YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you define "hard work" as it pertains to bodybuilding?

AlphaMaleDawg

Banned
Can somebody please define the term "hard work" as it pertains to bodybuilding? What exactly does this consist of?

Someone who doesn't miss workouts as a result of lazyness?
Someone who has no appetite and doesn't feel like eating the amount of food they need to?
Someone who doesn't feel like eating 100% clean, 100% of the time?
Someone who doesn't use light weights for a few easy reps during their workouts?

"Hard work" is such a relative term in bodybuilding and I never have a clue what people mean when they use this term. When someone is accused of not working hard enough, what exactly does that mean?

Am I the only one who gets confused by what this truly means?

Can somebody please define the term "hard work" as it pertains to bodybuilding? What exactly does this consist of?

Someone who has no appetite and doesn't feel like eating the amount of food they need to?
Someone who doesn't use light weights for a few easy reps during their workouts?

"Hard work" is such a relative term in bodybuilding and I never have a clue what people mean when they use this term. When someone is accused of not working hard enough, what exactly does that mean?

It is such a subjective term. I think that people use the term to describe someone who appears to go 100% (intensity and quality) in the gym and doesn't dick around, someone who is consistent with everything. Someone who is dedicated.? Again, that's a subjective term too lol

Or, someone who pushes themselves constantly, be it with weights, gear or food, to acheive their best.

Last edited:
Id personally say its the guys who have found what works for them and always follow it to a tee. If x training and y nutrition works best for you, whether its DC training and gorging yourself with clean cals allday, or if its low vol high freq phil hernon approach and being extremely meticulous with calories, or what ever, as long as they followcwhat works for them. Basically, consistency is the key to "working hard" in bodybuilding. IMO.

Here's the real question I think everyone needs to aks themselvs. No matter how hard and intense the training, no matter how rigorous the diet, no matter what you choose to pump yourself full of....Is it still hard work if your having fun and enjoying it?

In my opinion it refers to the guys who have taken the time to experiment and learn what works best for their bodies. Also the guys that aren't afraid to change the way they do things long after they began as they learn newer methods of training/dieting/supplementation etc. All of the main concepts of bodybuilding are constantly evolving. What people thought of as the best way(s) to do things years ago often are not always the most effective or efficient due to new ways of thinking. The hard workers are consistent in that they are constantly pushing forward. Hard work refers to consistency over the long term as well as evolving with the sport IMO.

Last edited:
The fact that we are all members in here, trying to seek information about diet, gear is HARD WORK !!

How many people at the gym do you know that seriously cruise on forums like we do, have our knowledge ?

like b-boy said

How hard is it to tear muscle down at the gym for 30 minutes, and then eat eggs rice chicken through out the day ?? :confused:

Hard work could be anything and all abit silly. Eating consistently over time could be deemed as hard work but for many it is easy as they are planned and it becomes routine. Hitting it hard in the gym could be hard work but most I know do that. However there are many effective ways to train and some of them don't require throwing up after most workouts and performing 50 sets per gym sesssion. You could say having the willpower to inj synthol in your calves and 5 other bodyparts day in day out is hard work. Or taking so much tren that it makes you so anxious but you fight through it cos you want to be huge and ripped.

It's such an individual term no one can really say what hard work means to othesr but only to themselves. Although flex summed it up pretty well.

Log what you eat and lift. Be honest in the logs and steadily move forward. I dont know whether not using a log is lazy or stupid but i know you cant move forward if you don't know where you're at.

DEDICATION

Getting to the gym and working out all muscles not neglecting any
DIET
Doing all your sets/reps not cheating
Do appropriate weight
Get rest
Control your vices(Candy, Alcohol, etc.)
Research, and don't be afraid to ask questions
NEVER GIVE UP

the one who can endure the most pip is the most hard working :headbang:

according to the forums, hard work in bodybuilding and being hardcore entails;

not drinking alcohol or ever going into social situations for fear of eating something you aren't supposed to, must stay anabolic at all times and never sacrifice gains

not having sex before your workout. only have sex as cardio, on off days.

not going out, ever. hermit status yields ultimate gains

using joint destroying amounts of weights in order to build gobs of lean muscle fibres

eating 5000 calories, clean per day because they want to have massive slin bellies and overgrown intestines

eating 10 meals per day because dedicated bodybuilders have nothing else to do all day except eat

getting 500 grams of protein per day to yield ultimate anabolic result and maintain constant ultimate anabolism

using whatever ultimate training routine is in style on the internet at the time, fst-7, mountaindog, DC, westside, rippetoe, 531, GVT, etc

using a ton of supplements at the exact right timing because it can yield extremely great results even though they are merely extracts of foods that we eat daily

foregoing holidays like new years and being on a treadmill instead because you don't like anyone

eating chicken brokli or sirloin steak with carrots all day everyday. because true bodybuilders should eat boring bland diets

using only 250mg of test and no deca or eq or tren ever, 5iu hgh only. any more than that and you are labelled as "all drugs" and "high doser".

use insane amounts of food to build muscle, rather than rely on drugs to build muscle beyond your genetic limit

spending lots of money monthly on supplements like creatine, whey protein, casein protein, super duper high technology cold filtered ion splitting protein, human protein, bcaa, eaa, glutamine, taurine, xtend, white flood, superpump250, etc etc

eating chicken that can fly since they are organic corn fed and are free roaming, grass fed cows that can sing because they are happy and free roaming and grass fed, grass fed organic asparagus, grass fed high omega fish, grass fed whey protein, etc etc...grass fed grass maybe

hard work also entails never going on high doses, relying on training instead and eating massive amounts of bland food

dieting so hard that your stomach hurts and you pass out from exhaustion and you cant sleep

preparing meals for the rest of the week because they like week old, soggy veggies and super dry chicken and dry rice

training with ultimate mind and muscle connection, mind muscle connection so strong the mental power yields ultimate peak contraction

hard work entails counting your negative reps that you can only have negatives that last for 5.69780 seconds and then 5 millisecond explosive positives

...ask the dude with the amazing physique at the gym, most likely some black fella on hormones, what hard work entails and he'll simply say, "eat good and train hard, and you will be well on your way brotha" and maybe if he is close to you and real with you, he will tell you that once you reach a certain level, you need chemical enhancement to exceed that level instead of selling you some pipe dream about anything is attainable with enough "hard work"

...if you ask some trainer what hard work entails...and he starts spouting off miracle training routines and miracle supplements that he sells...run with your wallet intact

Last edited:
Hitting compound lifts hard consistently

Well I guess I'll be THAT guy...if u have to ask, then u probably ain't working hard!

1) Yes, someone who is lethargic due to lack of sleep, hormones, a combo, etc., but still gets his workout shorts and shirt on and gives it a good healthy workout is a hard-worker.

2) That's just dumb. Why would you eat, if you aren't hungry?

3) Just cause you don't eat clean, doesn't mean you aren't working hard. I know John Meadows, per Shelby, ate like the King of IHOP before one of his contests--100% dirty food-- yet he's a hard-worker. I don't think eating clean 100% is a sign of hard work, I think hard work is strategically eating. Knowing when to cheat, when to cheat cleanly, when to not cheat, and the easiest of them all...when to eat.

I've gotten out of serious diet ruts by having eating burger, fries, getting how much ever ice cream I want and re-starting my diet the day after and within 3 days I am very impressed and re-focused. That's not, not being a hard worker. That's just being strategic.

4) I don't think a certain poundage is heavy work, it's intense work. Hard work is training appropriately. Knowing periodiziation, what type of ROM, etc.

I am still learning this all myself too.

OMG! By the time i got to:

"grass fed grass"

I was in tears lol.

Awesome post man.

I don't compete bodybuilding wise but I don't look at my time in my workout room as work it is blow off steam time destress time but I usually spend 3 hours lifting and wishing I had a body like sky cowboy :)

Every time I walk into the gym (home or commercial) I ask myself:

What am I here for today!

Then I go to work.

I expect we are all (or should be) training hard and pushing it in the gym, for me the surest sign of hard work and dedication is creating and sticking to an effective diet that maximizes returns for that hard work we put in.

Diets are often not fun, they can be bland and limiting socially, they are for most people by definition a great mental struggle.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear