YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How did you guys/ladies know you were ready to compete?

Emery

Kilo Klub Member
How long into your training did you feel you were ready to compete? Were you ready for your first show? Would you have done anything differently if you could do your first show again?
Any answers will be appreciated.

Much of the time, it's the mere fact that you HAVE a contest scheduled that causes you to get "ready".

Assess your body and think about it, see if you have enough muscle so you don't look like a joke on stage... Pick a show... Get help from someone with your diet, or do your own, BUT do not listen to multiple people because you'll only hurt your progress.

Don't wait around to start competing if it's something you enjoy, start doing it and learning.

For me I had trained for a few years and had never thought of doing bodybuilding to a guy I was with in the military told me do a show. I really didn't know they had different weight classes or know about dieting but I came in 5th place and then wanted to learn more.

There is three years people started to ask me if i compete and or tell me i should compete.

Now getting ready for the show but my way with more muscles

Just register for a contest, get ready for it, and go do it. If you wait until you think u have enough muscle, you will never do a show.

I prepped for my first show at 19yrs old. I was nervous, and definitely not sure if I was ready. I think that's the case for everyone's first show. Set a date, get yourself in contest condition, and as long as you worked your ass off and got yourself to the best condition of your life, you're ready. You can only improve from here.

Just register for a contest, get ready for it, and go do it. If you wait until you think u have enough muscle, you will never do a show.

hey! what are you talking about??? I have been training for my first show for 30 years! :p :D

I would trust what the vets here have to say. post pics and ask them what they think. You'll get great advise from guy'sthat compete or judge the shows.

honestly...

if you wait til you are big enough you will never do a show.

YEARS ago i asked Jay Cutler when is a person ready to compete and he answered,"whenever they are ready to be a bodybuilder, until then they are a just a weightlifter."
pretty good way to put it. i realize he was being a bit fecicious (sp?) but it made sense to me.
-JS

Some really good info so far... Can any of you tell of things you would do different?

Some really good info so far... Can any of you tell of things you would do different?

hired a trainer for my first show. i coulda looked MUCH better.
no matter what you THINK you know doesn't matter. your mind will play all kinds of tricks on you especially the first show so hire someone and trust them.
-JS

My wife and I had been going to shows for year. One show she looked at me and said "K, you look as good or better then most guys up on that stage". I just fell back on I'll wait till I'm 40 and maybe do a master class. At the time I was 38. She then said "why wait?". Next, thing I know is wife is telling people "K is going to do a show" . I told her if I was going to do this I best clean up the diet and start figuring it all out. So, at the age of 39 I did my first open middle weight show. 22 competitors in the middle weigths I placed 3rd. To say the least she was right and that was 26 or more shows ago. Who knows I might still be waiting for that first show.

Side note: I never touch a weight till I was 31. Didn't have a clue till I was about 35. Then I started to change my body into a body builders look.

Go for it my friend :)
K

My wife and I had been going to shows for year. One show she looked at me and said "K, you look as good or better then most guys up on that stage". I just fell back on I'll wait till I'm 40 and maybe do a master class. At the time I was 38. She then said "why wait?". Next, thing I know is wife is telling people "K is going to do a show" . I told her if I was going to do this I best clean up the diet and start figuring it all out. So, at the age of 39 I did my first open middle weight show. 22 competitors in the middle weigths I placed 3rd. To say the least she was right and that was 26 or more shows ago. Who knows I might still be waiting for that first show.

Side note: I never touch a weight till I was 31. Didn't have a clue till I was about 35. Then I started to change my body into a body builders look.

Go for it my friend :)
K

jezzz.....how old are you man????:eek:

:D

I first competed in 1993. I always had people asking me "Do you compete?". I never thought I was big enough. Every year I told myself 5-10 more pounds. Finally a visiting bodybuilder who had done very well in the state championships asked me if I competed. I gave him the above answer, 5-10 more pounds. He told me "Bro your ready NOW". I I entered three contests that year. I won the heavyweight Novice in the first show, won the overall in the second and won the heavyweight in the last. I was 5'11 and was shredded at 231. That was 17 years ago and guys weren't quite as heavy/big as now.

BC

Last edited:
For me it was 2 things.
1. When I would go to shows and was sure I could place at least top 3
2. When the desire to have pics of me shredded onstage looking my absolute best outweighed the fear of being in a speedo covered in fake tan and PAM in front of a couple hundred people.
A lot of serious guys are suprised how well they do at their first show. I won the overall and found out I had a pretty good knack for training, dieting, and coming in dry and shredded and keeping my muscle. It also didn't hurt that I had a pro bodybuilder helping me out for my first show.

hey! what are you talking about??? I have been training for my first show for 30 years! :p :D

I would trust what the vets here have to say. post pics and ask them what they think. You'll get great advise from guy'sthat compete or judge the shows.

Hey Amazon....You will be ready in exactly 4 more years for your first show :D

honestly........

Just pick a show and do it. Hire a prep coach as well. I have only done two shows and I just winged them on my own. I was not in good enough condition and my posing was horrible..............but, I'm glad I did both of them. Got my feet wet, met a lot of great people who I still keep in contact with. Now I'm at the point where I will not do another one unless I look like a legitimate bodybuilder.....but I still have no regrets of doing those shows. Awesome experiences. As others have said, if you wait till you're big enough, you'll never do one. Just set a date and no excuses. Best of luck to you!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity