over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High School Football Supplement

mung

FOUNDING Member / Board Supporter
Registered
Board Supporter
I think there are probably more than a few guys here who have, or are, coaching sports and I'm looking for a little insight if anyone has used any glycogen replenishment supps during summer training/camps and during game time. I have used waxy maize, but the clumping may be an issue as this will get mixed up prior to training and I will have them water up with it during summers sevens and training...so it may be more prone to clumping as it sits.

Has anyone used TP's potato starch or any other type of high mol weight carb? Also, did you add BCAA or glycerol to the mix? I have some reservation with kids and glycerol as some people have bad GI distress reactions. Just trying to keep our under-sized team on the edge.

Any insight would be great, thank you!

id do a packet of gatorade( for 5gal) throw in some malto powder, electrolyte powder(yes on top of the gatorade) and bcaa's
i wish i had a coach in HS with the forethought like you have

frk

This makes me remember a time when my wrestling coach would tell us to gargle water and spit it out if we were over weight for our class. I remember wrestling and my tongue being so dry it was like sand paper.

I hope my kid gets a coach more like you, that's for sure!

I don't know if you've checked out this new product from gatorade;

**broken link removed**

It's expensive. I recently saw it at GNC. Might look into it.

Good luck!

Take a look at Endurox R4. It's engineered towards recovery/rehydration after endurance activities.

**broken link removed**

I used it back when I was a team cyclist. It works.

Thank you for all the replies guys, my only problem is I would like to do this for about 40 kids from now until this fall. The enduroxR4 would cost prohibitive, but sounds like a great product. I'd like to support board sponsors and have always used TP, so am favoring those products.

FRKNHUGE, any preference on electrolyte powder?

Again, thanks for the replies and I think this will be the beginning of a trial and error process.

Anyone use the waxy, potato or swedish oat starch? I've sent TP an email and call and am just waiting their reply as well.

Thank you!

Take a look at the ingredients & nutrition data lable on the R4. Then see how close you can come using the custom mix at true protein. If you need someone to help, I'd be willing to spend some time on it. Just PM me if necessary.

Agreed

I think there are probably more than a few guys here who have, or are, coaching sports and I'm looking for a little insight if anyone has used any glycogen replenishment supps during summer training/camps and during game time. I have used waxy maize, but the clumping may be an issue as this will get mixed up prior to training and I will have them water up with it during summers sevens and training...so it may be more prone to clumping as it sits.

Has anyone used TP's potato starch or any other type of high mol weight carb? Also, did you add BCAA or glycerol to the mix? I have some reservation with kids and glycerol as some people have bad GI distress reactions. Just trying to keep our under-sized team on the edge.

Any insight would be great, thank you!

I agree with everyone- it's great you are trying to be smart... all too many coaches get too macho with the training and are very poor in the recovery aspect.

BCAA- yes, great idea... need to find a very mixable kind though... that stuff can get very clumpy.

As some suggested, it might be a good idea just to find an alreay pre-made formula for the kind of idea you are looking for b/c here's the thing... having too many carbs during exercise can hinder performace- it will pull blood from the extremities to the stomach/intestine to help digestion. Interestingly- this is why Gatorade REALLY IS a GREAT drink for endurance athletes... they have the optimal ratio of carbs to sodium to potassium (I don't work for the company, just read lot's of independant studies on it). It basically goes right through the stomach and into your circulation.

I think if you look around you will be able to find an already made powder with all you are looking for. Keep up the great work with the kids... it's all those "little" things that really are big things and can make a difference.

I saw the ingredients, and suppose they use the varying carb sources for extended release. Looks like it could easilty be replicated, with some additional supps.

Here's their ingr. - Dextrose, whey protein concentrate, maltodextrin, fructose, sucrose, citric acid, natural flavors, magnesium carbonate, vitamin E acetate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), L-glutamine, salt, soy lecithin, monopotassium phosphate, Red 40.

Thanks again quadsmack!

Thank you myosin!

I know gatorade will be the primary mix, and agree on the pulling of blood for digestion, and that was why I thought a higher molecular weight carb would be good. My thoughts are it would pass through the stomach and get absorbed directly into the small intestines reducing the pull of blood from the extremities/muscles. I think it will have to be a rather "light' mixture, %carbs/oz, to avoid the blood pull.

Additionally, I would like to see them water up with this mixture over extended periods of time, like during the camps. This will also allow for better absorption I believe...smaller %carbs per sip, with more frequent sips throughout training, camps and games.

I also like the addition of small amounts of sea salt, MassiveG, but have not located any at this point. Anyone have any insight on a good place to buy and amounts?

Thank you for all your info guys!

If anyone is interested, here's what I ordered from TP:

Waxy Maize 35%
Malto 15%
Dex 15%
Fructose 10%
BCAA 15%
l-glut 10%
Electrolytes

I also ordered a gallon of glycerol and will try this sparingly to start and see how the kids respond. I think, initially, I will try this alone without gatorade, then work it in and see of they provide adequate feedback. We are getting some warmer/humid weather, so this will be a good test.

If anyone has any input, I would welcome any suggestions!

Do you have a decent budget?

I hope you aren't having to foot the bill?

Anyways, wish my H.S. football coach was on the ball and educated like you are!!

Good luck!

Keep yourself safe.

One thought that came to my mind is your liability. I would be scared something might go wrong with one of the kids and then youre staring at a law suit. Probably a long shot, but I would be sure to get it cleared with all of the parents and your school principal before you do a thing. Ask the principal what you should do. Wonder if you might want signed permission slips. I may be paranoid, but I used to teach and the dept of education at my college always stressed the legal troubles you can get into while teaching kids.

Agree with Maldorf.

You could get in some serious trouble if something was to go wrong.

And if you ask to do something like that there going to tell you no.

All very good points and am already there. I typed up a letter a few weeks ago to provide intent with a list of possible ingredients. Since then I have come up with this solution/mixture and printed off TP's website a page for each ingredient. With these pages, I have included another letter outlining how the mixture will be utilized during training/camps/games, our philosophy for the team and a signiture line for the parent/gaurdian. I have scheduled a meeting for all parents to come learn about this, talk to the kids about eating properly and taking responsibility for their eating habits/going to the store and buying groceries to help their parents, and for any parent to decline/ask questions. I agree, I don't want any trouble and am only trying to get a higher level of performance, so I want it all out in the open with ample opportunity to decline. Many parents are very enthused, and have made remarks such as all of yours here...they wished they had this opportunity at a younger age.

The head coach is on board, however, he has no idea about nutrition. Last night he brought me in his office and wants to make me the strength/conditioning coach. Not sure about this, as I don't want to step on any toes...this is my first year coaching...we'll see.

Thank you for all your help! Any suggestions on the actual mixture?

Emery, yes I buying all the ingredients and training devices/bands for medial glute strength. I may be reimbursed, if not may be a tax write off?

Quadsmack - thank you for the EnduroxR4...that's exactly what I was looking for and modeled this mixture after that product! Awesome!

Last edited:
When in HS I used good old gatorade and usually some bcaa caps with it for a little extra.

I'm thinking a combination of Gatorade and /LBA would be good if I had to choose, and probalby be most cost effective. If I were in HS now I buy a bunch of lemon lime 32 0z gatorades at Walmart for $1 each and mix few servings of Lime-aid LBA in one and bring it with me to practice/game, but like others said liability.

Coaches I remember only supplied Gatorade and each athelete woudl always buy own supplements.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke