over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High Reps for Growth

ive been doing low reps heavy weight for a while think i might try and mix it up and try some high reps after reading this

I have been an advocate of higher reps for legs for years. I've come to this thought due to my skateboarding/wakeboarding/snowboarding. This type of stimulus ie thousands of reps of bodyweight a day from riding has made my legs very hard with good size. So, I figuered that if I lowered the reps into the range of 35-50 with wieght that is higher than my bodyweight it should add size. Low and behold my legs started to grow like weeds, and my jeans and pants were no longer fitting. This is a great way to large wheels.

Just a quick technique question on the leg press...How 'deep' should one go on the negative to get the full effect of the press? Should your knees be practically touching your chest or not so deep? I've worked my way up to 660x6 but I feel like I'm cheating myself with my movement. I plan to shift to the higher rep method in a few weeks but just wanted to make sure my form was optimal. Thanks for input.

It depends on your height, flexiblty, and range of motion (ROM). A rule I follow is to go deep enough that the small of your back and upper Glutes dont role up off the seat. This should prevent injury to your spine.

High rep leg pressing is the only exercise i do for quads. 3 bad disc. 15 years ago. No extensions, lunges, squats etc...... Very bad knees also. My legs have never looked better. I'm 48 years old. Don't fool yourself though, I am the master of the leg press! Plus I have shatty genetics. Classic ecto hard gainer. High calfs, high adductor inserts.

Attachments

• 3 of 3.jpg
    3 of 3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
really good read im gonna try it :headbang:

ergo,
Nice wheels bud. That's proof that high reps work for legs.

my legs have def put on some size in just the last two weeks from doing really high reps

48-years old with a set of wheels like that? i think im switching over to high rep...

Don't worry, when you get older this debate fixes itself. I am 47 and always did heavy weighs. ask even ronnie coleman, lighter weights and higher reps are in al of our future.:(

High rep leg pressing is the only exercise i do for quads. 3 bad disc. 15 years ago. No extensions, lunges, squats etc...... Very bad knees also. My legs have never looked better. I'm 48 years old. Don't fool yourself though, I am the master of the leg press! Plus I have shatty genetics. Classic ecto hard gainer. High calfs, high adductor inserts.

Quite impressive for LP work and no squats. Great wheels.

I get the best growth/shape from alternating between 6-12 for a month then 18-24 for a month

Don't worry, when you get older this debate fixes itself. I am 47 and always did heavy weighs. ask even ronnie coleman, lighter weights and higher reps are in al of our future.:(

Speaking as a 37 year old former powerlifter with a 725lb squat I can confirm this is true as well. I no longer compete and I no longer do sets less than 6 but do do sets of 15 very regularly.

Since my back injury earlier this year I've been doing higher rep sets and found that almost all of my bodyparts respond well to it, with the exception of chest and shoulders. They seemed to do better with more weight and less reps

Met a bodybuilder in a gym, he swears by less weight high volume.
He looked great also.

The last 10 weeks I've been doing higher reps (12/15) and i have to say my joints are loving it. I notice too certain body parts don't respond very well though. Chest for one. I like the higher reps for shoulders because I can really concentrate on the burn.

I've been hearing talk about high rep legs. Def gonna be trying it now. I can't see any harm from it. Thanks for the article

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws