over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you feel about box squats?

jdoisjohnny

Registered
Hi I don't think one theory is right or just cause one person is doing it makes it right, but i'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

So I was doing box squats in a new gym the other day 500-550 sitting back and then exploding up. I went to ask one of the older guys who looked like he could spot me without falling over he said he refused and basically said I was dumb for not using a belt and using a box.. His argument was a box puts you into a bad position when you sit on it. So I started to wonder if he was right, but i've followed the west side template for so long and I love it and box squats have really helped me get through plateaus so I don't know. Is it something good for strength, but has more potential to hurting you or is something as long as done with right form will keep you healthy.

Anyway I'm here to learn and i'm always opened to new ideas please let me know what you guys think.

well if i couldnt sounds like you could thats how i do them and its effective and great for me to go up in weights and also tend to go deeper on a box squat using the small box i dont put my full weight on the box i touch ass and back up for me box squats are a great weapon for training legs and breaking plateus thats why agree with them

did he give you a reason? like body mecahnics wise? i doubt it. Plus if your following a westside template you obviously know that it works. even louie simmons says box squatting is safer than regular squats. dont read into it.

Boxes are good for making sure your hitting a good depth. As long as you dont compromise technique g2g. As for a belt, if your core is strong enough to handle the weight no problem, but you have to make sure your staying engaged the whole time otherwise you could get some serious back issues especially if your resting on the box. I use to use a box, but it was a touch and go, no rest.

Nothing easier about a box squat if done properly its actually harder, kills momentum and requires that explosive drive off the box..follow louies teachings, westside knows their shit... ur repping over 500... what do u figure the older fella can rep? I dont think id sweat em.

not trying to be a youtube whore or anything but heres vid from like a year ago. I dont have anything too recent on box squatting but if you guys have critique i'm not going to take it badly. Also this was when I was home at summer seeing my family and they didn't have any real boxes at the golds so I improvised.

John Doe box squat 515 @195 - YouTube

oh and sorry about that screeching scream lol i've learned not to be so loud

Last edited:
I am no Louie Simmons or anyone worth a damn but curious if it compresses the spine from both ends?
I wanted to try them out but my gym doesn't have a box. I usually go too low on squats and lose my arch and hurt my back . I widened my stand recently because it helped that prob for some reason. I also wear Olympic shoes.

Rogue makes a nice cheap adjustable box.

Also don't understand why Louie compares box squats to
A leg curl

i love box squats. your doing 500+ so the old timer was prob just jealous

I would personally tell you that most people in a gym setting, and bodybuilders ( i used to be one) think it is cheating and that you are just doing it to try and impress others...God forbid you are just training to make yourself that much stronger...

I swear by these. I take a 16" box and I touch and go, meaning the second my ass touches I stand right back up...I go heavier and heavier and it brings my overall ATG squat higher...

For Strongman or Powerlifting I believe these help adjust your CNS as well...
Just for kicks throw like 5-600 on a box squat, do a few reps and then throw on say 315-405 for ATG squats and guaranteed you will do more reps then you normally could...

I do wear a belt, I think once you go that heavy and your core is not used to handling that much weight it's a good idea...that and a Rehband if you can afford it.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws