over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hip Belt Squats

Shark22

Registered
I just posted on my use of hip belt squats. They are awesome and I just bought Ironmind's Hip Belt with a standard loading pin and an olympic loading pin. I was just wondering what others might be experiencing with these type of squats and how you are setting up. I've been tying plates together and using a dip belt but the weight is climbing and so I have to go to something more stable and reliable. I have two metal super stools that I use to climb up on and squat..very stable. I really get an awesome quad ham and glute workout from these. The stance is a bit wider and the squat is deep. Anyone have any experience with hip belt squats?

Hip belt squats are a savior...
I have fairly serious back issue and these allow me to squat..
I started with a belt and DB's until I found an old single column with low pulley.
I added a plate holder and had a stand welded to support my big ass..
Not perfect but I fuckin love these, they feel good on back (decompression) and I feel like i am actually doing something..
Look up Pitshark it may spur the creative juices...
Its not a typical belt squat platform the but the idea for his short version can be done at home with some creative thinking...

Hip belt squats are a savior...
I have fairly serious back issue and these allow me to squat..
I started with a belt and DB's until I found an old single column with low pulley.
I added a plate holder and had a stand welded to support my big ass..
Not perfect but I fuckin love these, they feel good on back (decompression) and I feel like i am actually doing something..
Look up Pitshark it may spur the creative juices...
Its not a typical belt squat platform the but the idea for his short version can be done at home with some creative thinking...

Pitshark nice piece of equipment....really getting into these hip belt squats!

Rogue has one but its mad money.

You might give these a shot, as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCF0WDnFPg]Lap Squat Muscle Round - YouTube[/ame]

-S

That guy has some big legs

I hear there is a knock off version out threre roughly half the price..:rolleyes:
*In reference to simpllyhuge comment above

Sent from my Galaxy Siii Taptalk2

Last edited:
I took Beat2death's advice and tried these. I have osteoarthritis and three herniated disks in my lumbar with stenosis to boots. This exercise provides traction and better yet no pain. It's difficult with the dip belt I use, it pinches the shit out of my skin if I'm not careful but I can finally work legs. Just have a hard time getting enough weight attached. But I am going to failure with the weight I use and that's new!

That guy has some big legs

He owes that ENTIRELY to that exercise... LOL :)

Killer man :headbang: curious about that set on the bar.

Well, I can't quite tell what you're asking here, but...

It was 405lb, I think.

That was a Muscle Round, a kind of discontinuous set I borrowed (and then refined a smidge) from Leo Costa (Titan Training). It's part of a training system I'm developing.

There's a pad on the bar (just one of those regular squat bar pads - bar tampons I call 'em) to keep the bar and especially the carabiners from digging in on the thighs. You'll want to be careful how you hook the carabiners (go from underneath with the opening on top of the bar, away from your skin, so you don't get pinched at the small gap where the arm of the carabiner closes).

-S

I took Beat2death's advice and tried these. I have osteoarthritis and three herniated disks in my lumbar with stenosis to boots. This exercise provides traction and better yet no pain. It's difficult with the dip belt I use, it pinches the shit out of my skin if I'm not careful but I can finally work legs. Just have a hard time getting enough weight attached. But I am going to failure with the weight I use and that's new!

Ironmind and Westside both have belts that are worth every penny...
Made to last...

He owes that ENTIRELY to that exercise... LOL :)

Well, I can't quite tell what you're asking here, but...

It was 405lb, I think.

That was a Muscle Round, a kind of discontinuous set I borrowed (and then refined a smidge) from Leo Costa (Titan Training). It's part of a training system I'm developing.

There's a pad on the bar (just one of those regular squat bar pads - bar tampons I call 'em) to keep the bar and especially the carabiners from digging in on the thighs. You'll want to be careful how you hook the carabiners (go from underneath with the opening on top of the bar, away from your skin, so you don't get pinched at the small gap where the arm of the carabiner closes).

-S

Wrote that at 5am :p I meant. I was curious how he's setting that up using an Ironmind hip belt Are there any visuals showing how to set it up?

Wrote that at 5am :p I meant. I was curious how he's setting that up using an Ironmind hip belt Are there any visuals showing how to set it up?

LOL - All three of my guesses were wrong.

It's pretty easy once you ahve the belt in hand.

Belt should be a tight as possible (to hold bar as high on thighs as you can)

Clip hook to belt (there are loops), then under the bar. Place the pad between bar, carabiners and your thighs.

Lift and go.

(I'll try to shoot an instructional vid next time I do those. :) )

-S

How high is too high for the belt, where you start Incorporating your back?

How high is too high for the belt, where you start Incorporating your back?

That won't be a problem at all. The weight will pull the belt down even if you've tightened it up mid abdomen (like a corset or something). Cinch it up like a weight belt and you're good.

-S

Scott ^^^ knows his shit ive read all him and dante have to say on dc that belt looks like my banks gonna be missing more money

LOL - All three of my guesses were wrong.

It's pretty easy once you ahve the belt in hand.

Belt should be a tight as possible (to hold bar as high on thighs as you can)

Clip hook to belt (there are loops), then under the bar. Place the pad between bar, carabiners and your thighs.

Lift and go.

(I'll try to shoot an instructional vid next time I do those. :) )

-S

My hip belt will be here in 2 days and it's a good thing cause the hook on my dipping belt is opening up.

What I don't understand is how many carabiners are hooked to the bar. I thought there is one in the front and one in the back of the belt. Is the carabiner what's hooked to the bar ? What about the daisy chains are they used at all? I really want to try this :headbang:

Scott ^^^ knows his shit ive read all him and dante have to say on dc that belt looks like my banks gonna be missing more money

Thanks, man. :)

My hip belt will be here in 2 days and it's a good thing cause the hook on my dipping belt is opening up.

What I don't understand is how many carabiners are hooked to the bar. I thought there is one in the front and one in the back of the belt. Is the carabiner what's hooked to the bar ? What about the daisy chains are they used at all? I really want to try this :headbang:

Well, the thing you can do now is make sure you have the large carabiners - two of them. Those that came with my belt from ironmind do NOT fit around the bar. I'm using a pair I got with a set of ab strap "Hang-ups" which I use for some other exercises I've come up with.

Here's a pair that would work (just stealing the carabiners), I'm pretty sure. I have a pair like this that I've got in my RV, but its in the shop so I can't confirm. (99% sure. The one's I have on my hip squat belt have spring loaded clips, not a screwing nut to keep the carabiner closed.)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-VA4524BK-Ab-Straps/dp/B0007IS73W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365312481&sr=8-1&keywords=ab+straps"]Amazon.com: Valeo Ab Straps: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4124BNEJJJL.@@AMEPARAM@@4124BNEJJJL[/ame]

I've looked at climbing / outdoor shops for heavy duty carabiners that would fit around an Oly barbell and they're like $30 a piece. These (above) do the trick and, worse case scenario, if they were to snap, the bar would just roll down to the ground.

(I've gone up to ~500lb for the lap squats and similar weight to do a donkey calf raise without a problem (Same set up for calf raises as far as hooking he bar. Start with the bar resting on the safeties in a rack and then you just stand up with the bar while standing on a calf block, bend over a bit to give it clearance and do calf presses.)

--------

I don't use daisy chains for lap squats - they are too long unless you were to wrap them around the bar a shit load of times (only solution I came up with), but this would be a pain to warm-up with (wrapping and unwrapping between weight changes). So, the carabiners work great.

When you get the hip squat belt, you'll see two heavy duty fabric "loops" on the front where the nylon strap is looped to cinch the belt up. These loops are where you can hook the caribiners. It'll be pretty self evident.

Again, for lap squats, once you have your belt, you just need the right size, heavy duty carabiners. (Local sporting goods store might have some like the above.)

-S

I have the Spud hip belt with the Ironmind loading pin and they got me through some really tough times with my back. I do them exactly like this with the aerobic steppers (not my video though)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldcPTOACm4"]Hip Belt Squat - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Well I finally got my hands on two huge carabiners, they can hold 400lbs now I have to get the barbell pad. Dick's has one for $20 but I cant tell from their pic if it velcros to the bar or not. May not be important. So far my Ironmind hip belt is great! These squats really hit the quads and glutes.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws