over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How big are your arms?

beast405

Well-known member / Kilo Klub
Registered
I just measured my they are 18”. How big are your arms? And what is a pretty big arm size to you ?

I am 17.5" flexed but not pumped. As lean as arms can go - just on TRT and 210lbs. Now if I put on 60lbs on fat I could add a few more inches without any effort... I have been 18.5" before when I was holding 20lbs more fat, but I don't consider that to be my true arm size.

I am 17.5" flexed but not pumped. As lean as arms can go - just on TRT and 210lbs. Now if I put on 60lbs on fat I could add a few more inches without any effort... I have been 18.5" before when I was holding 20lbs more fat, but I don't consider that to be my true arm size.

There needs to be a baseline for comparison too...

If pumped - most people can add up to an inch. And for every 20lbs of fat, you add roughly an inch of arm size. Hell, I know a lot of old ladies that probably have 19" guns.. but they also have diabetes and an oxygen tank.

For someone that is very lean, and not holding any fat on their arms... I think anything over 16" looks good, and anything over 17" is very impressive.

Sergio Oliva had 20.5" arms and at the time had the biggest arms in the sport. Earlier era Reg Park, John Grimek and Steve Reeves were all around the 18" mark.

Sergio Oliva had massive arms and is reported to have the biggest verified arms at the time - 20.5" (not pumped). And this was pre-synthol era...

1662238283150.png

Steve Cook - two time Mr. Olympia top 10 finisher in mens physique has 16.5" arms in contest shape.

1662238564423.png

My arms are 21 inches. Back when my dad was younger he used to have 18 inch muscular arms in a non-trained state. He was known for having big arms. I got him into lifting weights with me one time years ago and his arms swelled up to 19 inches after about 3 months. He actually got a little stronger than me and I had been working out for years. I was shocked and somewhat confused as to how this could be. Later I realized it’s because he outweighed me and had a bigger frame than me. My dad didn’t stick with weight for long, but he’s glad I workout. He never took steroids. In fact, he drank a couple of scoops of my protein powder in some milk once and it gassed him up so bad he swore he’d never drink another one. 🤣

Mine are really big........:cool:

I just measured my they are 18”. How big are your arms? And what is a pretty big arm size to you ?
exactly my size but quickly will deflate to 17.5 min if I stop lifting 5'8"

Before I go on my usual rant (big arms - big lies) let us all be consistent in how we accurately measure our arms. Without this the measurements are worth than worthless, are misleading at best.

This is a ‘cold’ measurement. Zero arm work of any kind on that day prior to making this measurement. The day before is okay but not optimal. You will get a larger measurement if you are well hydrated and have a day of complete rest.

First. Your arms must be measured at the same time of the day, three days in a row.
Average these measurements. Mornings are best if you want the largest measurement(s) as your arms are the largest in the morning and diminish during the day.

Second. Cut a 2 foot length, about a 1 inch wide, strip of newspaper.

Third. Have a “sharpie’ handy with a fine black tip. You will use this to mark the strip of newspaper.

Forth. On the first flex at a right angle to the bone with your arm parallel to the ground, wrap the thin 1” wide piece of newspaper around your arm being sure to follow the contour of your arm at the largest part. Make a mark on the paper tape where it intersects the beginning of the tape.

Fifth. Take the length of paper and lay it on top of a steel rule. Measure the length from the end of the paper to mark you made you made on it to the nearest 1/16 of an inch.

This is the most accurate way to measure your arms. If somebody, anybody, has a better, more accurate way I am all ears.

And if your arms are filled with oil, all bets are off. This is not a true muscular measurement regardless of what you might believe, think or wish. Just be upfront, completely transparent, totally honest about this when bragging about how big your arm is.

Before I go on my usual rant (big arms - big lies) let us all be consistent in how we accurately measure our arms. Without this the measurements are worth than worthless, are misleading at best.

This is a ‘cold’ measurement. Zero arm work of any kind on that day prior to making this measurement. The day before is okay but not optimal. You will get a larger measurement if you are well hydrated and have a day of complete rest.

First. Your arms must be measured at the same time of the day, three days in a row.
Average these measurements. Mornings are best if you want the largest measurement(s) as your arms are the largest in the morning and diminish during the day.

Third. Have a “sharpie’ handy with a fine black tip. You will use this to mark the strip of newspaper.

Forth. On the first flex at a right angle to the bone with your arm parallel to the ground, wrap the thin 1” wide piece of newspaper around your arm being sure to follow the contour of your arm at the largest part. Make a mark on the paper tape where it intersects the beginning of the tape.

Fifth. Take the length of paper and lay it on top of a steel rule. Measure the length from the end of the paper to mark you made you made on it to the nearest 1/16 of an inch.

This is the most accurate way to measure your arms. If somebody, anybody, has a better, more accurate way I am all ears.

And if your arms are filled with oil, all bets are off. This is not a true muscular measurement regardless of what you might believe, think or wish. Just be upfront, completely transparent, totally honest about this when bragging about how big your arm is.
Why do this newspaper thing when measuring tape exists?

Sergio Oliva had massive arms and is reported to have the biggest verified arms at the time - 20.5" (not pumped). And this was pre-synthol era...

View attachment 163653
Terrible foto of Sergio. Does not due him justice. He was never better,by his own admission, then when he was trained by Arthur Jones while in Florida where this foto was taken. In this foto his arms are literally as big as his head. Granted he does have a small head, but still . . .

This foto was taken with a 200mm lens on a Leicaflex camera. (I know because I knew the photographer, and the camera and lens was given to me before she died.) This ‘long lens’ was used specifically to compress the background and to remove any distortion of the subject.

Attachments

• 39461E45-8B35-4C76-8881-3A9FB88CDB70.jpeg
    39461E45-8B35-4C76-8881-3A9FB88CDB70.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 22
Why do this newspaper thing when measuring tape exists?
Cloth measuring tapes are not very accurate and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and with age and usage, they can stretch and shrink. (I know this because I am / was a journeyman machinist where accuracy was my job. Not accurate, no job.)

And also because a newspaper is very thin and will give you the most accurate measurement.

Oh, I forgot to add this one very important detail . . . the paper tape must be discarded after each usage.

Measured them the first time in decades a couple moths ago 16.75" cold. 5"6" 200 lbs 62 years old. BF probably about 18% BF though. Wish i would have measured them when i was carrying 20 lb. more muscle. They were 12.75 back in 1977! And as a side note i was a journeyman machinist like alfresco so was used to measuring thing to within .0001 of an inch. The previous measurements did not have as tight of a tolerance . Nor was my tool certified!

I didn’t measure my arms doing all that lol. I just used the body part measuring tape. But I’m a little under 6ft. 236lbs. Arms were 18” cold flexed this morning. My arms have always lagged in my opinion. But I’m starting to them now with more direct work.

Mine aren't that big but they look quite big and I think they look pretty good because they are always lean so I couldn't care less how much they measure. I wouldn't mind some Ronnie Coleman peaks but I picked the wrong parents.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws