over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you lift

sinfulimages

Registered
I have been watching some Dorian videos on youtube and for the last 6 weeks I have been putting more weight on every set and after 2 warm ups (on my first exercise) I do 2 sets gradually getting heavier then one really heavy set. Sometimes 2 heavy sets where I am failing at 10-12.

I heard you want to switch your routine every 6 to 8 weeks. So you lift the same amount of weight for 3 sets? When you change your routine do you change all of it or just sub one exercise.

Discuss.

Everyone is different.

Personally, I vary my exercises and rep ranges every workout and track it in a spreadsheet. By the time I hit that exercise at that particular rep range again 3-4 weeks has gone by so by the time I hit my working sets I know if I don't have more weight on it than last time (I shoot for 5 lbs on presses and rows and 10 lbs deads/squats per month as a guideline) I'm screwing up somehow. On the few exercises I'm not periodizing I try to bump my rep count up on my working sets until I've added 3-4 reps then bump up the weight and drop my reps.

The downside of this is it takes either a fantastic memory or meticulous note taking.

Right on. I keep a log of all my weights and reps. Its kind of a pain in the ass. But I cant count the amount of times I have had to back reference in my log.

Its a very valuable thing to have. I have gained a lot of strength lately. Upping the weight every set. So essentially I am only doing one really heavy set. I am going to change things up a bit when this training week is over for me. I am just trying to get ideas from this thread.

alittle O/T but does anyone track there progress with there phones instead of using notebooks. I use my black berry with the memo pad.

alittle O/T but does anyone track there progress with there phones instead of using notebooks. I use my black berry with the memo pad.

I tried this and got sweat in my key board. LOL since this topic is up. I found the answer I was looking for.

I just put it in my IPHONE and text it to myself, lol. When I get home I write it in the notebook. I hate carrying a notebook around, the gym is too crowded and I always have to try to find a good place for it. Also for some reason my pen seems to stop writing the second I get to the gym. :D

I bring a netbook with my spreadsheet open and just leave it on my gym bag with my gear. This means I have to keep that sucker close, though.

I train DC right now.

I do my warmup sets then I have my Rest Pause set. I shoot for a target number of reps with the highest weight I can go. Say 14 total reps to start, then the next time I do that exercise I shoot for 15, then 16 and so on until I get to 18.

Once I get to 18 I up the weight by 20lbs and start again at 14 and repeat. Remember this is total reps, so if I'm shooting for 14 reps I'd probably do 8, rest, 4, rest, 2. Then when I do 15 I need to add a rep to one of those, at 16 I'd have to add a rep to two or two more at the end. Whatever it takes to reach failure 3 times and hit my target number of reps with a slow, controlled negative and an explosive positive.

i do that too. it's too easy to forget a logbook...it isn't part of the triad of keys, wallet, phone

I always get looks like I am on my phone but I am logging the work out while I rest.

I have the old logbook with me in the gym. It's been getting brutalized lately:D
If you've been doing volume and it isn't working, HIT is a good change. I prefer DC.

Ifitness for the iPhone has made my life of keeping a log alot easier, I believe there is a similar free one....

I like to keep my stuff basic. I see way too many people in my gym who try to re-invent the wheel and get nowhere in the process. Im old school, I track my progress with pen and paper. Stick to one bodypart per day and go 2 days on, 1 day off. Every 8th week is a week off. I still love the basic movements like bench, deads, and squats. I do like doing the FST-7 style as well.

I like to keep my stuff basic. I see way too many people in my gym who try to re-invent the wheel and get nowhere in the process. Im old school, I track my progress with pen and paper. Stick to one bodypart per day and go 2 days on, 1 day off. Every 8th week is a week off. I still love the basic movements like bench, deads, and squats. I do like doing the FST-7 style as well.

Why 8 weeks on 1 off?

I love watching Dorian Yates, his methods and explanations are spot on. Its hard to believe that as a pro he never did one squat....

Why 8 weeks on 1 off?

No particular reason sinful. Just something I've always done. I've noticed after 7 or 8 weeks in the gym solid, that I tend to get a little burn out going, so I take a full week away, and just relax. I don't stray from eating properly, but I do things at home or go and see friends when I normally wouldn't have the time because of work and training. Also this gives me a full week to rethink my strategy in the gym and change up my routine a little bit.

Last edited:
No particular reason sinful. Just something I've always done. I've noticed after 7 or 8 weeks in the gym solid, that I tend to get a little burn out going, so I take a full week away, and just relax. I don't stray from eating properly, but I do things at home or go and see friends when I normally wouldn't have the time because of work and training. Also this gives me a full week to rethink my strategy in the gym and change up my routine a little bit.

That makes sense. Is it that you just get sick of going or that you are tired and not wanting to train?

Yesterday was the first time I didnt really train on a "training day" in 3 months. I woke up exhausted kinda half ass lifted my first 2 exercises and came back inside and took a nap. My body was beat up and my mind was exhausted so I stopped. Feel a lot better today.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131