over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High Cholesterol on keto

Jammin

Registered
Have tried researching this but can't see anything conclusive. Been on strict keto for 3 weeks (50%P, 45%F, 5%C), one refeed meal and IF protocol throughout (16hr fast, 8hr eat window).

Just had blood test results and showing elevated total cholesterol values of 6.4mmol/L. My doc has asked me to go in and discuss with him. HDL is 1.2mmol, LDL is 4.4mmol/L, triglycerides 1.7mmol/L.
Would appreciate any thoughts on this?

Cheers Jammin

How are your T3 and reverse T3 levels? When I had blood drawn and I was in ketosis, my lipids looked "bad" (high LDL but normal HDL and trigs), my T3 levels were low, and RT3 was very high. I think for me keto is hard on my thyroid. Now I just eat carbs around my workout and do a weekly cheat meal / refeed. Blood lipids look excellent and I feel great.

Thanks Seven, havent seen full report so not sure on T3 levels, just been told the above and a 'come see me' message.
What amount of carbs are you taking in now?
Glad you're feeling better for it

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks Seven, havent seen full report so not sure on T3 levels, just been told the above and a 'come see me' message.
What amount of carbs are you taking in now?
Glad you're feeling better for it

I take in about 100g - 150g around my workout (pre, intra, and post). The rest of my meals are high protein, moderate fat, and trace carbs from veggies. On days I don't lift, I don't really take in any carb sources if I'm sticking to my plan. I got this diet template from reading what Shelby had been doing. I'm naturally a chubby guy.

I ask about T3 because my hypothesis is that keto is hard on the thyroid, which lowers T3 levels, and that's what causes the spike in ldl and total cholesterol. Hopefully Stewie or someone my knowledgable than me will see this thread and help to clarify. By adding in some carbs, I think that helps my thyroid stay normal and keep my lipids looking good.

Are you eating dirty fats? i.e low quality pork, cheap eggs, low quality cheese

Are you eating dirty fats? i.e low quality pork, cheap eggs, low quality cheese

I'm getting the above and plenty of sat fats, as well as mono's, but maybe not the cheapest versions out there lol. Is a cheaper egg better for me than a more expensive egg?

I would switch to lean meats-fish and add coconut oil- fish oil-olive-avocado-macadamia nut oil ONLY in my meals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total cholesterol isnt a good "health" indicator.

What are the ranges for your HDL and LDL?

I would switch to lean meats-fish and add coconut oil- fish oil-olive-avocado-macadamia nut oil ONLY in my meals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes would be my thinking as well. I do currently eat a variety of processed meats, whilst keeping at net 30 carbs. Thanks

High cholesterol compared to what? High cholesterol levels don't mean much unless you believe that it causes heart disease (which it does not) Inflamation causes heart disease and the medical establishment has been lowering cholesterol standards for years and heart disease has not been affected positively by it. They will tell you to cut out egg yolks and saturated fats, ( The yolks are the healthiest part) especially if you get eggs from free range chickens. And then they will put you on pills to lower your cholesterol and fuck up your liver and other body fuctions and it still wont save you from heart disease. Eat your good fats- Fish oils ect watch you HDL/LDL ratios.

High cholesterol compared to what? High cholesterol levels don't mean much unless you believe that it causes heart disease (which it does not) Inflamation causes heart disease and the medical establishment has been lowering cholesterol standards for years and heart disease has not been affected positively by it. They will tell you to cut out egg yolks and saturated fats, ( The yolks are the healthiest part) especially if you get eggs from free range chickens. And then they will put you on pills to lower your cholesterol and fuck up your liver and other body fuctions and it still wont save you from heart disease. Eat your good fats- Fish oils ect watch you HDL/LDL ratios.
Good point mate. Compared to what drs are telling me, not to what latest wisdom would indicate

If you are looking for a healthy diet, the one you are doing is not it. Good for dropping weight, but not the healthiest. I suggest taking Citrus Bergamot twice a day.

If you are looking for a healthy diet, the one you are doing is not it. Good for dropping weight, but not the healthiest. I suggest taking Citrus Bergamot twice a day.
Primary goal pesty is fast loss. I'm very much the endo and this seems to be working very well for me, so now it's moving from Adherence of the diet to fine tuning. I'll take a look at CB, Ive seen it mentioned a number of times but not read up on the benefits. Much appreciated

Primary goal pesty is fast loss. I'm very much the endo and this seems to be working very well for me, so now it's moving from Adherence of the diet to fine tuning. I'll take a look at CB, Ive seen it mentioned a number of times but not read up on the benefits. Much appreciated

Yea, I take it along with super greens and super reds. Makes a big difference.

I disagree with this statement. I don't necessarily think keto is the healthiest diet out there. But I personally feel someone can eat a keto diet and be healthy. I eat around 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein 5-10% carbs and I just had my blood work done and it was good. my cholesterol was good, triglycerides were good, ldl was good. Hdl was low( which I'm assuming was effected by the extremely harsh pre w/o oral I was taking 3-4X per week. just 10 days prior to blood work)

Last edited:
I disagree with this statement. I don't necessarily think keto is the healthiest diet out there. But I personally feel someone can eat a keto diet and be healthy. I eat around 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein 5-10% carbs and I just had my blood work done and it was good. my cholesterol was good, triglycerides were good, ldl was good. Hdl was low( which I'm assuming was effected by the extremely harsh pre w/o oral I was taking 3-4X per week. just 10 days prior to blood work)

Michael how long you been on keto. I'm Assuming you're well and truly adapted to fat burning?

I´ve experienced the same during keto diet in the past. My last keto diet went for about 16 weeks. HDL level was very low and LDL was super high, a lot higher than yours.

My doctor said, it is normal for cholesterol to be out of range if on ASS (as we know) and also when you are losing fat too fast cholesterol could also raise.

Now, we know that you should not be worried about your total cholesterol levels but about the size of the particles. The smaller the cholesterol particles (LDL) the higher the risk. You should get that tested if you are worried, but I think you should be fine. What about triglycerides were those out of range as well?

In my case, I think my problem was: The ratio between good fats and so-called "bad" fats. I was eating a lot of saturated fats and very low good fats.

I was also not consuming much fiber and I have learned that has a huge impact on your cholesterol levels.

After I did some changes in my diet (consuming more good fats and adding a good amount of fiber to my diet. Including foods to improve the good bacteria in my gut.) my cholesterol has come back to normal. I am not in keto anymore, and I do not think I will ever do keto for such a long time again. My HDL is higher than ever and my LDL in normal ranges.

Triglycerides were never out of range for me.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131