over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hip Replacement Postponed

Pekkerwood

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was scheduled to have a total hip replacement on my left hip yesterday morning at 8:00. I had to get medical, dental, cardiologist, and periodontal, clearances. Failed to get clearance for a gum surgery I had six weeks ago because.:mad:

The doctor I had scheduled was what I feel to be the "best" in the city and has a five to six month backlog. While on "waiting list", I am now on the back of the bus because I am not taking pain killers (personal choice) etc. so others are more "severe".

It is dissapointing because I have "aimed" for this since May. Because of my previous heart failure I have a bit higher chance for problems. My cardiologist said I have between 5 and 10 percent chance of a heart attack on the table. My Hip Surgeon said around 5 percent. That is a huge difference. It does not sound like much when you say it but its 100% difference.

Anyway, because of this, its forced me to do a lot of things I have either put off or not done well. Updated wills, Living Wills, gathering account information on all bank accounts, investments, insurance policies, logins, safe deposit box keys, business continuation plans, blah, blah, blah. I'm convinced that this was worse than the surgery is going to be. I have had advanced warning. When I had my heart failure, I did not, and still I didn't take care of these issues properly.

My heart function has decreased over the last year about 10% unfortunately although I show no outward signs. I may try to have both hips done at the same time in case my heart deteriorates further before I recover from the first and can get the second one done. Even though I am bone on bone, the insurance company seems to want to see me eating the bottle of Vicodin I have on my desk prior to appoving me. I may just need to get me prescriptions filled and not take them, but I hate being deceptive.

If anyone asks, I am 49, and yes I believe walking the earth at 270+ lbs for many years added to my deterioation. Not caused....merely hastened it.

Pekkerwood

Damn brother that is not good. Stay strong and keep your head up. Youre a great guy, I hope things turn for the good soon. Keep us posted.

Also, it would be nice to hear more from you around here. Your posts are always a wealth of insight. Good luck!

I feel for ya bro! but like Ness said stay strong and keep your head up,i know how you feel with the bone on bone,i had a total hip 7.5 years ago and actually should have had it a year before i did,hang in there man.

Ahh PW! That's frustrating. Hang in there and do what you have to do to make what is best for you happen.

hip replacement

wondering about the cahnces of heart problems, did the doctor offor you the choice of an epidural? I had my hip replaced using the epidural, so i was awake for the entire thing, no memory of anything though.

Thanks All. I was just feeling a bit frustrated yesterday. I suppose the biggest takeaway from my whining would be to encourage people to take care of the items we neglect such as Wills, Living Wills, Business Succession Plans, Accounts, Passwords etc to make it easier on your survivors should something happen. Just getting some of those tough decisions out of the way was worth it.

J4ever: How has your hip replacemnt effected your training?

Mark1: The surgeon did not discuss that with me yet but I am certainly going to ask in my next pre-op meeting.

TheBrick: Thanks for the encouragement. I don't whine often in my life and I usually keep it to myself. Not so much yesterday!:)

Ness: Thanks for the kind words. I certainly appreciate this place and hope to add my part. I don't have the knowledge many guys have but experience does have its place.

I can't imagine having to deal with all that you have on your plate now!

You have the right to be a little frustrated. Trust me PW. I have learned through my own experience that sometimes you really have to aggressively take your own healthcare into your hands and make what is best happen. Dealing with the 'system' status quo has the potential to drive you crazy :banghead:

Life can be so profound at moments. Right now I'm having great financial difficulties due to work related issues. In my life it is a huge problem for me and the stress is nearly unbearable....Then I open this thread and see that you are once again forced to face your mortality regarding something that should, for the most part, be just a routine(yet major) procedure. Putting all of those documents together must be very sobering. I realize that my problems, as big as they are in my world, are nothing compared to the possible consequences you're facing with your surgery. I wish you the best!

Also, you have nothing to apologize about regarding your "whining"(You're not whining). With something of this magnitude, it's good to get those feelings "off your chest".

Thanks All. I was just feeling a bit frustrated yesterday. I suppose the biggest takeaway from my whining would be to encourage people to take care of the items we neglect such as Wills, Living Wills, Business Succession Plans, Accounts, Passwords etc to make it easier on your survivors should something happen. Just getting some of those tough decisions out of the way was worth it.

J4ever: How has your hip replacemnt effected your training?

Mark1: The surgeon did not discuss that with me yet but I am certainly going to ask in my next pre-op meeting.

TheBrick: Thanks for the encouragement. I don't whine often in my life and I usually keep it to myself. Not so much yesterday!:)

Ness: Thanks for the kind words. I certainly appreciate this place and hope to add my part. I don't have the knowledge many guys have but experience does have its place.

Hi,PW, well bro i tell you that i do not have the muscle on me that i once had but my goals have also changed at 45 yo, the effects on my training have been that i do not do any heavy leg presses,hack squats and squats,i do squats but very light and maybe once a month or so, with leg presses and sled hack squats i usually use a weight that i can get 10-12 reps and gives me a challenge the last 2 reps,also with deads i do not do anymore i could do them but would have to be with lite weight,i can pretty much work hams as intensly as i want but sometimes have to back the weight down on the SLDL,sometimes my hip joint and hip flexor get very tight and it takes alot of strecthing,to be honest it would be best not to do any leg presses,hacks or squats,the Doc wanted me to stick with cardio and leg extensions and leg curls,dont know how you were training before your problem but you will have to modify your training thru less weight and movements,i would discuss it with your Doc,sure i could go balls to the wall for a while but bro you dont want to be back on that OP table in 4 or 5 years for a revision,the advantage you will have over me is that this sounds like your first surgery and thats a good thing bro because my THR was actually my 4th surgery, i was in the military at the time and those stupid ass military docs fucked me up 2 times operating on me,not until i told them they was not going to lay another hand on me ( they were already planning a 3rd OP ) and went to find a civilian Doc that was on top of his game did i start doing well and did good for several years and got back to training hard but old authur ate at me then it was THR time,i did not walk for 2 years with those fucktard military Docs,i saw Oldfella posted in another thread that he lifts to his fullest potential now and does not compare himself to where he was years ago,i have had to adopt the same mind-set and it has not been easy,you might find yourself in the same position,man this probably done got to long for ya,good luck to ya bro!

Last edited:
Hey guys, what are the symptoms of hip problems like yours?

Both of my hips, feels like where the head of the femur sits in the acetabulum(ball and socket joint), have been very sore when squating. It got to be so bad that I couldnt squat just my own body weight. I took about 1 month off and then came back squating just the bar. i have slowled worked my way up to an astounding 165 lbs, but that still hurts a little bit! Its pathetic. Previous to this I had been doing 335 lbs for about 12 reps no problem and no pain. All of the sudden the pain in my hip joint started in. There didnt really seem to be any reason for it.

Of course I used to squat heavy before my heart attack. I had a heart attack while squating as a matter of fact and that night I was doing 455 for 12 reps. Maybe all those years of heavy squats wore my hip down? It seems like I cant do jack crap now without pain. When the pain was at its worst I could barely walk up the steps in my home.

Pekkerwood, I feel for you. I know how you feel. i have some gyno I would love to get removed but I fear the surgery and being put under. With my heart being so weak, less than 20% EF and having a defibrillator, I probably stand a much higher chance of having problems than you do. Im pretty sure I would have trouble finding a doc willing to do it too since gyno surgery is not necessary but just cosmetic.

Your surgery though is essential and I hope you get it down, both at the same time sounds smart to me. Keep us informed with how it goes.

Thanks for the insight J4Ever. Haven't really been able to work legs for a while now. Hope to start back, albeit, lightly. Just want to avoid the "Riding a Chicken" look.

Maldorf:

I am going to ask about options for not being put to sleep. The risk factors are high. I probably would not opt for gyno surgery myself but my hip is a quality of life issue. Good Luck man and thanks for your help over the years.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member