new study comes out showing either that men with hypogonadism are more at risk of being hospitalized or dying from COVID-19, or that high androgen levels are more of a risk. If you follow Michael Scally on Facebook, he has been posting the latest research as it comes out, and there is a lot of contradictory information.

The answer probably lies more in the comorbidities (hypertension etc.) that men tend to have at higher levels, rather than the androgen levels.

Seems like everyday the research contradicts itself.
Yeah. That's why I don't ever 100% wholeheartedly believe even medical studies. Pay for play, misleading info, errors, and the sheer complexity of interactions in the body.

Well, I think more men have been dying from the virus. Not sure if you can trust them, but here is what China and the WHO says:

"The Chinese researchers said that in one large subset of COVID-19 patients, more than 70 percent of those who died were men.

They said they found similar results when they examined research from the 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

The study was backed up by other figures released since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported that 63 percent of deaths related to COVID-19 in Europe have been among men."

Well, I think more men have been dying from the virus. Not sure if you can trust them, but here is what China and the WHO says:

"The Chinese researchers said that in one large subset of COVID-19 patients, more than 70 percent of those who died were men.

They said they found similar results when they examined research from the 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

The study was backed up by other figures released since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported that 63 percent of deaths related to COVID-19 in Europe have been among men."

Certainly yes, more men have been dying from COVID-19. But, as the article notes, is that androgen-related, or behavior-related?

Women, in my experience, are much more likely to wear masks and take plenty of health precautions to protect themselves. They're not concerned with the macho BS, being "tough guys", or potentially looking weak.

Men, in my experience, are much less likely to wear masks, much more likely to shake hands, and don't take as many health precautions as women. I know that I, personally, don't wear a mask unless I have to. We all want to look tough, and because of that we take chances and we aren't as concerned with protecting ourselves as women.

So are the differences really hormone-related, or is it because of our behavior that men are more likely to die from COVID-19?

Certainly yes, more men have been dying from COVID-19. But, as the article notes, is that androgen-related, or behavior-related?

Women, in my experience, are much more likely to wear masks and take plenty of health precautions to protect themselves. They're not concerned with the macho BS, being "tough guys", or potentially looking weak.

Men, in my experience, are much less likely to wear masks, much more likely to shake hands, and don't take as many health precautions as women. I know that I, personally, don't wear a mask unless I have to. We all want to look tough, and because of that we take chances and we aren't as concerned with protecting ourselves as women.

So are the differences really hormone-related, or is it because of our behavior that men are more likely to die from COVID-19?
Hard to say. I'm going to lean on the fact that women in general do have a stronger immune system, thats pretty much proven I think, and women live longer ( a fact). Is a lot of that because of androgens? Not known. I bet behavior contributes to the higher death rate, pretty sure it lowers life span too. Why women are less expensive for life insurance and car insurance.

Hard to say. I'm going to lean on the fact that women in general do have a stronger immune system, thats pretty much proven I think, and women live longer ( a fact). Is a lot of that because of androgens? Not known. I bet behavior contributes to the higher death rate, pretty sure it lowers life span too. Why women are less expensive for life insurance and car insurance.

I think it's fair to say us men do some of the dumbest shit knowing full well the consequence lol

This belongs in the, "Oh Man, Your Thought?" thread.

Remember, NO NEW COVID THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws