YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you avoid alcohol when you crave it?

And the winner is...

I think what everyone is saying is just that you need to find something else to give you the high and the thrill instead of just going out and getting plowed. I realise that it can take some imagination because in some areas there's just not a whole lot to do except get buzzed.

It doesn't sound like you have a habitual problem as much as something arising out of boredom or simply the need to get a thrill or party it up.

Try alternating soda, drink, soda, drink or something. Then maybe you can cut your consumption down. There's no really easy answer here.

You just have to get to a place where it's just not that fun anymore and that will be the end of it.

I had the same problem. Most of my friends drink. And I absolutely LOVE being drunk.

I had to come to the realization that I was mostly getting drunk and hanging out with my friends because I had nothing else to do.

And although I love being drunk, I don't like the "thought" of being "drunk again", if that makes sense?

I would wake up and tell myself that I didn't want to get drunk that day, but by the evening time boredom had set in and phone calls would be made and, sure enough, I was liquored-up again. For me, I was fine if I was by myself, because I can't stand to be drunk and alone. I want social interaction when I'm drunk. But I would get bored by myself and then....etc, etc.

What did I do? Well, first I had to decide that I wasn't going to rely on my friends to entertain me and that I would have to start finding my own ways to enjoy my time. Yes, I see less of my friends these days- I still love 'em all to death but I have absolutely beat the hell outta my liver these last couple of years hanging out with them.

So I took up a sport. Bowling. Not that's it's for everyone, but just using it as an example.

In short, OTH was right. You have to get to the point where it just isn't fun for you anymore.

Sorry for the rambling rant, I've been up quite a while.

I have this bad habit of getting absolutely smashed one day a week and I don't have an explanation why!!

I tell myself I'm not gonna drink then find myself pulling up to a liquor store disgusted with myself. I'm not gonna lie I do enjoy myself while I'm drinking but end up paying for it with bad decision making and throwing a weeks worth of training and good diet out the door.

I can control myself M-F, it's the Saturday I have off when I tend to have this problem.

Suggestions are welcomed if you guys could give me some advice on how you avoid the drink when you crave it.

Thank You
If you cant control it then its an addiction...AKA: alcoholism

Next time you get smashed, really over do it so you are pukeing your lungs out then everytime you think about drinking you will think about pukeing. Besides drunk guys don't impress girls, it is a sign of weakness no matter how strong you look.

Addiction to drinking on weekends? Doubtful.
Hey OTH ..now dont take this as a smart ass answer or that I'm directing this to you OTH to start an argument...I'm not and I don't want to go that route with ya....again...LOL

BUT if this guy said the same thing but had a craving for "little BOYs" instead of Booz... but he only did it once or twice a year...
Id say that was likely a problem.
Any uncontrollable urge needs to be looked into IMO.
Id bet this guys father or mother was a full blown alcoholic

Hey OTH ..now dont take this as a smart ass answer or that I'm directing this to you OTH to start an argument...I'm not and I don't want to go that route with ya....again...LOL

BUT if this guy said the same thing but had a craving for "little BOYs" instead of Booz... but he only did it once or twice a year...
Id say that was likely a problem.
Any uncontrollable urge needs to be looked into IMO.
Id bet this guys father or mother was a full blown alcoholic
Not a bad question but there are vast fundamental differences. This is why a face-to-face consultation with a qualified professional is so vital. A person really has to listen closely to not just what someone is saying but how they are saying it. Your analogy, which seems somewhat apt initially, is not applicable since those individuals with a compulsion towards pedophilia would not simply feel that compulsion just on weekends. The language of the initial post suggests that this individual is generally fine throughout the week and for whatever reason (boredom, an escape, fun, whatever) is self-medicating on weekends. Pedophilia is not a form of self-medication - it is not a drug. There are similarities in the neurological chemical processes of award, impact, and satisfaction, etc. that I will not get into here but what I'm saying is that a active pedophile has an unhealthy and illegal compulsion and seeks out a way to fulfill that specific compulsion - the act itself. Someone self-medicating is using an artificial means (a drug) to enjoy symptomatic relief of something totally different than simply an unnatural lust to drink alcohol for the sake of the alcohol itself.

Its called binge drinking. One doesnt have to drink everyday to be an alcoholic.

If you have addictive tendencies, i hate to say it but you're on your way to becoming a full blown alcoholic, like me. If you cannot control it and you want to, you have a problem. If you are an alcoholic, forget willpower, your addiction can override it every time. I tried for years to moderate, not drink, etc, and i always ended up back drunk. My advice is to go check out a AA mtg and see what you think, you might not be ready, you may have to hit bottom like many of us have. AA basically saved my life, and I hope to God you can nip this in the bud, the bottom is a dark dark place to be. Feel free to PM me, i've been coke free for 20+ yrs, sober for 3 mths, i'll be happy to share with you the lessons i've learned.

I had the same problem. Most of my friends drink. And I absolutely LOVE being drunk.

I had to come to the realization that I was mostly getting drunk and hanging out with my friends because I had nothing else to do.

And although I love being drunk, I don't like the "thought" of being "drunk again", if that makes sense?

I would wake up and tell myself that I didn't want to get drunk that day, but by the evening time boredom had set in and phone calls would be made and, sure enough, I was liquored-up again. For me, I was fine if I was by myself, because I can't stand to be drunk and alone. I want social interaction when I'm drunk. But I would get bored by myself and then....etc, etc.

What did I do? Well, first I had to decide that I wasn't going to rely on my friends to entertain me and that I would have to start finding my own ways to enjoy my time. Yes, I see less of my friends these days- I still love 'em all to death but I have absolutely beat the hell outta my liver these last couple of years hanging out with them.

So I took up a sport. Bowling. Not that's it's for everyone, but just using it as an example.

In short, OTH was right. You have to get to the point where it just isn't fun for you anymore.

Sorry for the rambling rant, I've been up quite a while.

I agree with this 100%! Sounds exactly like me. I dont think it is an 'addiction' to booze if you only crave it on a saturday like you say. its more of an addiction to 'a good time'. I know when i was drinking i wouldnt even have a beer alone. there was no pt to me. and when saturday night rolled around, unless there was something going on, i NEVER had the urge to drink. THe problem is on saturday nights there usually IS something going on, and it almost always involves drinking!

For me i havent drank for 4 months as i was dieting. After not drinking for that long, you realize that its NOT the only answer to having fun. The differences im gonna make now is not to stop drinking totally, but im not gonna LOOK for something to do on saturday nights just cause i wanna drink and have a good time. For example by buds bachelor party is in two weeks and you can rest assured im gonna have a few cocktails there! But on the flipside, im not going out to bars anymore just because its 'saturday night so what else am i gonna do'. Its tough but its possible :D

drinking problem

r u able to stop after a few drinks? If not you have a drinking problem, Dont sweat it many people do, get help I would find a good psychologist Those AA people are off the chain and hard to relate to. I work for on of those AA guys he is my gm and he intolerable to be around.

Your decision

Simple - are the consequences (and potential inevitable consequences) worse than the pleasure of drinking. At 43 I decided that drinking wasn't for me anymore. Now I'm 45 and I miss drinking, but I don't miss how it affected my life. I wish I stopped drinking 20 years ago, but better late than never. I ran marathons with a hang over - I told myself I couldn't run marathons if I were a drunk. But I was a drunk. If drinking has cost you too much try to stop. Good luck.

r u able to stop after a few drinks? If not you have a drinking problem, Dont sweat it many people do, get help I would find a good psychologist Those AA people are off the chain and hard to relate to. I work for on of those AA guys he is my gm and he intolerable to be around.

the first part of your statement is correct! the last part makes you another ignorant stereo typer!

I'm one of those 'crazy' AA people, and here's a shocker, we're (as a group) like everyone else, some are intolerable arseholes, some are the nicest you'll ever meet, and alot are in between.

The AA/NA guys seem a tad intolerant because even one drink, one line of coke, one shot of heroin and you are back to that bottomless pit you created in your life=-) So they kinda try to steer you away from that, if most of us could handle drinking/drugs on my own, well hell....then there wouldn't even be an NA/AA would there???

The AA/NA guys seem a tad intolerant because even one drink, one line of coke, one shot of heroin and you are back to that bottomless pit you created in your life=-) So they kinda try to steer you away from that, if most of us could handle drinking/drugs on my own, well hell....then there wouldn't even be an NA/AA would there???

Yeah, The AA guys have a whole different mind set. Their thinking is that we are powerless over alcohol and that only God can make things right.

Here's the thing, beyond a 2-3 day detox, even the most hard core abuser is no longer "physically" addicted to alcohol and even that is a very extreme case. It is a mental additical and mostly habitual - e.g., car kind of automatically swings into the Package store after work.....

Personally, bodybuilding has kept me from drinking myself silly. I still drink but much less than the old days. I would rather look good than get drunk all the time.

Finding a goal that requires periods of abstinance is very helpfull. If you do need help, Rational Recovery is better for many people than AA. Look it up.

Yeah, The AA guys have a whole different mind set. Their thinking is that we are powerless over alcohol and that only God can make things right.

Here's the thing, beyond a 2-3 day detox, even the most hard core abuser is no longer "physically" addicted to alcohol and even that is a very extreme case. It is a mental additical and mostly habitual - e.g., car kind of automatically swings into the Package store after work.....

Personally, bodybuilding has kept me from drinking myself silly. I still drink but much less than the old days. I would rather look good than get drunk all the time.

Finding a goal that requires periods of abstinance is very helpfull. If you do need help, Rational Recovery is better for many people than AA. Look it up.
CLOSE--but not! You do not have the facts about alcoholism, and yet you are handing out advice like you do. AMAZING!

CLOSE--but not! You do not have the facts about alcoholism, and yet you are handing out advice like you do. AMAZING!

Listen, with all due respect, it really pisses me off when someone makes a statement like this an then doesn't offer anything.

You may be right. Maybe my own experience with this really didn't happen and it's all in my head. Could have been a bad dream. Maybe I wasn't told by medical professionals how this whole things works and I'm just telling lies here because I'm bored. Maybe I really never attended an AA or RR meeting and I'm just making it up. Perhaps I never even read about it.

Whatever...

well my friend the facts are these. their are two things that seperate an alcoholic from a normal or non alcoholic person. one is physical and the other is mental. the physical is the manifestation of an alergy. once an alcoholic puts alcohol in his body he has the phenomanon of craving. he cant stop on his own. this never occors in the normal drinker, and once you develop this you will always have it. these type can never safely use alcohol. NO REAL ALCOHOLIC EVER RECOVERS CONTROL!
just like a person who is alergic to bee stings. if you have it--you will always have it.
the second thing that seperates these people from the so call normal person or the non-alcoholic is, no mental defense against the first drink. knowing they cant stop once they start, they are still unable to not start. their mind tells them they will do it different this time.
Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic.
despite all this, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in this class. By every form of self deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule.

Well here's a little different answer anyway... when I feel like drinking I smoke some pot instead :D I mean it's illegal in most states so it may not be a great solution, but at least it's not as bad for your health

well my friend the facts are these. their are two things that seperate an alcoholic from a normal or non alcoholic person. one is physical and the other is mental. the physical is the manifestation of an alergy. once an alcoholic puts alcohol in his body he has the phenomanon of craving. he cant stop on his own. this never occors in the normal drinker, and once you develop this you will always have it. these type can never safely use alcohol. NO REAL ALCOHOLIC EVER RECOVERS CONTROL!
just like a person who is alergic to bee stings. if you have it--you will always have it.
the second thing that seperates these people from the so call normal person or the non-alcoholic is, no mental defense against the first drink. knowing they cant stop once they start, they are still unable to not start. their mind tells them they will do it different this time.
Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic.
despite all this, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in this class. By every form of self deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule.

Makes sense. Although, I had two doctors specifically tell me that there is no identifiable medical condition called "alcoholism". One actually told me, "If alcoholism is truley a disese, it's the only one where we (medical) send people to the Spiritual/Counseling community for help".

Like lots of things, not all Doc's are correct. And the line I got from these people could be complete bullshit. If so, it's too bad because at one point in my life, good advice here could have made a difference.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if the OP is having trouble with it, perhaps find a motivation of some sort that precludes use of Alcohol for periods of time. I know that worked for me. Maybe I don't have an "alergy" to alcohol, and it's more a mental thing - a habbit- where I just like to party..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity