advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How did you decide which weight class to compete in?

BostonFan

Registered
I want to try competing next year in my first show but I'm uncertain about what weight class to compete in? My main problem is that I'm 6'2" and I'm likely to look very skinny even with mass compared to someone that's shorter than me in the same weight class.

My guess is that the closest I'd be able to come to actually standing a chance is in the heavies but I don't think I'll be able to add enough mass to strongly compete in that weight class by next year.

I could do light heavies but that I'd get slaughtered by a 5'8" 198lb dude.

So how did you guys start and how did you know what weight class you wanted to start in? Or did you just start with whatever weight class you could get the leanest and then work your way up?

Thanks ahead of time

There really is no way to choose which weight class you are going to be in. Whatever weight you are at when in contest condition will be your weight class. If you have never dieted down to be contest-ready, you may have no idea right now where you're going to end up until you get closer.

Plus it would be better to come in smaller and conditioned then try to play the size game and come in holdiong too much fat, water, etc.

Get into winning condition, then get on the scale.

whatever you look best at.

Agreed. Unless you come in 2-3lbs over the class limits thats about the only time you really wanna obsess about the scale

you dont decide your weight class

your weight class decides you

:cool:

when I relized their was not a snowballs chance in hell that I would resemble a body builder under 230lbs !!:p

Mate I've never cared about what weight class I was going to do. Especially for my first comp. Just focus on dieting down to the best condition you can get to and then see what weight class you fit into. Then after the comp you will know what you need to do to improve.

Dont concern yourself with being competitive in a certain class. Dont even concern yourself with winning. Just do your job and enjoy the day mate. A lot of competitors have lost the fun factor of competing.

My first show I competed at 150lbs at 5'9". You have to work your way up.

Everyone has respect for a guy that got shredded, but everyone laughs, under their breathe, when a guy shows up not contest ready and also small.
If your small, your still small no matter what you weight, the only difference is the amount of fat.

At 6' 2" you will eventually need to be a super heavy to be competitive at a high level..... but I'm the same height and managed to place well in the heavyweights at a couple of smallish shows (this was many years ago). As suggested, pick a show, get as ripped as you can but maintain as much muscle as possible. Weigh in, (one of the most interesting parts of a show, to me) walk out there with whatever class, and give it your best shot. Your whole perspective on the sport will be changed, and you'll know what to do to get ready for the next one.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws