over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How did you learn....patience?

D-Wade7288

Registered
Hey guys,

I was just thinking. I've been working out serious for a little over 3 years. I've actually had about 1.5-2 where I knew what in the world I was doing. Now, we all know in this day in age, everyone expects QUICK results.

So my question is for all you guys, how did you learn patience in this sport of bodybuilding?

Well

Unfortunately time is relative here. It's not time, it's drug cycles and genetics. Once you compare yourself to someone on something you are not, time comes to a screeching halt along with your gains. This arena is about training, dieting, and supplementation. Supplementation is the X factor.

Unfortunately time is relative here. It's not time, it's drug cycles and genetics. Once you compare yourself to someone on something you are not, time comes to a screeching halt along with your gains. This arena is about training, dieting, and supplementation. Supplementation is the X factor.

Thanks for the input Phil. I just started training with a friend at the school gym and he's eager to make gains but he's expecting quite a bit to soon.

So I guess I'm trying to help explain the concept to him.

Last edited:
It took me almost 20 years...

thats right almost 20 years to get to a point that I am ok with and even now i want more size but ive finally got that "jacked bber" look ..help from my friends at PM and Anasci and some MT2 and I am getting many looks and compliments from many guys and girls...:headbang: ...Keep in mind I had a child to raise alone and a business to run also all those years... Whenever ANYONE asks me I ALWAYS say " Remember its a marathon NOT a sprint !!!"

Last edited:
My doc asked me how old i was so i told him 44yrs. he goes your a specimen then 10 minutes later he goes are you on AAS i said whats that?......:headbang::headbang:

Phil, you provide alot of good information.. At some point i may hire you as a trainer. I'm just a little gun shy i hired a trainer from this board years ago and got the cookie cutter diet and it he had no time for me ... but it wasn't a total waste because i was so pissed off that i research and experimented with diets for the last 2 years. i went from a bloated 6'1 276 18% BF to a now 225 8-9 % body fat and last couple months my BF was lower..

but alot of what you write about kinda fell in line with me. ever since you wrote about declines and dips to bring up the chest i have been doing it for months with drop sets and my chest has come up big time! gotta thank you for that...

Last edited:
I learned patience from already giving up once. I was decently built when I graduated from high school but gave up and got super fat. Of course, several years later I got the bug again, and had to spend 1.5-2 years just undoing the damage I did to get back to where I was. That feeling of "what if I didn't stop" was so haunting that I vowed to just keep plugging away. I thank myself now for not quitting, as I at least am back on route towards my goals.

If you REALLY have a goal you want to achieve, forget how long it will take. Will NOT pursuing it get you there faster than just putting the work in? sure as hell won't. And I've also learned OVER-doing things just sets you back. Be smart, learn your body, and put your head down and work.

The key to being patient with my physique goals (and everything else in life) is to always be aware that the journey is SO much more important than the destination. Embrace the process of improvement and learning. Building a quality body takes time. If you are happy with yourself, your life, and you are enjoying the path that you are taking to reach your goals, then what's the hurry? And if you are not enjoying it, then you need to reevaluate your priorities. Push hard to get what you want, but enjoy the here and now. If all you are concerned with is a goal, a destination, and you think will be happy and satisfied once you get there, you are in for a big disappointment. In the end, we all have the same destination; the fucking grave...have goals, push for milestones, but enjoy life as you do

Age. Period!!!

I just look at the progress I've made so far and compare it to where I came from. I don't look at the future and look at how much more time I need to do to get there. I have goals, but those goals keep progressing forward. Short term goals and long term goals are both good. When You reach a short term goal, you can celebrate and then make a new short term goal.

Age. Period!!!

See and respect it as a lifestyle and it wont be as hard on you

This is not meant to be mean, but you will NEVER convince any of the younger guys that patience is the best way to tackle this sport. No young guys want to hear this (I know i didnt at a young age). No matter how hard you try to teach them to crawl before they walk and to walk before they run and to run before they sprint, you will never get through to them. I was as guilty as the next person when i was young. Age has been the only thing that has taught me patience.:banghead:

I still havent

Patience comes in knowing you are doing the right things to improve your physique with consistency. If you are not seeing improvements in your physique, focus on what is: increasing reps or weight on each exercise between training sessions. As long as your making progress, your physique will follow.

If you are not making progress, evaluate all of your training program...
  • Are you eating enough of the right things to fuel your training program?
  • Are you training with intensity to push your limits?
  • Are you getting enough sleep?
  • Are you giving your body enough time to recover between training sessions?
  • Are you using good form to isolate the muscles you are intending to train?
  • Are you doing all of this consistently?

You get out what you put in over a sustained period of time. Not willing to commit to the journey? Find another journey that you can commit to...or at least recognize the limits to what you will be able to achieve.

I've never learned it. I just optimize as many factors as I can and keep doing whatever it is, until it's done. My feelings about it are not a consideration.

We can either be frustrated in the meantime (impatient) or accept that we're doing all we can under the rules and restraints (if any) of whatever endeavor we've undertaken...then bite down and just keep coming.

Last edited:
I've never learned it. I just optimize as many factors as I can and keep doing whatever it is, until it's done. My feelings about it are not a consideration.

We can either be frustrated in the meantime (impatient) or accept that we're doing all we can under the rules and restraints (if any) of whatever endeavor we've undertaken...then bite down and just keep coming.

Me neither, and it's about time to learn some.:(:star:wars

Patience is only achieved by disciplining yourself to be so.

Long ago, someone told me patience would come with age. They lied to me. But what I have learned is how to put up with being impatient.

I have been lifting since the 70's and I still get frustrated with how slow progress can be, but at least it no longer surprises me.

I got alot of buddys that are always tryong to peap these huge distances and there always comparing thenselves to people on instgram amd shit and they spend so much time talking about this bullshit and i always tell them to atop and enjoy the journey and struggles and youll be alot happier. I try to be the best me and just do me and not lose the fun side of this the reason we all started ive only just started this journey about 4 years ago only got about 2 2.5 years of actually bbing and training eating right ive made aome decent gains and worked with phill for a year and had a aurgery and still back to being larger. I think one reason is im not taking it ao serious that i stress myself out or over think shit eat train and supplement right and have fun.

Old fart here.

For much of my bodybuilding life, for decades, time was all we had. No juice, little good info. Persistence and trial and error were the name of the game. Often it felt like we were beating our heads against the wall with little to show for it, but I learned discipline and what my own body responded to.

We had no forums and no Internet. There were huge guys in the magazines, but we knew their advice was mostly BS. No hundreds of guys from around the world to share info with. The only role models were the other, slightly bigger guys at the gym. We didn't see anybody blow up to freak size in 3 years...such a thing was unthinkable, so our own goals were modest. The role model wasn't a 250-lb. muscle head, but rather that other kid down the street with pretty big pecs. With less seemingly possible, I think we could relax and know we would get there with enough hard work.

When I learned about progressive overload, and natural training vs steroids. Now I'm adding 0.5 to 1 kg to my lifts per week. But I'm fine with being patient, if I could add 10 kg to my lifts per week my physique would be perfect and I wouldn't have any more to discover and work for.

If I wanted quick results I guess running a couple of cycles could get me there faster but then where would I go from there? I need new goals

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws