YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How Do You Feel When You Are In Contest Shape Throughout A Normal Day?

Nikopapp

Registered
I have never competed, but I am curious after seeing a few threads lately with a few of you in amazing condition, how does it feel walking around like that on a daily basis?
Mostly I am thinking of normal everyday things, like when you're are work or you go to the grocery store or something.
I know everyone is different, and some probably like the attention they may get and some probably don't want it.
I am curious if the majority cover up, or if you are proud and want to show others, maybe only even friends and family?

For myself, I feel like crap and everything takes extra effort. Seem to get mentally and physically washed out right about now (@ 10 days out), all the hours of cardio and training, plus the diet takes a toll on you. Not to mention the normal everyday stressors: work, etc.

You bulk up then lose all that weight (currently I have lost 46lbs.) and feel small and puny. I carb deplete to a fairly sickening degree so I am always flat and overloaded with water. Any pump I get lasts about .... ohhhhh ... 2 seconds. You look in the mirror and try to remind yourself, come showtime I will fill out and be dehydrated so will look better.

You rely on your family, friends, training partner and whoever will listen to get you to get you thru it. But when it comes down to it, it is all on you. You wonder, did I do enough cardio, did I drink enough water, you over analyze everything. I am lucky to have my guru as my best friend also (Main) and he has seen the eb and flow of everything.

Figured since I am right at the wire I would throw out some of what goes on for me at least.

This may sound strange but I held contest ready condition for 5 months. It actually became somewhat of homeastasis per se, and I felt fine because I got used to it. Strength was awesome, energy decent, and just fucntioned quite normal and stable. I actually feel worse now that Im PCT and post contest. It was kinda weird to think that every other time I walked around like that for 2-3 weeks, but 5 months was crazy.

For myself, I feel like crap and everything takes extra effort. Seem to get mentally and physically washed out right about now (@ 10 days out), all the hours of cardio and training, plus the diet takes a toll on you. Not to mention the normal everyday stressors: work, etc.

You bulk up then lose all that weight (currently I have lost 46lbs.) and feel small and puny. I carb deplete to a fairly sickening degree so I am always flat and overloaded with water. Any pump I get lasts about .... ohhhhh ... 2 seconds. You look in the mirror and try to remind yourself, come showtime I will fill out and be dehydrated so will look better.

You rely on your family, friends, training partner and whoever will listen to get you to get you thru it. But when it comes down to it, it is all on you. You wonder, did I do enough cardio, did I drink enough water, you over analyze everything. I am lucky to have my guru as my best friend also (Main) and he has seen the eb and flow of everything.

Figured since I am right at the wire I would throw out some of what goes on for me at least.

Come on!!! you will see the results and all your efforts worth it when you get the 1st. place!!!!!

I started to stay within 10-12 lbs on contest weight and it makes dieting and prepping alot easier than when you have to lose 20-30lbs. Just have a good support system and the final product is def worth it..

Don't know about "amazing conditioning" in my case but I know that during my first prep a couple of times I would walk around the store losing track of time and I would end up being there for almost 2 hours and just have something like oats, baggies and gum in my basket.

Most times nobody around here knew I was competing, just family, a couple of friends and maybe my boss when I put in for leave. I actually like it better that way, but now people are starting to clue in when I start prepping. :action:sm

I'm usually drained, tired and feel like total crap. Taylormade helps me with my training and dieting. Last time I competed I was about 6 wks out and he asked how I felt... I replied, "I hate my job, I hate this town, I hate my bf (he's now an ex)." He said, "good you are right on track" and laughed.

I love the way I look when I'm cutting; however, it plays mind games with you. It's hard to maintain that look year round, so at some point you start gaining weight back. That's when you start feeling fat, and most people don't see you that way. You have to mentally prepare yourself for the post-competition trauma. I don't know if guys go through this or if it is just a woman thing. You don't really have much support, so it's something you have to deal with by yourself.

Come on!!! you will see the results and all your efforts worth it when you get the 1st. place!!!!!

Thanks Big, it's been a long road (even with car crashes!)

I'm usually drained, tired and feel like total crap. Taylormade helps me with my training and dieting. Last time I competed I was about 6 wks out and he asked how I felt... I replied, "I hate my job, I hate this town, I hate my bf (he's now an ex)." He said, "good you are right on track" and laughed.

I love the way I look when I'm cutting; however, it plays mind games with you. It's hard to maintain that look year round, so at some point you start gaining weight back. That's when you start feeling fat, and most people don't see you that way. You have to mentally prepare yourself for the post-competition trauma. I don't know if guys go through this or if it is just a woman thing. You don't really have much support, so it's something you have to deal with by yourself.

You can always email me Sass!

I dont know about you guys, but i love life and am such a joy to be around when prepping for a show! Imagine a beautiful sunshine day with rainbows and blooming flowers......THATS ME!;)

To be honest I feel like I am going to die.....And I am happy I feel like that because I know I am ready.....

That and when people that don't know anything about bodybuidling like most of my friends take a look at me and go:

"Are you sick or something your face is all sunken in!!!" I know I am ready to go....LOL...:p :D

I dont know about you guys, but i love life and am such a joy to be around when prepping for a show! Imagine a beautiful sunshine day with rainbows and blooming flowers......THATS ME!;)

WTF EVER!:sta'-wars

Lol! I suppose that small animals come up to you for no reason and birds fly around you and sing all day long too! :D

That and when people that don't know anything about bodybuidling like most of my friends take a look at me and go:

"Are you sick or something your face is all sunken in!!!" I know I am ready to go....LOL...:p :D

I had an older student who was very motherly call me aside after class once and asked me, "Is there something wrong?" Me: "No, what do you mean?" Her: "You've lost a lot of weight, your clothes are just hanging off you, I've been getting very worried. You seem so tired all the time." :sl;eping- I tried to tell her not to worry but she wouldn't let it go, I finally told her why and it made sense to her then.

Lol! I suppose that small animals come up to you for no reason and birds fly around you and sing all day long too! :D

I had an older student who was very motherly call me aside after class once and asked me, "Is there something wrong?" Me: "No, what do you mean?" Her: "You've lost a lot of weight, your clothes are just hanging off you, I've been getting very worried. You seem so tired all the time." :sl;eping- I tried to tell her not to worry but she wouldn't let it go, I finally told her why and it made sense to her then.

Main is so sweet and sensative when he is prep'ing. He takes up quilting with his idle time and visits seniors in nursing homes! Even when he is lifting he will say, "Could you please touch the weight on the last rep to assist, thank you kindly".

Main is so sweet and sensative when he is prep'ing. He takes up quilting with his idle time and visits seniors in nursing homes! Even when he is lifting he will say, "Could you please touch the weight on the last rep to assist, thank you kindly".

In all seriousness, i have tried getting ready for shows multiple ways. I have found if im not "losing it" within the last few weeks, im not ready. Im sure there are more/better ways to do it, but this has worked for me.

One of the reasons i dont like doing shows every year is i hate the person i become the last month......to me its just not worth it.

Last edited:
There is something surreal about the experience of seeing your body transform into such extreme condition, like looking at someone in a magazine, except it's you. I always worried that I would wake up and it would be gone.

The last few weeks I would cover up in public b/c the condition was drawing too much attention. But with friends and other bber's...little to no clothes :D

(Sassy, post was mentally tougher than prep for me too. All the guys were like "EAT UP, enjoy yourself, you're offseason now" and I kept fighting it.)

(FutureFreak, I held an extra 3 weeks for a second show and cannot imagine doing that for 5 months. I was losing my will to live. You must have some exceptional genetics and mental toughness.)

In all seriousness, i have tried getting ready for shows multiple ways. I have found if im not "losing it" within the last few weeks, im not ready. Im sure there are more/better ways to do it, but this has worked for me.

One of the reasons i dont like doing shows every year is i hate the person i become the last month......to me its just not worth it.

I must def. be ready then ..... ask Tim!

weird...its been awhile since i dieted for a show but this is what i noticed........

i get very very deep into music, i feel this stems from having an emotional connection towards food. that emotional outlet is no longer there so it shifts to music.

i get very very anal about cleaning. i get very very energetic when i get really lean so i clean the house over and over. i washed and waxed my car hours before i had to leave for my show.

i spend $$$, i guess in a way i feel sorry for myself so i reward myself. lol, wife came home one evening when i was about 3 weeks out and the living room was covered in boxes and styrafoam. i went to circuit city and bought all kinds of stereo equiptment, dvd player, speakers, monster cables, etc. lol. guess buying the audio equiptment relates to the music being my emotional outlet.

weird...its been awhile since i dieted for a show but this is what i noticed........

i get very very deep into music, i feel this stems from having an emotional connection towards food. that emotional outlet is no longer there so it shifts to music.

i get very very anal about cleaning. i get very very energetic when i get really lean so i clean the house over and over. i washed and waxed my car hours before i had to leave for my show.

i spend $$$, i guess in a way i feel sorry for myself so i reward myself. lol, wife came home one evening when i was about 3 weeks out and the living room was covered in boxes and styrafoam. i went to circuit city and bought all kinds of stereo equiptment, dvd player, speakers, monster cables, etc. lol. guess buying the audio equiptment relates to the music being my emotional outlet.

Funny you mention that....now that i think about it i go on a spending spree as well. Clothes, shoes, you name it.

The only thing I like about being in contest shape is looking in the mirror, seeing the body change from day to day (and other people gawking at my condition). Every morning is like christmas getting up to check and see if your condition improved.

Other than that, I feel very small and puny. When I put on my shirts and pants I wonder to myself how in the hell I ever used to completley fill them out b/c they are just soooo big on me at that time. My stomach usually feels like it is eating itself and I can almsot feel myself losing fat/weight and can tell if I am going to wake up lighter than I was the day before.

My joints usually get achy in the gym when I am that lean and it causes my poundages to go down some, although I do not really get that much weaker, usually.

I am able survive on less sleep it seems, however, I am much more tired during the day, it's hard to explain. Due to the amount of dedication it takes to get there I seem to prioritize eating and training more than I do in the offseason which can sometimes cause me to become a little introverted, which I do NOT like.

When I smile I feel like myf ace doesnt even move b/c there is no fat on my cheeks (jsut cheek bones) and it is so sunken in.

And oh yea....when I look at myself or at pictures I do not even think I am really that lean. It is not until I get fat again in the offseason that I even realize how lean I was...its weird.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear