over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How Bodybuilding Teaches Lifting Is 100% Wrong

First, all I have at home is a rack and 2 sets of dumbbells so I spend a lot of time on bench squat DL and rows.

BUT, to say beginners need to start on these is idolatry plain and simple. You're perpetuating the "tried and true" without critical thinking IMO. Wyck is right, you need to learn to move and squeeze and control FIRST.
How many newbs have you seen doing these compound lifts HORRIBLY? So many people fuck up these lifts early on and wind up weeding themselves out of this game by injury or lack of progress. I agree with @danieltx on this one 100%

I think the main takeaway we can all agree on is that just training a muscle in an isolation movement doesnt guarantee mind muscle connection at all.
Even if you had a kid do leg extension and leg curls for 6 months, whose to say they move to squats later and feel it? We are assuming aloot here.

Main Point: Mind muscle connection is not dependant on exercise selection. It's dependant on countless hours of neural and motor unit development first...AND THEN the right exercise might come into play. So while we wait for those countless hours, we might as well work multiple muscles in compound movements and get stronger.
Old thread, but just was reading through because it was interesting. This is a great point though.

A major flaw I see when people refer to studies done on a population and attempt to draw conclusions, or say “this exercise grew my chest more than others”, or even anecdotes of person A blowing up using a barbell bench press and person B not seeing any chest growth until they switched to machines. The reality is, we can’t get inside these peoples heads to know how greatly they are actually recruiting the muscles with a specific movement. Even if it “looks right”, we don’t know what they are feeling. Two people could be performing a barbell row with what looks like proper technique, and one of them might get a great contraction in the back and the other might be getting all bicep. It’s important to listen to your body and find the movements that work for you.

Maybe I'm missing something here because it keeps going back and forth between building mind muscle connection and compound lifts but sn't this the same for both as we use to call "proper form".

Even though "proper form" is a misnomer from the start.

Granted, we've come along way in the area of proper form, we know now that some people's proper form isn't the same as someone else's proper form. I've seen pretty big strong dudes use form (notice I didn't say "improper") that wouldn't work for me. Even our diets are greatly varied. How many ppl pull weight the same? Squats? Military presses? Nobody.

Finding that comfortable range of motion allows us to mind muscle connect like we have since birth. Does a toddler bend over to pick up a toy with his back? Hell no. He squats down and picks it up, ass to grass. Can there be a more natural motion than lifting something over your head? Or cleaning it off the floor? There's mind muscle connection there too. Problem is, we keep pushing for more strength and poorer form rather than locking in good form in order TO HAVE greater strength.

But the good news is, if anything, the years have pulled us out of these cookie-cutter movements and diets and drug protocols and people are rolling tires and pushing cars, medicine balls have reappeared and heavy bags, belt squats, chains, walking lunges, all the biomechanical movements we do best. And we get strong as hell from them.

Thr difference I see in size and strength appears to have more to do with genetic musculoskeletal leverage and fiber recruitment ability from heaviest of workloads vs bodybuilding where growing larger (hypertrophy) and possibly even additional cells (hyperplasia) by forcing those cells to take on more water, glycogen, amino acids, fatty acids, to "volumize" in every way done through massively voluminous workloads (as opposed to just progressively heavy).

My favorite is when people need a hand moving furniture and they assume you would like to help because "you lift weights at the gym.". No, go hire someone for that. Moving furniture is work, the gym is something people do on their personal time.
Especially if you own a truck! I love my sedan ;)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131