advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do I get started in the software/computer technology field?

suzanneshaw

Newbies
I am a guy turning 16 and I think one of the few fields i would like to get into is the above mentioned. That topic is about as broad as it can get. The problem for me right now is that I don't know where to start. This covers everything from web design, programming, graphic design, code, to hardware, how computer hardware works (ie so i could be able to fix/diagnose pc problems)....and pretty mcuh anything else you can think of along those lines. I heard of a site called Lynda.com that does software training by video, which sounds good, and looking at the reviews it seems worth it, but even then i don't know what to learn about first. I want to start out broad-minded in the software/computer technology field and then eventually narrow it down to one particular area like web design or something while still having an overall general knowledge of everything (and not just software, hardware and general computer/electronics technology). Any suggestions about how to go about doing this? How did you do it? I really want to get a head start on a career and im eager to get started soon. What should I do?
10 points
thanks!

What are some of your hobbies?
What subjects in school where you good in?

Gereralist don't make much. You need to specialize. If you are specialized you will pick up enough along the way to know a descent amount about the rest. If you are not currently tinkering as a hobby as in breaking and fixing things, playing with linux etc. you will not go very far in this field. If you want to make good money with a future stay away from desktop support or anything like that, web-design also sucks. Cisco and ISP level is where the professional jobs are. Basic software and destop support can be done by a college kid that is hired for $12/hr. Network Security CISSP, CCIE-Security with become bigger than ever in the next few years because of the medical industry. VoIP is also another area. Also if you want to make money in this business you need to be willing to travel. If you want to be a manager you will need a bachelors degree in business, IT or engineering. The best way to get your foot in the door is to join the military and choose a communications MOS. Do that and use the military benefits to get your education.

Work with them, love them, blow them up. Love them again.

Certification

First, go for any It certification, second go to a community college 3rd find a good university and transfer your credits and last get a good job that will make you feel good in the IT field.... so you can apply all your knowledge...

First, go for any It certification, second go to a community college 3rd find a good university and transfer your credits and last get a good job that will make you feel good in the IT field.... so you can apply all your knowledge...

Best advice right here^. Also, check out my post in STEVE 123 thread.

Old days it just took a knack or interest. Today, if you don't have any straight up hookups from IT friends, a short tech program might get you in the door to something. You just have to be choosey and make sure what you are getting into has a good economic market. For example, tech schools like Devry, and ITT Tech, they just want to steal your money, and don't give a shit if you get placed. So, if you want to fix PCs, plan on making 5 an hour. Study the market niche you choose with salary surveys, and jobs searches.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear