advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do I get my dog to get used to his new house?

johnrite

Newbies
I moved to a new house 4 days back and my puppy who is 4 months old seems to have trouble adjusting to it. He follows me around wherever I go; When I go out, he scratches at the door and whines and when left alone he chews all the stuff he can. Since I am working and staying alone, it is not possible for me to stay with him while he gets used to the house. I would like to train him to stay in the balcony of the house while I'm away at work. Can anyone help me about how I can get this done? Also, can anyone give me suggestions as to how I can stop him from chewing my things? Any suggestions you give me will be helpful.
Thanks.

I moved to a new house 4 days back and my puppy who is 4 months old seems to have trouble adjusting to it. He follows me around wherever I go; When I go out, he scratches at the door and whines and when left alone he chews all the stuff he can. Since I am working and staying alone, it is not possible for me to stay with him while he gets used to the house. I would like to train him to stay in the balcony of the house while I'm away at work. Can anyone help me about how I can get this done? Also, can anyone give me suggestions as to how I can stop him from chewing my things? Any suggestions you give me will be helpful.
Thanks.

Puppys will be puppys..

Try this, it worked with my boxer pup.

He feels safe where he can smell you..give him a dirty ass blanket/sheet you havent washed in a while (funky ass sock will work also), and leave it where you would want him to stay.

As far as the chewing..give him some toys. I had a HARD time with my boxer pup so I had to get creative. I'd pour a drop of hotsauce on the item I didnt want him chewing up..he quickly learned his lesson.

Most important..be patient!

When ever you bring home a new dog wether grown or puppy, before introducing him to a new house. They first thing you should do is take the dog for a nice loooooong walk. Not only is he doing something he was born to do but also something he loves to do. Go on walks with his new Alpha male dog. Since the puppy is now home with you that's out. And since he is just a puppy he will be following you everywhere. Since you are the only person in your house he is only doing what comes natural. And that is wanting to be with his new pack leader all the time to show him the ropes.

Trying to get him used to staying on the balcony while he isn't yet used to the house wont work. What you need is a crate to put him in. He needs to feel safe while you are at work and thus a crate offers not only a peace of mind for him but also a area that he feels confortable in. (plus a new sleeping area) Introduce him to the crate with the door open. Put one of your shirts or blanket in there with your scent on it. Put him in front of the crate pick him up and put him inside. DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR! He will run back out after a moment or two but that's fine. As soon as he comes out give him a bunch of praise and a little treat. Then repeat it a few times. Now he will get the idea and see the crate as a place where he gets affection and treats! wooohooooo!

Next step, and only once he has done the other step a number of times first. Do you take a treat and toss it to the back of the crate. He will go and get it and come back out. Now he is going in on his own. Samething, praise him for getting it. Now we move onto the next part. Again, after he has mastered the other two very well.

Place the puppy inside the crate and close the door. Stay in front of the crate where he can see you. Leave the door closed for a few about 2 mins. When you open the door and he comes out praise him and give him a treat. repeat it about two or three more times. Next, put him back inside close the door. And walk out of the room. (out of sight) leave him in there for 2 mins no matter how much he whines. When you come back in the room he will be jumping up and down to see you again BUT wait for him to calm down before you open the door. This way he knows only when he is "CALM" will you open the door.. If you let him out while he is excited he will be harder to get back in because he came out of the crate with the wrong mind set. Let him out and praise him and give hime a treat. Then repeat this a few more times adding a minute or two each time. What this does is to let the dog know he is to stay there and wait for you. But it also gets him used to the idea of being crated and sees it as a place where he gets praise and treats and when is calm.

Once he has mastered this part easily. Take the crate out on the balcony and do the last steps again. Leave him in there and walk away. He will get used to the balcony quickly since he already knows his crate lessons. When you leave for work leave him in the crate. Trust me he will not feel bad about being left in there. Once he gets used to being left alone on the balcony THEN you can leave the door open to his crate while he's out there. Again, Leave a shirt or something in there with your scent on it.

As for the chewing. You can go a few different ways with it.

1. of course don't leave anything around you dont want chewed! haha The second he starts to chew on something give him a hard NO, then replace the shoes with with one of his toys immediatly. As soon as he takes his toy praise him. He will see quickly what he gets corrected on and praised for quickly.

2. only play tug of war with him with his toys or the ropes they sell at the pet store. Dogs love to play tug of war. After a while he will grab the rope and bring it to you to play more tug of war with him. If he grabs a shoe or whatever AGAIN correct him and give him the rope and then praise him. He will soon get the idea that the rope is play time and the shoes are a no no time.

Good luck my friend.

(p.s. this was not copy and pasted) LOL

BOOMSHAKER brings up a lot of good points. Your puppy needs exercise, family structure, and a portable crate/kennel to call home. Dogs are a pack-based animal. They need to know where they fit in. If you don't establish the Alpha-Male role the puppy will literally run wild. You don't have to be mean, you need to be firm and assertive. I have a Rottweiler and a Vizsla and it's a learning process. My best advice to you if you are serious about your puppy is read the books by Cesar Millan "The Dog Whisperer". It will give you all the information you will ever need to make you and your puppy happy. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131