over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High Blood Pressure on HRT?

Conan21

Kilo Klub Member
I was put on HRT back in late august after suffering from low test for the past year. the doctor started me 150 mgs and then 200 mgs which brought my numbers to about 850 total test.

Yesterday I went in for a check up and one of the nurses said i looked flushed and took my blood pressure. It was 140 over 102. I was pretty shocked.

Since starting HRT i've gained about 40 lbs. could the weight gain have caused this? strenuous training? my diet is pretty good, i eat very clean and on most days my sodium intake is nill. I think the doctor thought i was taking more than 200 mgs saying that i had gained alot of size. I told him i was not but he has me going for a blood test to check my T levels as well as a few other things. I've also been really stressed out about work and not sleeping well. I'm thinking this could be a contributing factor.

Do any of you guys on HRT have BP issues? my blood pressure was 126 over 74 i believe back in august. I'm kind of baffled that it was that high. I'm wondering if the doctor should have put me on any BP meds for the time being? which he did not. I'm going to have to the drug store later and have one of the ladies there cuff me up and see what its at.

any recomendations would be welcome.

Last edited:
Go get your BP checked at a local fire station. Alot of the time those guys have nothing to do and will be gald to check it for you. I think it's the 40lb weight gain that did it to you. DO 20-30 min of cardio every day to help bring it down. Stress is also a major factor in jacking up your BP. CUt out any use of caffeine too.

PB

Hey Conan. I have been on HRT for the past 3 years after 10-11 years of heavy cycles. My urologist has me use a 5% test 2 ml gel which I apply every AM. My testosterone readings went from 130 to 880 and I feel great. I have to go in every 6 months to have my blood work for test/prostate levels. The workouts and the libido are good again. My BP also went from 120/80 to 140/90. Not too good. My doctor asked me when he gave me the script if I had BP issues and since it was 120/80 I said no. But now I have to really watch it. I am sure it can be a potential side effect or why would my doc ask me that? I go for a complete physical next month. I would not be suprized if I am put on some sort of BP medication. For me the HRT is worth it though... everything else I try to do too, the cardio every AM, lo-sodium diet, manage stress, etc. That has to help.

140 over 90 is at the " higher range " of an acceptable scale. I think with a Dr's input on could control it with diet alone.

Boo

thebrick said:
Hey Conan. I have been on HRT for the past 3 years after 10-11 years of heavy cycles. My urologist has me use a 5% test 2 ml gel which I apply every AM. My testosterone readings went from 130 to 880 and I feel great. I have to go in every 6 months to have my blood work for test/prostate levels. The workouts and the libido are good again. My BP also went from 120/80 to 140/90. Not too good. My doctor asked me when he gave me the script if I had BP issues and since it was 120/80 I said no. But now I have to really watch it. I am sure it can be a potential side effect or why would my doc ask me that? I go for a complete physical next month. I would not be suprized if I am put on some sort of BP medication. For me the HRT is worth it though... everything else I try to do too, the cardio every AM, lo-sodium diet, manage stress, etc. That has to help.

a script from doc may be the best idea.

The DR will likely prescribe a BP medication to lower it some. Even at that level, it is a little hard on your kidneys. Problem is...BP meds can be hard on your kidneys also. They will still want you to keep getting bloodwork done to see how your kidneys are doing.

thebrick said:
Brick,
How much did you weight increase on HRT, andy signs of water retention?
you may want to look in a BP med (doctor prescribed of course) as ACE inhibitors actually have kidney protective effects-reduce protein in the urine and by the mechanism of lowering blood pressure of course.

I'll post a separate thread on BP meds for those interested.

I have been on Meds for 5 years now, and as the doc told me my weight is the biggest factor.

For BB'ers-the contributing factors are Weight, water retention, hypercaloric diets and food intake, thickened blood, and dehydration for the most part.

Massive, my weight only increased maybe 8-10 lbs. (up to 208) No visable sign of water retention, just the muscles looked fuller and I felt a hell of a lot better. I go in for a follow-up in a few weeks, will definitely check in on the BP meds. thanks.

just restested mine

I was hoping it was a fluke last time. had a dude at the pharmacy take it.

was 130/98 (down a few points)

he said that isn't too bad??? doesn't sound too good to me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear