over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High School PE

TheGeneral

Registered
I'm a high school PE teacher and have been given access to the school weight room twice a week. Obviously, I want to focus more on weight training, flexibility, cardio etc..over team sports. Any ideas what to do with about 40 freshman boys in a small/medium sized weight room?

in footballl we would get 2 person to a station. Coach blew the whistle every 30 seconds. After you did the machine or whatever for 3 sets you would move to the next station.

Circuit training kinda...full body 3x a week.

Keep Jerry Sandusky faaaaaaar away

If you have the equpiment, just stick to basic SS material for high schoolers in PE. Bench, squat, dead lifts and rows. That 2-3 times a week and they should be good

Circuit training. 10 stations. Set up one weight that they can all safely do. Do 30 second rotations by your whistle. Teach them to use perfect form for each station, and keep doing reps until you blow your whistle. Groups of 4 so each student is lifting for 30 seconds with a 90 second break in between sets. Make sure the 3 students who are not doing their set for each group are giving positive reinforcement to each member of the group while performing their set. Make sure they know that safety comes first and teach them how to properly spot for safety. That's a total of 2 minutes per station for 10 station, or 20 minutes for the full circuit. Go through the full circuit twice.

This is what I did when teaching weight training to middle school students. It will work great for high school freshman as well. Let them free lift if there is any time left over in the period.

Circuit training. 10 stations. Set up one weight that they can all safely do. Do 30 second rotations by your whistle. Teach them to use perfect form for each station, and keep doing reps until you blow your whistle. Groups of 4 so each student is lifting for 30 seconds with a 90 second break in between sets. Make sure the 3 students who are not doing their set for each group are giving positive reinforcement to each member of the group while performing their set. Make sure they know that safety comes first and teach them how to properly spot for safety. That's a total of 2 minutes per station for 10 station, or 20 minutes for the full circuit. Go through the full circuit twice.

This is what I did when teaching weight training to middle school students. It will work great for high school freshman as well. Let them free lift if there is any time left over in the period.

From what I remember, that is similar to what I did as a freshman in HS.

In high school we did a circuit as well. Now that I look back on it the guy basically had us doing crossfit type of stuff. Oly lifts, plyometrics, medicine ball stuff, and the usual bench, chins, squats etc. A few machines and once and a while he'd just let us have a day to do what we want. His class probably set the groundwork for my lifting.

Thanks, my plan was to do some sort of circuit but wasnt sure how to go about it safely with 40 kids. The 30 second rounds is a good idea--thanks. I'm also going to incorporate agility, stretching etc..I hate seeing old school high school pe teachers. They are just coach's who happen to 'teach' pe. They roll a ball out and say go while they sit at their laptop and worry about the sport they coach. I do not coach anything anymore and I really want my role as a pe/health teacher to be basically a personal trainer to the school as a whole. I bring the kids in the classroom twice a week and harp on nutrition and other wellness tools. Any and all ideas are helpful as I'm really trying to make a difference in the PE program at my district.

when I was high school we did circuit style training but it seemed no one wanted to push themselves...was another story when it was heavy compounds and oly lifts...always seemed to turn into a competition and everyone seemed to try harder.

Plyo

Plyometrics! Freshmen boys are going be pretty evenly mixed between the pre and post- pubescent stages. So some will lack the neccessary hormone levels for growth and strength increases. Plyo covers all the basics, strength, flexibility, muscular endurance, cardio, etc. it will also help those who have already developed with coordination, balance, and proprioception.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear