over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hook a Car Sub to House Receiver?

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil
Staff member
Administrator
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have an extra 12" Kicker cvr (4-ohm) and want to hook it up to a home receiver for use in the weight room...As I just found out from the receiver I bought that the home receivers are 8-ohm and can't handle the subwoofer.

Without having to get all into the bullshit of having to wire in multiple receivers and splicing wires to make shit work...Is there a home receiver out there that supports a 4-ohm car sub?!

I have been searching on google all morning and all I see are videos and forum posts from people that wire in all there own shit...Seems too much of a pain and/or complicated for me lol...There has to be a receiver out there that can handle the sub?!

Thinking back to b freshman electronics class, my .02. There are resistors made specifically to make a 4-ohm speaker appear as an 8 ohm speaker to your receiver, The byproduct is heat. Many 8ohm receivers can handle 4ohm speakers at low- moderate volume.

if im not mistakin....

you CAN push less resistance easier...meaning

8 pushing 4 will work....but not the other way around.

either way i have a 50/50 chance at one of those
being the right answer...lmaoo

if im not mistakin....

you CAN push less resistance easier...meaning

8 pushing 4 will work....but not the other way around.

either way i have a 50/50 chance at one of those
being the right answer...lmaoo

Less resistance means more amperage which will burn up (heat) the receiver. You can drive a 4-ohm speaker from an 8-ohm amp/receiver but at higher volumes (it's a gym so I'm assuming he's blasting this shit) you will heat up your amp/receiver.

Wire another 4-ohm speaker in series, then you'll have an 8-ohm load.

See below how to wire them in series to get 8-ohm load for your 8-ohm receiver. It's not all that difficult wiring.

2_Single_4_Ohm_VC.jpg

The main issue as I see it isn't really your impedance issue, it's the fact that a normal home receiver doesn't have any kind of low-pass crossover built into it's outputs.

So essentially you'll be sending full range sound to a speaker that's designed to be used from like 0 to maybe 50 hz. Which at best is going to sound badly.

My suggestion would be to acquire a mono sub amp from one of the speaker builder websites (been a long time but form memory there was one called parts express, I believe monoprice might have them as well).

They're usually a lot cheaper than a good receiver, and are designed to amplify subs, so they'll have a built in crossover that will only output the frequencies you need.

So you'd wire the sub to that, then use your receivers sub output (should be RCA) to the amp.

Hope that helps\makes sense. Good luck bro.

Is the Kicker a dual voice coil sub? If so, wire it in series, but even then you're gonna need a crossover and enough power to get air moving which means a pro-audio amp i.e. a DJ amp.

No home reciever is going to push enough wattage to make it sound good and you'll just end up frying the voice coil with signal clipping if you turn it up loud and it's underpowered.

I'd sell the Kicker on Craigslist and put the cash toward this badboy.

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/200611268141?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT]H100 BIC Acoustech H 100 12" 500 Watt Subwoofer New 729305002877 | eBay[/ame]

It will dance circles around the Kicker sub and has the power to blow your damned windows out!

Last edited:
Just save yourself the trouble and get one of these, that's what I have at home and it works great for what I need.

Harman Kardon Onyx Studio

I can attest to that Rambo. We have a Studio 2 and I'm constantly amazed at the sound that little sucker puts out.

Since they released the new one the price on the two has dropped a ton too. Picked one up to give as a gift on Amazon for like $125 or so.

Got this Pyle Pro Setup for under $500....JAMS !!!

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 71
Upgrading these Legacy signature 3's for A pair of there Focus SE for my winter hobby.
Steriods, sex and Rock n Roll !!!

The 80" TV makes them look Small..

Attachments

• IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 142
I can attest to that Rambo. We have a Studio 2 and I'm constantly amazed at the sound that little sucker puts out.

Since they released the new one the price on the two has dropped a ton too. Picked one up to give as a gift on Amazon for like $125 or so.
I picked mine up off of Woot for $100 [emoji4]

I have an extra 12" Kicker cvr (4-ohm) and want to hook it up to a home receiver for use in the weight room...As I just found out from the receiver I bought that the home receivers are 8-ohm and can't handle the subwoofer.

Without having to get all into the bullshit of having to wire in multiple receivers and splicing wires to make shit work...Is there a home receiver out there that supports a 4-ohm car sub?!

I have been searching on google all morning and all I see are videos and forum posts from people that wire in all there own shit...Seems too much of a pain and/or complicated for me lol...There has to be a receiver out there that can handle the sub?!

as someone mentioned earlier, you will not find a receiver that will work because it will not send power to the sub. you need an amp to push the air, otherwise you will just fry the voicecoil and get no "bumps" which is what you are looking for

you need a powered 8 ohm sub or you need to power the sub you have and use the rca chords from the amp to your receiver

here is an example
any receiver with rca output-these do not send power, just signal

sub (the one you own) 4hom
amp (one that works for your sub)
power supply- car battery-or-
car battery charger-this works well, just plugs into the wall

wire amp to sub: red -red black- back or + to + - to - etc whatever wires you use
wire amp to battery charger- 12v power - 12v constant and switch to positive,
and ground-ground (black)

plug rca's in amp (red white)
use speaker outputs on reciever for other wired speakers for highs and mids

and

bumps in the gym

as someone mentioned earlier, you will not find a receiver that will work because it will not send power to the sub. you need an amp to push the air, otherwise you will just fry the voicecoil and get no "bumps" which is what you are looking for

you need a powered 8 ohm sub or you need to power the sub you have and use the rca chords from the amp to your receiver

here is an example
any receiver with rca output-these do not send power, just signal

sub (the one you own) 4hom
amp (one that works for your sub)
power supply- car battery-or-
car battery charger-this works well, just plugs into the wall

wire amp to sub: red -red black- back or + to + - to - etc whatever wires you use
wire amp to battery charger- 12v power - 12v constant and switch to positive,
and ground-ground (black)

plug rca's in amp (red white)
use speaker outputs on reciever for other wired speakers for highs and mids

and

bumps in the gym
Some home theatre receivers have powered sub-outs but I agree the only problem is you'll end up underpowering the sub and then when you're jamming, sizzle sizzle! there goes your sub and with no crossover this will happen very quickly.

Back in 2004 I used to have an entire car audio system I built for home audio use.

Dynaudio 3-way seperates speakers, Rainbow Audio Profi sub, Zapco competition amps and signal processors, Denon head unit, DLS power supply, XS battery. It was great but alot of components to make it work and didn't sound any better than comparable home audio gear.

The only practical way to go is to not use the car audio sub for home audio duty. More trouble than it's worth IMO. Been there done it and it can be very very nice but compared to getting a proper sub built for what you're trying to do not worth it.

Don't do it.

Car speakers are designed for closed environments and aren't that great for a room or an open space.

Even a cheap soundbar or the Onyx Studio thing posted above will sound better and last a lifetime.

You can also find a professional powered speaker on Craigslist for around 100-150 dollars. It will wipe the floor with mostly everything else mentioned here.

Thanks for the posts guys...Someone recommended I get the Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier (only $95 bucks).

Works perfect for hooking a car sub up to house receiver...So anyone looking to do the same thing in the future, look into the above!

You're still going to be underpowering the Kicker if it's the one I'm thinking it is.

Just don't crank the bass. The worst thing you can do to a speaker is underpower it and then blast it trying to get loud volume out of it.

You're better off having too much power that the driver will never see and having the headroom and sound quality that comes with it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131