over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Higher Glucose Lower Insulin levels

buck

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
As my fasted glucose levels have been trending up the last couple years even though i use metformin at 1000mg/day. The last test showed fasted

glucose of 96 range(70-99)
Insulin 3.9 (2.6-24.9)
A1c 5.2 (4.8-5.6)

While my diet is not perfect people such as my Dr.s and friends etc. tell me it is far healthier then most. If i eat a lot of carbs in the evening it will be over the range up to 15 points in the morning. But that is not even a weekly thing for me. Moderate aerobics at least 5-6 days a week, weights 5+ days a week.
Just wondering on ways to get the glucose number lower without adding more metformin. Although i am open to that.

What's your postprandial at about 2:30/2:45? I bet it's optimal with the insulin and A1c you listed above.

Is your liver stressed in any way? Orals or drinking?

That will hamper your ability to metabolize carbs AND fats “properly / efficiently” thereby increasing BG levels.

Maybe get a fasted insulin test that is glucose-challenged or you can get a HOMA-IR (still inferior) to better-assess hyperglycemia concerns using superior methods.

Ps. Inflammatory “crap” foods (especially PUFA’s from seed oils) can stress the liver enough to confer insulin resistance via all of the inflammation pathways (prostaglandins, etc)

If you don’t want to increase your metformin, consider timing it more strategically around your carb meals or adding Berberine during (pre) the carb meals … or even going for a brisk 10-15min walk post-meal (there are fascinating studies that show it rivals metformin results).

^Ps. Even something like having your carbs post-workout thus leveraging your Glut4 receptor mediated response would lead to improved FBG and insulin levels. When it comes to carbs, for those that struggle in this area, timing is key.

I have never used berberine. Does it work? I have read that it is multifaceted in what all it can help with, the one that interests me the most is the anti-inflammatory effects. Any experience there?

What's your postprandial at about 2:30/2:45? I bet it's optimal with the insulin and A1c you listed above.
Depending on my carb intake it can be 115-130
Is your liver stressed in any way? Orals or drinking?

That will hamper your ability to metabolize carbs AND fats “properly / efficiently” thereby increasing BG levels.

Maybe get a fasted insulin test that is glucose-challenged or you can get a HOMA-IR (still inferior) to better-assess hyperglycemia concerns using superior methods.

Ps. Inflammatory “crap” foods (especially PUFA’s from seed oils) can stress the liver enough to confer insulin resistance via all of the inflammation pathways (prostaglandins, etc)

If you don’t want to increase your metformin, consider timing it more strategically around your carb meals or adding Berberine during (pre) the carb meals … or even going for a brisk 10-15min walk post-meal (there are fascinating studies that show it rivals metformin results).
Never really did orals as i didn't want the side effects. As for alcohol 1-2 5 oz glasses 4-5 days a week. Gave up seed oil over 30 years ago. And the most crap food i eat for the most part would be 2 pieces of whole grain bread(as it is processed) but not every day. I have never ate processed food on a regular basis. Got interested in eating healthy in my teens. And now in my 60's. I have tried berberine in the past and got zero response from it. I have no problem with taking more metformin, just prefer to not keep upping my drug cocktails more then i need to. I have seen some studies on the post meal walk. Stan Efferding preaches that. But as i remember the study he likes to use was done with sedentary people so most anything would show improvement. I walk an hour a day or more plus some HIT-ish type cardio on occasion. My biggest carb meal has always been post workout but usually about 2 hours later as i have a protein drink and small piece of fruit after i train. A big carb meal for me is in the 100 grams of carb range.

How much test are you on? Someone has mentioned it here not too long ago that there is the possibility of developing insulin resistance from long term high test levels.

I was getting high readings had me worried I cut carbs, lost a few lbs, started metformin only to find my a1c is low out of range. Not sure if that's good or bad? But I definitely learned that glucose readings can be misleading. Looks like your a1c is in range maybe others have more knowledge but I think that's more important?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws