over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Home gym equipment

mpjuice

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Does anybody here have the Bowflex home gym, if so how do you like it? I'm not sure how I feel about it being a progressive resistance machine (it's kind of like bands and they don't seem to add Mass). But if people have had a good experience with the Bowflex it might be nice to have something that's a little different than the equipment at the gym.

Or does anybody know of another home gym that has a lot of workouts like lat pulldown cable curl, chest press/fly, in the $500-1500 range? Leg workouts with a added plus I've been doing walking barbell lunges on my street, squats and leg extension and ham curl. However, because the way the equipment I have is designed/build I don't like the way the resistance comes on

I currently have a barbell and bench that also hamstring curl, leg extension and the preacher curl pad; I also have dumbbells

You can ask @danieltx about the Bowflex, it seems to be working really well for him:

Personally, I have a Titan T-6 power rack down in the basement, and a strongman yoke and sled and other strongman implements out in the back yard, and a membership at a great gym down the street, so those give me all I need.

I purchased a Bowflex Blaze the end of March after seeing how much Brad Rowe liked his.

I had been dieting for about 4 weeks than and continued dieting for another 8, training only on my Bowflex. Came in at 220lbs. / 6% on a a Dexa scan, 18lbs. up over last year. So while a Bowflex might not help advanced guys add much more mass, it will definitely help you retain it on a cut.

I can replicate everything I do in the gym on it, even rack deadlifts and Hack squats. It also has a sliding seat for leg press functionality. I also got the extra weights to add another 200lbs. of resistance to it.

I highly recommend it if gyms aren't available in your area. I paid $1,000 for mine on Amazon.

I purchased a Bowflex Blaze the end of March after seeing how much Brad Rowe liked his.

I had been dieting for about 4 weeks than and continued dieting for another 8, training only on my Bowflex. Came in at 220lbs. / 6% on a a Dexa scan, 18lbs. up over last year. So while a Bowflex might not help advanced guys add much more mass, it will definitely help you retain it on a cut.

I can replicate everything I do in the gym on it, even rack deadlifts and Hack squats. It also has a sliding seat for leg press functionality. I also got the extra weights to add another 200lbs. of resistance to it.

I highly recommend it if gyms aren't available in your area. I paid $1,000 for mine on Amazon.
You look great! Amazing progress on a Bowflex

I found a used Bowflex revolution (looks promising because the resistance is linear). I didn't know they even have leg press.

You guys have me curious about the Bowflex now. Going to have to look into it.
I'm liking it,

However, I'm happy I have a bence and barbell/dumbbells. With the revolution the Weight is still a little lighter at the bottom of the motion.

I have used a lot of combination home gyms and the last one I purchased was actually a Bowflex for $4-5k back in 2011. IDK how much the equipment has changed over the years?
I personally think they can only lock in a couple exercises that really feel clean and correct while the rest of their motions either feel like I don't hit certain muscle groups properly or the motions are too loose, too rigid or even worse just flimsy feeling.
I know that working out at home usually either has money restrictions and or general sqft workout area restrictions.

After purchasing many different at home systems I sold everything I had for whatever I could get and bought a used combination rack system and then I pieced in other used gym exercise equipment where I could fit it. First I made sure I had all the main exercise motions covered and then if there was any room from that point I worked from there. I found most of the equipment over the years from either used gym's that where going out of business or just from the classified ads.
When all said and done I spent a bit less than what the Bowflex had cost me and I was able to get way better workouts than I ever had before at home.

Right now there should be used gym equipment being sold across the country because of businesses closing and or people needing money due to the virus pandemic so there should be good deals all around I would imagine, just need to buy up the equipment before another exercise starved gym rat scoops it up.

Hey best of luck on your Bowfllex. It does feel very different that free weights or even most pulley cable machines, but it is a great investment.

Id also add a nice squat rack and some dumbbells eventually just for the sake of having them.

The BowFlex "ratch-tek" dumbbells are great. I may have butchered the name, but they are worth every overpriced penny if they go up to 100lbs each. Thats on space saving alone. The thought of having all in one dumbs was perfected.

With the spike in equipment sales I hope we get new innovative products unlike the Shake Weight. BowFlex is ahead of its time in most things though.

Not a bad long term stock investment as well if holding for at least 8-10

You guys have me curious about the Bowflex now. Going to have to look into it.

You have me curious about the early days when I used you back around 2001-20005 a ton. Im going to send you an email sir.

I seriously looked at rebuilding my home gym of years ago but many items were out
of stock at the time and my gym has since partially reopened. I wanted to get: 350lb
Olympic weight set and Olympic bd's, fat bars (poor quality), an adjustable bench,
but most importantly, to make this one cohesive 'package' I wanted to get another
Safe-t-Gym (sp) which was made by a high school machine shop teacher. Most here
have never heard or seen one of these 'weight stations' for lack of a better work. I
had the best, most result producing periods of my life using one of these..

Because of the local fires that have ravaged where I live and sent thousands fleeing for
there lives, again:

I moved most of my bodybuilding archive into storage at my Mom's house where it
is more accessible. I will look through some of my old (70's?) Iron Man magazines
and find some ads for this. Should be fun to take a trip back along memory lane.
I will scan and post up so you can see what I am talking about.

PS. Surprisingly enough, I managed to find the man that was commercially building
weight lifting equipment at that time, still living in the same place, only seven miles
from where I live now and is willing will to build me another, 45 years later, if I want
one. At this point in time I'm going to hold off on this huge outlay of cash, largely
because I have to place to put. Maybe at the next house . . .

I seriously looked at rebuilding my home gym of years ago but many items were out
of stock at the time and my gym has since partially reopened. I wanted to get: 350lb
Olympic weight set and Olympic bd's, fat bars (poor quality), an adjustable bench,
but most importantly, to make this one cohesive 'package' I wanted to get another
Safe-t-Gym (sp) which was made by a high school machine shop teacher. Most here
have never heard or seen one of these 'weight stations' for lack of a better work. I
had the best, most result producing periods of my life using one of these..

Because of the local fires that have ravaged where I live and sent thousands fleeing for
there lives, again:

I moved most of my bodybuilding archive into storage at my Mom's house where it
is more accessible. I will look through some of my old (70's?) Iron Man magazines
and find some ads for this. Should be fun to take a trip back along memory lane.
I will scan and post up so you can see what I am talking about.

PS. Surprisingly enough, I managed to find the man that was commercially building
weight lifting equipment at that time, still living in the same place, only seven miles
from where I live now and is willing will to build me another, 45 years later, if I want
one. At this point in time I'm going to hold off on this huge outlay of cash, largely
because I have to place to put. Maybe at the next house . . .
How much does he want for one?

I just got my hands on some of my old, 70's Iron Man Magazines and found the ad in
the back of the magazine for the original Saf-T-Gym. You can read the details and see
the prices. And I bought all the accessories pictured except the T-bar rows.

This 'machine' moved with me many times; from home to the football coaches back yard,
to a friends garage (made my best progress there, never duplicated), back to my parents
back yard to who knows where.

Rick Adams who built the machine (lived 7 miles away) also built be a leg ext / leg curl
machine to my specifications. It had a huge flat bench so I could do leg extensions
lying flat on my back (the best position) or upright, and you could do hypers off the back
with a strap over your ankles of have my partner sit across my ankles.

He also built me bullet proof adjustable incline bench, a hack squat / calf raise machine.
Sadly, I don't have fotos of them.

I also had a York 320 lb.(?) Olympic set and various, costume built (I was a journeyman machinist)
fat bar and square bar dumbbell, fat bar for curl's, dead lifts and presses, literally any movement
you would normally do with a regular bar. Then I built a biceps supination and pronation machine
for working my biceps and forearms. I wrote extensively and posted my forearm routine here . . .
use the search engine to find it. Very interesting in my humble opinion. My goal at the time
(I was rock climbing and weight training during all my free time, eventuality climbing literally
all over the world) was to to do a a 1 arm pull up, which I did, and them a pinch grip pull up
on a 2 x 4, pinching the 2" part . . . never could do one.

Most people, including PT's and MD's don't know this but the primary function of the biceps
is supination. The second function is a curl movement. The third function of the biceps is
raising the supinated and contracted biceps upwards where the elbow is near vertical, near
your ear. This is the only way you can achieve a true and complete contraction of the biceps.

Another this most people don't know is the the only way to reach full contraction of the triceps
muscles is to have you arm behind mid line of of the torso. A machine was built for this purpose
put is was not not used properly so it was removed from the market. I have an ad for it
if anybody is interested. I also personally photographed in Florida (but did not print) one of
the few remaining machines in existence.

The old magazines that I still have (I sold many of them through my mail order business at
the time) have lots of ads for contests I went to, equipment I owned, and historical information.
I remember writing Perry Radar who owned Iron Man Magazine at the time and asked him to
send me 1 copy of every Iron Man Magazine he had. I got a box full of them including a first
edition. Later, Perry and Mable, his wife, got tired of running the magazine so they offered it
to Arthur Jones (I have the letter), Arthur declined.

Could go on and on and on but don't want to bore everybody. Hit me up if you want to see more.
I grabbed a handful of magazines, not all, but a good enough selection to keep some people
occupied.

Attachments

• saf-t-gym.jpg
    saf-t-gym.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 43
Elitefts bands. PVC pipe and chains for handles. PVC pipe pull up bar hanging from backyard porch. 4x4 and 2x4 with hook and chain for grip work using 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks from backyard for weight. PVC pipe with rope and clip for wrist roller.

Home gym for under 100bucks lol. Joking aside while having to get a lil creative im getting in awesome workouts recently. Not as good as the gym but will certainly hold me over for a while

Elitefts bands. PVC pipe and chains for handles. PVC pipe pull up bar hanging from backyard porch. 4x4 and 2x4 with hook and chain for grip work using 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks from backyard for weight. PVC pipe with rope and clip for wrist roller.

Home gym for under 100bucks lol. Joking aside while having to get a lil creative im getting in awesome workouts recently. Not as good as the gym but will certainly hold me over for a while
I’d love to see your DIY rig if you’re at liberty to post pics.

I’d love to see your DIY rig if you’re at liberty to post pics.

Yea sure. Ill take some pics of the simple equipment i made but basically its just 4 different elitefits bands, two handles with a chain looped through it and a clip on the end. A straight bar handle with an eye hook. Two cam buckles insteads of TRX bands. I use my metal gate going to my backyard as the post for my bands so i can adjust for different heights. Ill see if i have a few quarantine pics laying around lol.

Yea sure. Ill take some pics of the simple equipment i made but basically its just 4 different elitefits bands, two handles with a chain looped through it and a clip on the end. A straight bar handle with an eye hook. Two cam buckles insteads of TRX bands. I use my metal gate going to my backyard as the post for my bands so i can adjust for different heights. Ill see if i have a few quarantine pics laying around lol.
cambuckle.jpg

Pic from last month. Old version of handles in the background when i used rope for them but now i use chains running through them. I have cambuckles from home depot that i got for like 8 bucks instead of TRX bands attached to a hook in the rafter in my backyard where i also attach my pullup bar. cambuckles are great for rows and a few other things. I had to use an 80 inch PVC pipe pullup bar so the hooks could be spaced apart for the womans hanging plants when gyms open up again lol. Since it was so long it bends in middle even though its 1.75inch so i have a rope i tie in the middle to prevent the sag. Not all that exciting but gotta get creative during quarantine.

For legs i use a 2x4 to put under my heal and grab the elitefts bands and do one leg lunges or front squat the bands. I can do one leg curls using my gate and sitting in a chair.

The gold stepping stool is because i need to stand on it to reach the pullup bar lol Its bright gold because im pretty sure my wife got it from the neighbors when they were throwing it out lol

Ive been making gains with arms shoulders and upper back. Limited with chest but i can maintain. Wont be great for you huge guys but im only 205lbs at the moment so its fine for me.

I know this thread isnt about creative home gym equipment during quarantine so i wont derail this thread with anymore of my weekend homedepot gym projects lol

"Not sure if this is the doctor, or hospital security"- Every patient who comes in for joint pain

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws