over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Home School?

method2madness

Registered
I'm a teacher in the public schools in my state and I have seen the quality of curriculum steadily and noticeably decline over the last 15 years. I have so many philosophical and ethical differences with the mainstream education system as it stands today. Because of this and some changes that are likely to happen in my state in the next 6-10 months my wife and I are strongly considering homeschooling both my boys. Anyone out there home school there kids? If so I'd love some feedback, opinions, etc.. PM me if your thoughts would violate open board rules. Peace and thanks :cool:

good thinking! As long as you have some kind of community for your boys to be in (church, sports, friends with kids similar age, family with kids similar age) I think its a good idea.

Its also my dream for my boy. Our vision is a home school setup where he and 1-2 other kids are with us 1-2 days during the week and then with 1-2 other parents at their homes 1-2 days a week. That way they have a community and peers but we can more directly control what they are being fed....that's a big IF it can all work out, I hope it does!

I work for myself and my partner does not work so on our end we're all setup to have kids in school for a couple days a week. Easy.

Public schools have become so bad since we were kids....they weren't GREAT then either to be honest!

we have our daughter in a Christian private school. i think the social aspects of school are important. but my daughter does NOT belong in public school. my step daughter is in public school and it suits her well but my daughter is too sensitive. it would be really hard for her so we did private school. my niece goes to a SMALL little private "school" so small they meet in a church. she loves it.
-F2S

Look into charter schools. That`s where my kids go. They must meet minimum standard federal guidelines and they do get state aid but we are asked to pay $1500/kid per year. They go way above and are learning latin if 4th grade, chess club, reading the classics... Def. no stories about 2 daddy penguins being read to 1st graders. (Yes that has happened in CA)

**EDIT**

Homeschooling I think might work in grade school but after that youre going to be more challenged. There are courses offered over the internet for students at home now I think. I dont know how good those are though. A boy across the street was home schooled and ended up failing out of college. My one daughter has a friend that switched to home schooling her sophomore year in high school and is already thinking she might go back to school. Its hard to match an education at a good school.

Last edited by a moderator:
My kids go public schools but I have multiple friends from church that home school and have seen children from kindergarten through high school from these settings. The big fear is usually the socializing, but we have home school co ops that do field trips, even prom and high school graduation. And with sports or other activities kids will be around others, but there is the chance that even though they will be around other kids the diversity may be limited. Each has its own plus and minus. Both of my pastors have done home and private schools with their kids, some does depend on the child. Nothing says you are locked in for years, nothing wrong with trying it out. My kids school system is not overly liberal in fact some would call it almost conservative. I have not had any problems yet with the world view being taught, although I do keep watch over what their actions and speech say about certain things. But they are only in kindergarten haha!

Guys this went wrong quick. There's no discussion allowed here about politics, sexual identity etc. It's always the same people who keep breaking the rules and they've been here long enough to know better. Temp and Perm bans are coming if you guys aren't smart enough to follow the rules!!

With you being a teacher already I think you would do great at home schooling them. The balance is keeping them in sports & other types of social activities. The home school kids I have been around somewhat lacked the social aspect of life. They were kinda odd.

If you commit to homeschooling, your boys need to know that learning is not optional (PERHAPS like other things in their life like slacking on chores, for example). But with the right kids, homeschooling could be awesome. Have you ever watched any of the national spelling or geography bees? They're dominated by homeschool kids. I know a few homeschool kids (some entering adulthood), and they're all very normal, well adjusted individuals.

There are also "co-ops" where several home-schooling parents break up the curriculum with one teaching 1-2 subjects, another teaching a different subject, etc. Kinda like a hybrid school/homeschool ;-)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131